Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2006 e90 / 330i (S/P)
325iT (SPORT WAGON) - DRIVES LIKE MY e46 ???

I currently drive a MY2K 323i (Sports Prem) and love it but am ready to trade it in for a new model. I would like to solicit your opinions on the Sport Wagon. My wife likes the versatility of the wagon but I do most of the driving and I am used to driving a really 'fun' car. Should I get the AWD option? What options are essential? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

iiotoko
Old 08-14-2002, 05:02 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
It will be very similar to your 323 if you get RWD. The AWD will not be the same, lower performing and less grip (unless on gravel/snow).

Go for the RWD, IMO
Old 08-14-2002, 05:11 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Re: 325iT (SPORT WAGON) - DRIVES LIKE MY e46 ???

Quote:
Originally posted by iiotoko
I currently drive a MY2K 323i (Sports Prem) and love it but am ready to trade it in for a new model. I would like to solicit your opinions on the Sport Wagon. My wife likes the versatility of the wagon but I do most of the driving and I am used to driving a really 'fun' car. Should I get the AWD option? What options are essential? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

iiotoko
The driving dynamics of the wagon are nearly identical to those of the sedan. The wagon is about 140 pounds heavier than the sedan and most of that extra weight sits on the rear wheels. Adding AWD will add 130 lbs and prevent you from being able to opt for the sport suspension. The firmness of the AWD suspension is somewhere between the base and sport of the RWD version. It also rides about .7" higher than the RWD and exhibits a little more body roll as well as comes with skinnier M+S allseasons.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 08-14-2002, 05:16 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
It will be very similar to your 323 if you get RWD. The AWD will not be the same, lower performing and less grip (unless on gravel/snow).

Go for the RWD, IMO
Nate your opinion IMO is full of BS

I love my xiT

To be honest, Nate makes a valid point. If you've already cut your teeth on BMW RWD characteristics you may be a little disappointed with the cornering, body roll, etc. with the AWD. Coming from an Accord I still find the rear bias on my wagon a nice change. I would suggest you go drive one

I did drive non-AWD sedan back to back with xi, in normal commuter type driving there is little difference IMO. It's when you go hard into a corner or off ramp when I noticed the difference. Also, when turning hard at slow speeds (i.e., parking and backing out of garage/parking space).
Old 08-14-2002, 05:18 PM
I like cookies.

Quote:
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Nate your opinion IMO is full of BS

I love my xiT

To be honest, Nate makes a valid point. If you've already cut your teeth on BMW RWD characteristics you may be a little disappointed with the cornering, body roll, etc. with the AWD. Coming from an Accord I still find the rear bias on my wagon a nice change. I would suggest you go drive one

I did drive non-AWD sedan back to back with xi, in normal commuter type driving there is little difference IMO. It's when you go hard into a corner or off ramp when I noticed the difference. Also, when turning hard at slow speeds (i.e., parking and backing out of garage/parking space).
Do xiT's come with running boards yet?

Old 08-14-2002, 05:22 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
As someone who actually owns a RWD iT, I agree.

The suspension design is identical to the other bodytypes, although the springs and shocks (I think) are ever so slightly stiffer to accomodate the extra person's worth of weight in back.

The AWD's suspension is actually a design compromise, as despite its increased ride height, suspension travel is DECREASED from RWD, both from keeping the front drivetrain from excessive binding at the limits, and to minimize excess body roll from the higher CoG (this is according to Bentley info, not pulled out of my ass).

AWD also limits certain modifications (e.g. suspension and shifter) as there are significant differences in some of these parts.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:33 PM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
Very little difference betweent the sedan and the wagon except as Clyde mentioned about a 140lbs. Like he also stated, that weight is over the rear and as I experienced at a local Auto-x that weight can be very fun.

No offense to the xiT'ers but the AWD wagon cannot be had with a true sport package and it add's even more weight. So perfomance wise stick to RWD. Snow, rain, light offroading then xiT might be your ticket

no flames pleases

jeff
Old 08-14-2002, 05:35 PM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
sorry got to throw the auto-x wagon pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auto_x_1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	2625  
Old 08-14-2002, 05:47 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:

Do xiT's come with running boards yet?

Old 08-14-2002, 05:50 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_DML
Very little difference betweent the sedan and the wagon except as Clyde mentioned about a 140lbs. Like he also stated, that weight is over the rear and as I experienced at a local Auto-x that weight can be very fun.

No offense to the xiT'ers but the AWD wagon cannot be had with a true sport package and it add's even more weight. So perfomance wise stick to RWD. Snow, rain, light offroading then xiT might be your ticket

no flames pleases

jeff
No flames, all valid points Ones I will hvae refreshed tomorrow when I have a loaner (but they usually do not have SP )

My next BMW will not be AWD, but hopefully I'll have my current one around for those snowy/yucky days
Old 08-14-2002, 05:53 PM
I like cookies.

Quote:

No flames, all valid points Ones I will hvae refreshed tomorrow when I have a loaner (but they usually do not have SP )

My next BMW will not be AWD, but hopefully I'll have my current one around for those snowy/yucky days
Ask for a manual tranny loaner
Old 08-14-2002, 06:03 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:

Ask for a manual tranny loaner
Yea right

They do have a 99 M3 Cab CPO on the lot, any chance they will let me take it for the day

sorry for the small distraction on this thread but Nate is leading me
Old 08-14-2002, 06:03 PM
I like cookies.

Quote:

Yea right

They do have a 99 M3 Cab CPO on the lot, any chance they will let me take it for the day

sorry for the small distraction on this thread but Nate is leading me
Why not?

edit: btw, the original question was answered long ago
Old 08-14-2002, 06:10 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Quote:

Why not?

edit: btw, the original question was answered long ago
I'll ask but the Serv MGR will

Just trying to be PC
Old 08-14-2002, 07:12 PM
I like cookies.

Quote:

I'll ask but the Serv MGR will

Just trying to be PC
Why?

I've asked and was not laughed at. This was a while ago though. I got a white on tan manual 328i
Old 08-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Touring with Traction

Mein Auto: 2009 328i XDrive Touring
Re: 325iT (SPORT WAGON) - DRIVES LIKE MY e46 ???

Quote:
Originally posted by iiotoko

Thanks !!

iiotoko
I think the question of AWD vs RWD depends on whether you expect to drive on poor traction surfaces or not. For normal road use, the extra weight and slightly more body lean of an Xi vs RWD is a negative, but in snow or ice, particularly with hills, the very first time AWD gets you home when the RWD guys are our there pushing will be worth it! Add things such as 4 wheel DSC, and HDC, and your winter driving experience just got a lot better.

I now have an XiT, I had an E36 coupe - the enjoyment factor is equal, the security factor is a huge plus.