Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Dealer says SMG does not sell??

I just went to check out the E60 because I am interested in teh SMG tranny. Its one of the biggest reasons not to go with a Lexus GS. The dealer did not have one on the lot that I could drive, and the closest one is aout 70 miles away... and Im in So. Cali!! he said that the SMG isnt selling because people expect it to be like the M3 SMG but it is not... he said that it is really slow in Auto mode, and it will give the car a big jerk, not a smooth ride.

He said 90% of E60's are ordered with Steptronic...

Can you guys give your impressions on the SMG? Its an expensive option because sport package is required, so I want to get as much input as possible. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2005, 10:58 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium
I just went to check out the E60 because I am interested in teh SMG tranny. Its one of the biggest reasons not to go with a Lexus GS. The dealer did not have one on the lot that I could drive, and the closest one is aout 70 miles away... and Im in So. Cali!! he said that the SMG isnt selling because people expect it to be like the M3 SMG but it is not... he said that it is really slow in Auto mode, and it will give the car a big jerk, not a smooth ride.

Can you guys give your impressions on the SMG? Its an expensive option because sport package is required, so I want to get as much input as possible. Thanks.
The "no one buys SMG" on the E60 part is pretty close to true. I've never seen an E60 with SMG since the launch, and I've only seen SMG on a couple of 645s.

For what it's worth, our response to the non-M SMG tranny has been poor. Our first Z4 with SMG ended up turning out to be a disaster, and the owner traded it in with a substantial financial loss after only 2 weeks because he hated the SMG.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Bimerizing Everyone

Send a message via AIM to katheikia
Mein Auto: 550 SMG
Thumbs up

I drove a 545 with smg a couple of months ago, and I am a die-hard stick man. The smg on the car was incredible, shifted gears in nano seconds, when in automatic mode, it did feel like it was double clutching, the auto mode should be viewed for your wife to drive, or someone who is not into shifting. If you want true performance the smg is a must. Mine will be in smg mode 99% of the time.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:

I've driven an E60 with SMG over a significant number of days/miles. True, the auto mode is not as smooth as an automatic. True, that mode can be a bit jerky at times, though it is much improved after you press the sport button.

However, it is the only option that will truly let you change your own gears but have a fallback for rush-hour driving. I bought my E39/steptronic thinking I would get that "almost a manual tranny" feel and have been sorely disappointed (though that is the only disappointment). SMG is what I was really after.

I like it.

Bill
'71 2002 Green/Black - GONE
Old 08-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
The "no one buys SMG" on the E60 part is pretty close to true. I've never seen an E60 with SMG since the launch, and I've only seen SMG on a couple of 645s.

For what it's worth, our response to the non-M SMG tranny has been poor. Our first Z4 with SMG ended up turning out to be a disaster, and the owner traded it in with a substantial financial loss after only 2 weeks because he hated the SMG.

Outside of the M3, SMG has been a marketing disaster. Which may partly explain why BMW is moving away from that technology.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
The rumors of the SMG demise are likely quite exaggerated.

The E90 will get the SMG... just not at first. We're not sure when... but it's definitely coming. It will always be a niche option designed for enthusiast... just like the manual. It's not suppose to feel like a Step... and it never will. I also agree that the non-M version is less desirable... I'm a huge fan of the M version and will order my M with it next year. With that being said... even the non-M version is really cool when driven correctly. It will be really cool to see how the SMG works in the E90... hopefully it will be tuned for better performance then the one in the E46.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 08-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Proud S ponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!

The E90 will get the SMG...
I'll bet you a dollar it won't
Old 08-06-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek
I'll bet you a dollar it won't
How about a beer... I'll bet you a beer and a laugh... that it does.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Proud S ponsor

Quote:
How about a beer... I'll bet you a beer and a laugh... that it does.
k...but loser drives to winner's location.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:

Outside of the M3, SMG has been a marketing disaster. Which may partly explain why BMW is moving away from that technology.
If BMW does indeed abandon that technology, are they going to offer something else that perhaps more widely accepted, or will it be back to just stick or slushie?
Old 08-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Proud S ponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
If BMW does indeed abandon that technology, are they going to offer something else that perhaps more widely accepted, or will it be back to just stick or slushie?
Think DSG. Only better.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Your on... however it works... it will still be called SMG...

...DEAL?

Old 08-06-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I like mine tall and cold... really cold...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMGproof(small).JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	55074  

Old 08-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Proud S ponsor

Quote:
I like mine tall and cold... really cold...
Not so fast there, Speedy...

If you run that search on DCS you'll see zero units...not even a single one on order. And if you try to order a 330 with SMG, it can't be done. Even the September builds won't let you. It's simply not there.

And I'll take my beer at Woody's at the Beach in Laguna.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Not so fast there, Speedy...

If you run that search on DCS you'll see zero units...not even a single one on order. And if you try to order a 330 with SMG, it can't be done. Even the September builds won't let you. It's simply not there.

And I'll take my beer at Woody's at the Beach in Laguna.

I know... I know... of course I tried that... BUT... that option was NOT there during the initial E90 build... AND... its quite typical for an option to show up in the system early... even though it's not available for order... YET. I'm saying... as I mentioned in my earlier post...

Quote:
We're not sure when... but it's definitely coming.
So... although I know I will need to wait a little while to collect my winnings... ... I'm sure we'll be discussing a local Pub here in San Diego... hmmm... let me see... Gas Lamp? Pacific Beach? Old Town? Decisions... decisions... I'll let you know.

(Although... I might add... I wouldn't mind losing... I love Woody's !)

Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: E46
So it still sounds like the SMG offered in the E60 kinda sucks? But may get better in other BMW models in the future?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:

I've driven manual transmissions since my first car in high school (a Fiat 124 Spider--great little car), and wouldn't think of driving a sports car with anything else. My first BMW (an early E39 company car when I lived in Amsterdam) was a stick as well. When the 545i was first released 2 dealers had a SMG car on the lot and I took each (about a week apart) for a half hour test drive, since I didn't want a stick and thought SMG would be a good compromise. Do not think of it as a substitute for an automatic trans (steptronic is one of the best)--the shifts in auto mode are jerky. I'd strongly suggest driving a E60 SMG before buying one. When I was shopping for my car in January, not one dealer had a SMG in stock or in the pipeline--most dealers said they only order SMG for customer ordered cars. There are a bunch of folks on this board that love SMG, so mine is only one person's opinion--you really need to drive one yourself.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:09 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Talking 645Cic SMG

Hello My Friends:

I drive a 645ic SMG with all the works. I would drive my next car with SMG.
I am and have been a 6MT driver since my driving career.
SMG is for those who seek performance shifting and enjoy power shifting.
AutoMode was not meant to replicate an Automatic; therefore don't expect it to take on those traits.

I hear SMGIII is better and would love to test drive it.

Back to memory lane...

Remember when you could not test drive a 540i at dealerships. Why? Because only real enthusiasts new what this car was and ordered it waiting for 7-8 weeks. It took about 2 years for dealers to begin stocking 540i's, so I guess you get where this on is going... Same applies to the SMG... You will see more on the lots in the coming years...

Good Luck what ever you decide.

-GMAN

> >

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 08-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Folks,

I've driven a 545i/SMG for 3k miles now. This is new technology and therefore it takes a fair amount of time to LEARN how to drive the SMG. A half-hour test drive will leave a very sour taste in your mouth if you've never experienced one before. I had a hard time adjusting to my SMG for the first couple of days of driving and I was regretting getting it. I felt the auto mode in non-sport mode was pure crap although the sport mode improved it a lot, it was still hurky-jerky.

Fast-forward a few months and a few thousand miles and I am now comfortable driving it and I LOVE it! What a wonderful compromise to make a true manual transmission into an automatic as opposed to a true automatic into a manual.

I'd say if you are adventurous and don't mind a learning curve, the SMG can be a fun, fun transmission to have in your E60. Put it in automatic mode and sport mode and just mash the accelerator and keep it floored and you will have the biggest grin on your face when you feel how fast and hard and sharp the tranny shifts--it is quite exhilirating.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport w/SAT
I concur with the others that SMG is incredible -- once you have some extended seat time with it. Anyone who says they test drove it (for less than, say, a month) and didn't like it is likely basing their decision on bad information.

SMG is the future of manual transmissions, in my opinion. Remember, cars used to have cranks instead of starters, etc.

2008 Alpine White 550i w/Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Cold-Weather Package, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Sunshades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter.
Build completed June 4, 2007

2004 Alpine White 545i SMG -- gone but not forgotten!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Mr. Registered User

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
SMG is pretty good

I've test driven a 530i for 30 min. in Auto mode. Why in auto mode you ask? Because I couldn't remember which direction is up shift and which one is down. That's why many people don't choose SMG with just a test drive.

I've also driven only stick shifts all my 20 years driving life, but now, I am a SMG convert. I took the proverbial leap of faith and ordered my car with SMG based solery on SMG owners recommendation (Beewang). I have to admit, prior to CIP 16.1 the clutch curve was very abrupt in low speed driving. But now, it drives pretty good. Like everything else, it takes a little time for your body to memorize this new shift pattern. You'll soon be shifting without paying attention. The shift quality is much better than you can do on your own on a consistent basis. My family will agree to this.

The sport mode is still not as fast as the M3's fast settings, but it is perfect for a 5'er. I love the crisp snap accompanied with the forward surge, this is not the same feeling as shifting on a steptronic. Much sportier shifts than what step can offer. If you like matching revs, then choose the stick, otherwise, SMG is just as sporty.

The only thing negative against SMG is its unproven reliability. Just like automatic transmission when it first came out, it took some times for perfection. I already have my whole transmission replaced at 1,500 miles. I am not sure I will keep mine car after the warranty expires. I guess I just have to worry about it later.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 08-09-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: Boxster S
this isn't exactly surprising. how many manual 5s are sold in the US? 10%? maybe?

most 5 buyers want a luxury car with sportiness, not a sports car with luxury. only the enthusiasts care about SMG or manual, and they are a tiny speck of the 5 buyer universe

i've driven the SMG in the M3 several times...while cool, i would never spend 2400 bucks on 1 over a manual. at least it is a free option on the 5
Old 08-09-2005, 02:43 PM
swinging a big stick

Mein Auto: 03 525iT & 06 Z4 3.0si
5 years from now do you want to be buying a new clutch or new SMG? I stick with simplicity so I dont get hit with 10,000 trannie repair bills (like my neighbor whose XJ-8 auto just took a crap)
Old 08-09-2005, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550 (soon)
Smg....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Folks

I've driven a 545i/SMG for 3k miles now. This is new technology and therefore it takes a fair amount of time to LEARN how to drive the SMG. A half-hour test drive will leave a very sour taste in your mouth if you've never experienced one before. I had a hard time adjusting to my SMG for the first couple of days of driving and I was regretting getting it. I felt the auto mode in non-sport mode was pure crap although the sport mode improved it a lot, it was still hurky-jerky.

Fast-forward a few months and a few thousand miles and I am now comfortable driving it and I LOVE it! What a wonderful compromise to make a true manual transmission into an automatic as opposed to a true automatic into a manual.

I'd say if you are adventurous and don't mind a learning curve, the SMG can be a fun, fun transmission to have in your E60. Put it in automatic mode and sport mode and just mash the accelerator and keep it floored and you will have the biggest grin on your face when you feel how fast and hard and sharp the tranny shifts--it is quite exhilirating.
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THIS SITE..HOPE I AM DOING IT RIGHT!
I HOPE ALL WHO SUPPORT SMG ARE CORRECT. I JUST ORDERED A 2006 550 SMG, AND HOPE I DID THE RIGHT THING. I LOVE PERFORMANCE AND SPEED SHIFTING..AND OF COURSE QUICK AND RESPOSNIVE DRIVING... DID I DO THE RIGHT THING ORDERING THE SMG WHILE HAVE NEVER DRIVEN ONE??
Old 08-09-2005, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRaven
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THIS SITE..HOPE I AM DOING IT RIGHT!
I HOPE ALL WHO SUPPORT SMG ARE CORRECT. I JUST ORDERED A 2006 550 SMG, AND HOPE I DID THE RIGHT THING. I LOVE PERFORMANCE AND SPEED SHIFTING..AND OF COURSE QUICK AND RESPOSNIVE DRIVING... DID I DO THE RIGHT THING ORDERING THE SMG WHILE HAVE NEVER DRIVEN ONE??
STOP YELLING AT US!!!!!

Seriously--how did you order a 550i SMG when SMG and manual trans aren't yet available for the 550i?