Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 08-03-2005, 09:12 PM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tq2k
Thanks man! I wonder if the rear bumper cover would fit the 4.4?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 PM
tq2k's Avatar
tq2k tq2k is offline
Yeah Baby!
Location: West Chester, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: 2004 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
Thanks man! I wonder if the rear bumper cover would fit the 4.4?
Yes it would as long as long as your X5 has PDC?
__________________
TQ2K

the "X" - '04 X5 - Alpine White/Truffle
the "M" - '03 M5 - Petrol Mica/Champagne


Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-03-2005, 10:19 PM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tq2k
Yes it would as long as long as your X5 has PDC?
Yep, thanks! I will keep an eye on it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 AM
dkl dkl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern Cal
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 569
Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
oh is that right? wow my friend was saying that starting 04's all X5's are not going to be 4-Wheel drive all the time but rather AWD partially.....but I guess he was wrong so theres no option of turning off the AWD option on the X5's 2004 ownards
I think he might have misunderstood some of the information. Prior to 2004, power distribution is fixed...something like 38% to the front and 62% towards the rear. But starting from 2004, with the new X-Drive system allows power to be shifted to the axle that has more grip. Your buddy is right that the system is capable in becoming 2WD (2-Wheel Drive), but only if traction is completely lost on one axle. So, the system can basically become a FWD (Front Wheel Drive), RWD (Rear Wheel Drive), or both (All Wheel Drive) since power can be shifted 100% to the front (when the rear axle has 0 grip), 100% towards the rear only (when the front axle has 0 grip), or anywhere in between (whatever distribution will provide the best traction)....pretty cool stuff. But this is all done automatically and almost instantaneously...so there is no button to tell the system to send 100% power to the rear axle all the time to make it RWD or 2WD.

Here's an article that will give you a bit more insight into what the new X-Drive is capable => http://www.janixworld.com/x5/misc/X5%20xdrive.pdf

Last edited by dkl; 08-04-2005 at 01:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-04-2005, 01:20 AM
SpeedFreak!'s Avatar
SpeedFreak! SpeedFreak! is offline
Certified Organic Fanatic
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,507
Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
So Mr.Boobs... I find myself needing to ask... why the hell didn't you simply get a 4.8iS?!?! At almost $67k... your almost their... and think of all you would be getting for the extra green! Seriously... dude... and don't give me the "...but it's the wife's... etc..." line of total B.S. This question is burning a hole in my head... so I must have the answer... WHY???
__________________

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 AM
DeezX5 DeezX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW X5
Ditto with speedfreak.....WHY!
__________________
2005 BMW X5 3.0i Titanium Silver on Grey leather
Navigation
Premium
Rear Climate
Xenons
Premium Sound
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:13 AM
SuperGreg's Avatar
SuperGreg SuperGreg is offline
Member of the ® club
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 416
Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
Guess what is sitting in my garage? Only one pic so far.........

Congrats! Nice ride. I love the color
__________________
Remember, "It's a dry heat"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-04-2005, 08:20 AM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
So Mr.Boobs... I find myself needing to ask... why the hell didn't you simply get a 4.8iS?!?! At almost $67k... your almost their... and think of all you would be getting for the extra green! Seriously... dude... and don't give me the "...but it's the wife's... etc..." line of total B.S. This question is burning a hole in my head... so I must have the answer... WHY???
It's for the wife

Seriously, this was sitting on the showroom floor with all the options we wanted and then some. Plus, an extra $5K - $10K exactly isn't chump change. Yes, I could've driven to SoCal or Arizona and spent all kinds of time trying to get a deal to work for a 4.8(do they even budge off MSRP on 4.8's?), but having basically exactly what we want in our own backyard was reason enough to pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-04-2005, 02:12 PM
TommyX's Avatar
TommyX TommyX is offline
Yeah right....
Location: N.Y.C.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 185
Mein Auto: 01' 4.4 Dinan S2 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
It's for the wife

Seriously, this was sitting on the showroom floor with all the options we wanted and then some. Plus, an extra $5K - $10K exactly isn't chump change. Yes, I could've driven to SoCal or Arizona and spent all kinds of time trying to get a deal to work for a 4.8(do they even budge off MSRP on 4.8's?), but having basically exactly what we want in our own backyard was reason enough to pull the trigger.

No need to justify the "why". You got what you got and its a beauty. Your reasons are valid and you're only a few ticks away from the 4.8 anyway.

Best of luck with your fine German surgical instrument.
__________________

Ask me what I DON'T have on my X, it'll just be easier...

Last edited by TommyX; 08-04-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-04-2005, 03:15 PM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyX
No need to justify the "why". You got what you got and its a beauty. Your reasons are valid and you're only a few ticks away from the 4.8 anyway.

Best of luck with your fine German surgical instrument.
Thanks man!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
SpeedFreak!'s Avatar
SpeedFreak! SpeedFreak! is offline
Certified Organic Fanatic
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,507
Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
It's for the wife

Seriously, this was sitting on the showroom floor with all the options we wanted and then some. Plus, an extra $5K - $10K exactly isn't chump change. Yes, I could've driven to SoCal or Arizona and spent all kinds of time trying to get a deal to work for a 4.8(do they even budge off MSRP on 4.8's?), but having basically exactly what we want in our own backyard was reason enough to pull the trigger.

That makes sense... as much as I hate to admit it. I meant no disgrace regarding your purchase... I love what you bought... and am certain you will enjoy it immensely. Congratulations...

... however... it was a fair question.
__________________

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-04-2005, 03:35 PM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
That makes sense... as much as I hate to admit it. I meant no disgrace regarding your purchase... I love what you bought... and am certain you will enjoy it immensely. Congratulations...

... however... it was a fair question.
No disgrace taken, it is a fair question.

Also, I remember taking a look at the very beginning of this quest at money factors/residuals for the 4.8is, and they are horrible in comparison to the 4.4's. That, along with the increase in price would've resulted in a payment that is just a few bucks shy of $1,400/month. That is more than 75% HIGHER than what I am paying on a reasonably similar vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-04-2005, 03:39 PM
SpeedFreak!'s Avatar
SpeedFreak! SpeedFreak! is offline
Certified Organic Fanatic
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,507
Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
No disgrace taken, it is a fair question.

Also, I remember taking a look at the very beginning of this quest at money factors/residuals for the 4.8is, and they are horrible in comparison to the 4.4's. That, along with the increase in price would've resulted in a payment that is just a few bucks shy of $1,400/month. That is more than 75% HIGHER than what I am paying on a reasonably similar vehicle.
Your right... ... I was thinking purchase... a lease on a 4.8 would be insane in comparison.
__________________

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-04-2005, 07:27 PM
ObD ObD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 6,836
Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Congrats. Imola is schweet.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 PM
cwsqbm's Avatar
cwsqbm cwsqbm is offline
Dreaming of Track Days
Location: Somewhere in the aether
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,090
Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
oh is that right? wow my friend was saying that starting 04's all X5's are not going to be 4-Wheel drive all the time but rather AWD partially.....but I guess he was wrong so theres no option of turning off the AWD option on the X5's 2004 ownards
They redid the AWD system, and IIRC its new marketing name is "X-drive". Its still AWD drive with no off button.
__________________
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-04-2005, 11:22 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
They redid the AWD system, and IIRC its new marketing name is "X-drive". Its still AWD drive with no off button.
Yea I guess you are right.....I spoke with my friend and he said that the new X5's are more fuel efficient in a way since those models have AWD and the car will provide power and traction to the wheels where force is being stressed the most....for instance while turning it will vary the torque split and power betweent the front/rear wheels. Whereas in the 2000-03 those trucks are all 4 wheel drive all the time......thats what I felt when I test drove the 4.4i X5 2000 and also when I drive my friends 4.4i X5 2001
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-09-2005, 04:43 PM
ssbimmerx5 ssbimmerx5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Bergen County, NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 3.0i
congrats on your gorgeous new x5. my friend just recently bought the LeMans Blue 4.8is and I thought that color was insane. but the imola red on your 4.4 looks truly amazing.. wow im speechless..

good luck with your new whip!
__________________
'03 BMW X5 3.0i - Titanium Silver / Black

[PP, SP, CWP, RCP, Navi, Xenons, V1 Hardwire, 30% Tint, Xenon-Colored Interior/License Plate LEDS, Black/Silver Carbon Fibre Roundels]

Other:

'07 Lexus GS350 AWD
'09 Lexus RX 350
'00 Mercedes Benz E-320 4-Matic
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-09-2005, 09:53 PM
TripleX5 ® TripleX5 ® is offline
Member of the ® club
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 273
Mein Auto: Imola RedII 4.8iS - 733i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
Guess what is sitting in my garage? Only one pic so far.........



Nice ride. But I don't see why you went as far as you did and didn’t opt for a 4.8?

Either way, enjoy n good luck w/her.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:08 PM
SpeedFreak!'s Avatar
SpeedFreak! SpeedFreak! is offline
Certified Organic Fanatic
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,507
Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleX5 ®
Nice ride. But I don't see why you went as far as you did and didn’t opt for a 4.8?

Either way, enjoy n good luck w/her.
Dude... I thought the same thing... and mentioned it already... if you read the thread you would have had your answer. (BTW: just giving you sh!t)
__________________

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 PM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleX5 ®
Nice ride. But I don't see why you went as far as you did and didn’t opt for a 4.8?

Either way, enjoy n good luck w/her.
Thanks! To answer your question:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=37
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-27-2005, 09:13 PM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01803.JPG
Views:	681
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	58071  
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-27-2005, 09:17 PM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
bofem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00130.JPG (14.6 KB, 500 views)
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 AM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
7" SAVV monitors w/Clarion DVD player. One monitor is tilted at a different angle and the sun was shining in through the raised rear door, thus the difference in contrast.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00078.JPG
Views:	934
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	58116  
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Daniel B Daniel B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 363
Mein Auto: X6 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
7" SAVV monitors w/Clarion DVD player. One monitor is tilted at a different angle and the sun was shining in through the raised rear door, thus the difference in contrast.

Nice!
Whats the cost for the headrest with monitors?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-28-2005, 02:39 PM
AB's Avatar
AB AB is offline
Don't worry, be happy
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,611
Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B
Nice!
Whats the cost for the headrest with monitors?
$375 each (total of $750) for the headrests with the monitors. The leather match/color is perfect.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropping off in Paris at CDG...a Couple of Questions??.. fishskis European Delivery 6 04-22-2005 10:12 PM
directions for dropping subframe to install Ireland bushings? rlcanon E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) 6 02-21-2005 08:16 AM
Dropping off in Nice--Changing travel plans-- yamilrx European Delivery 8 01-12-2005 06:05 PM
Dropping in Paris: The Definitive Guide Kanuck European Delivery 5 08-26-2003 07:28 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms