Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-03-2005, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 325IC
tail light problems on E36

I am having a tail light problem. I got the old "Tail light failure" message on the OBC, so I took a look. Sure enough, the bulb was broken. I replaced it with the correct bulb, a 21 / 4 watt, dual filament "euro tail light" bulb from Kragen. Problem is, the error message still shows up on the OBC whenever I turn the lights on.

Is it possible that the OBC retains the error message until I reset it somehow? Or is it possible that, even though I have used the same - and correct - bulb, a micro-difference in resistance between the new one and the one on the other side might be causing the system to read a fault? I have read five pages of old posts on the subject of tail light failure without finding anything that seems useful. if anyone has any clues, now's the time to roll them out. Thanks for listening.

Dan
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Not sure. Try replacing the other lamp as well.

Or perhaps the replacement bublb has a problem.

I know that when my bulb burned out I simply replaced it with the proper bulb and the error code went away.

Photobucket
Old 08-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Light at the End of the Tunnel.

This is a very common problem on E36's. I struggled for a few days when I bought my car. Usually the bulb holder metal contacts get corroded after a while. I filed them a bit with a small file and sprayed themm with WD40. I havent had a failure message in 12 months. Oh, I never did replace the light bulbs!!