Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 650i
SMG for '06 650

I am looking to order an '06 650 for ED. I am trying to decide on whether or not I should get the SMG or Steptronic. My dilema is not the additional cost (req'd performance package and gas guzzler tax), but the "smoothness" of its shifts. I have test driven an '05 M3 with SMG, and was very disappointed in the shifting when in the least aggressive mode. No delaer around the central Texas area, has an SMG version. If anyone has a 645 with and SMG, can you comment? Would you buy it again/ Can you drink coffee on the way to work in the morning, or does it shift like by 16 year old daughter?
Ads by Google
Old 08-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
I don't have a 645 (and won't for many years), but I think I can safely
say (based on posts from other people) that the SMG is for people who want
a manual. If you are at all concerned about the smoothness of the SMG
in automated mode, you'll probably be happier w/ the Step.

My 325 has the SMG and you can make the shifts smoother by easing
off the throttle a little when it shifts, but I don't think its worth getting
if that's a concern.

-C.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp_Austin
I am looking to order an '06 650 for ED. I am trying to decide on whether or not I should get the SMG or Steptronic. My dilema is not the additional cost (req'd performance package and gas guzzler tax), but the "smoothness" of its shifts. I have test driven an '05 M3 with SMG, and was very disappointed in the shifting when in the least aggressive mode. No delaer around the central Texas area, has an SMG version. If anyone has a 645 with and SMG, can you comment? Would you buy it again/ Can you drink coffee on the way to work in the morning, or does it shift like by 16 year old daughter?
SMG like a true manual does require a certain amount of skills. My question to you is this, are you the type of guy who has the ability and skill to drive a manual tranny as smooth as an auto slush box?? If so, you have nuthing to worry about, you'd have to be ther biggest moron in the world to not be able to adopt the SMG.

OTOH, if you are the type of person who can't seem to figure how anyone can drive a manual tranny as good as a slush box and doesn't understand the concept of clutch and gearing..., HOUSTON.... we have a problem... and stay away from SMG because the system ain't for you.

I hope this helps in your selection process. As for myself, after my purchase of my 2005 545 SMG, there is NFW I would buy anything else. I have a 650 on order, and I would definitely stick w/ SMG (provided the system is not delayed to long), and am looking forward to my M6 w/ SMG III in spring

beewang
Old 08-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp_Austin
I.....Can you drink coffee on the way to work in the morning, or does it shift like by 16 year old daughter?.........
That is up to you.... but yes.. the car can be driven very smoothly if you take the time to learn to drive the car. But remember.... this is a manual w/ computer controlled clutch, and not a slush box w/ shiftng paddles on teh RX-8's

cheers,

beewang
Old 08-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
I have a 645 with SMG and I absolutely love it. But just about every car I have ever owned was a stick... so I like that type of performance, control and feel.

My last car (2004 545i Step) was just incredibly boring for me and so I sold it.

It all depends on your personality and driving style.
2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
SMG Smoothness

I just got done putting 1850 miles on my 2005 645Ci during an ED. First off, the SMG in the 645 is NOT like the SMG I test drove a year ago in a 330. Much smoother and more civilized in 'D' mode. Not quite like a full Automatic, but close under most conditions. Shifts were smooth, not jerky, and if you drove smoothly, your passenger might not even know it wasn't an Automatic.

On the other hand, quickly changing throttle positions (like cutting in and out of traffic in Munich and Rome) you might expect the tranny to shift at points in the transition where it just doesn't. At those times you are reminded that it is not an Auto where you can predict an upshift when you lift up a bit on the gas. You know how you can "shift" an Auto up or down by knowing how much gas it will take to make it up/down shift? Well, the SMG will also up/down shift by itself in 'D' mode, but not always when you expect. Not worse, just different.

And yeah, I used 'D' mode a lot when I was driving in heavy traffic in unfamilair cities and trying to pay attention to the Nav system and traffic, so not having to shift in those conditions was ok by me. Also for the first 2000 km you are not supposed to use Sport mode (quicker SMG shifts) and keep the revs below 4000 and the speed to 100 mph, so the fun really begins when the car shows up off the boat in 6 more weeks.

I did use the SMG in manual mode a lot on twisty country roads in Tuscany, and it was a blast. You have to learn when to shift (how much lead time from when you want the gear change actually done) but like anything else, you develop a feel for the machinery and life's good.

Since I have to drive in stop and go Honolulu traffic too often and since my wife may occasionally have to drive the car, the SMG made sense for me. I have no regrets about ordering this tranny.