Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream
STOP YELLING AT US!!!!!

Seriously--how did you order a 550i SMG when SMG and manual trans aren't yet available for the 550i?
Wondering the same exact thing myself...

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Maybe his dealer took his order and is waiting to actually PLACE the order?

Do we even know if the 550 will have SMG as an option? I thought I herard rumors that it might be nixed....
Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Maybe his dealer took his order and is waiting to actually PLACE the order?

Do we even know if the 550 will have SMG as an option? I thought I herard rumors that it might be nixed....
We're being told yes... but in the second or third month of production... MAYBE... nothing is for sure, yet.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
I read somewhere where Panke admitted that BMW made a mistake by ever including an automatic mode with either of their SMG offerings.

Now, back to the 550 tranny options...I assume that BMW is not going to nix the 6sp manual from the 550, right? One of the things I love about BMW is that they offer manual trannies in every model except the 7er. I will be very disappointed with BMW if they can the manual tranny option in the 550.

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
My turn to rant...

- The car dealer's are such "chicken $hit" (you dealer boys better put on your nomex suit ) The GM at the dealership knows only 3 colors(Black, Silver and white) and one tranny (Automatic Steptronic). No Navigation, and no PDC (unless BMW makes it standard) Why??!! BECAUSE ITS EASY TO SELL and it creates lesser debate for a customer deciding so we can closed the deal tonight and get paid tomorrow Its the reality of life, minimize the work and get paid on the deal NOW

So why is SMG NOT selling well?? Perhaps its because no one wants to take the chance and order one. True, the earlier batch had some issues, but this is nuthing new to you tinmens, because you have been around w/ BMW. And that you go thru this all the time when a new model or new toy is introduced. Did you dismiss selling the 7 series because of the (huge) initial quality issues in the first 2 years?? Did you tell a client who is looking at a 7 to buy a Lexus because you had problem w/ it on the initial batch?? Did you tell a client to not look at the M3 because the engine blows up??NO!!!
So then WTF would you dismiss the SMG because of the initial batch issues?? This is a German car for Pete's sake!! It will have its glitches on new model/items. You can also bet your a$$ that black E90 steptronic you sold today (and everyday before that) will be back w/ some glitches and maybe a major issue.

Yes, non M SMG does not shift as fast as M version, BUT you need to put things into context!! The non-M SMG STILL SHIFT faster than most human being (Unless you are Hans Stuck and if you are reading this, you are not Hans).

So I will tell you why SMG is not selling... I will tell you why you cannot find a SMG in SoCal market to drive. Its because unless you spend enough time in it, you will NOT realize the full capability of BMW SMG. Its w/ statement like this that most salesman are saying, that SMG is not/ cannot sell: " ...welll.. SMG is like a VERY bad automatic and, it shifts rough and slow and it feels like you are drivinga car w/ 2 cylinders turned off.."
Now... w/ a description like that... you will not sell any cars.. would you buy that car if that is how it is describe to you.

So why is it that SMG has a such a bad rap when talking to dealers?? You know... the guys who sells them and lives them and (supposively) know them??
1) Lack of interest in them... Now, cars is an interest of mine I wash it i drive it and i maintain it, and when I am NOT doing the above, i am watching speedchannel dreaming about However, this car thing is just a "job" for someone in the business.. you know..work as in four letter word, and as a way of collecting a paycheck so I can go enjoy life when i am done w/ my weekly "bell to bell" shift. Now I am not saying every one is like that... but most are.. (God know i used to do that as well)

2) Since the GM didn't order the car that way... i have gotta sell what I have. And what i have are the Black, Silver and white steptronic cars with black interior and no nav As a "professional" I have gotta take the cards that I am dellt with and sell what I have. And any color/option combo i do not have i will down play it. That's my job and I am very good at it .

Okay...rant off...Flame thrower off..

I have had over 15 BMW's and in SMG/Manual and steptronic variant. I can tell you that I am sold on SMG and will ALWAYS get it if available. Anyone who are stubborn and say that either the Manual tranny or Steptronic tranny are better than the SMG, you are either ignorant or just fooling yourself. I will out run you, and out drive you everytime on the same car w/ SMG, unless your name is Hans Stuck

beewang

Last edited by beewang; 08-12-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Hey Beewang! I think you missed your calling!

Seriously, you make some good points....
Old 08-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Ah, good to see Bee boil up a bit...it is good for his large a$$!

Basically, that is what I said about the SMG...there is a learning curve to using it and a 1/2-hour test drive assuming you can find one will most likely TURN YOU OFF of the SMG if you've never tried one before. That is unfortunate as most folks won't read this thread and learn otherwise that the SMG is truely an awesome transmission...it just takes some miles to learn it is awesome.

Hmmm, if these tranny's are so rare, maybe I should rent out some time to folks on my 545i/SMG!! Maybe I can get the dealers here in the BA to pay me to allow some of their potential customers to try out an SMG!! hahaha...NFW.... They wouldn't anyway since all they have are slushies on the lot....

I think I now see the reason why the SMGs were a zero cost upgrade when I bought my car. BMW marketing hasn't done a great job introducing these trannys and BMW's choice for colors also sux...everything is black, grey or white. Geez, they have 3 or 4 shades of grey fer chrissakes!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
The non-M SMG STILL SHIFT faster than most human being
Wanna race?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Bring it ON!!! fatboy

love,

bee

P.S. Just because you sell it, doesn't mean you can drive it ... Punk!!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Oh snap.

It's ON bee-yotch-wang!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
My turn to rant...

- The car dealer's are such "chicken $hit" (you dealer boys better put on your nomex suit ) ...

beewang

Let me just say... that I have had conversations EXACTLY like this one with my GSM... including the "you little shicken sh!t... grow some freakin' balls" part of things...

Old 08-12-2005, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
I drove the 645CI with SMG at the Drive for the Cure last weekend. They asked me to leave it in auto mode, and within a few blocks I had already decided it sucked. Jerky doesn't begin to describe it. A mile or two later, I must have grabbed the shift lever too hard, because I was suddenly in SMG mode and didn't know how to return it to auto. A limited experience for sure, but make mine manual.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Bo-ma-win!

So you drove it for 25 mins for the first time and decided it suxed ?? recalling the first time you drove a stick for 25 mins and you loved it??!!

Did ya read this part of Agent99's post

http://forums.bimmerfest.com/showpos...7&postcount=19
To each its own, but i don't think you gave SMG a fair shake, and unfortunately you won't be able to unless you bought one

cheers,

beewang
Old 08-12-2005, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Very well said beewang!

To give a real example, when I was placing an order for an X3 back in June, I was dealing with a CA who's very sincere, polite, and enthusiastic on the first few phone calls and emails UNTIL I mentioned that I wanted a 6sp manual. After that, he never returned my phone calls, nor emails. I really wanted to complain to the sales manager but just didn't want to waste time dealing with them. Most dealers hate selling manual (and SMG), a challenge to them I guess. In fact, the CA may not even know how to drive them.

Also, remember that the SMG supporters are actually coming from the manual group. Considering the low percentage of the manual crowd to begin with, the SMG population would even be more scarce. Perhaps, if BMW can make the SMG in auto mode as smooth as the Step, they may gain some auto transmission supporters, who will of course never switch gear themselves.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbscott
I drove the 645CI with SMG at the Drive for the Cure last weekend. They asked me to leave it in auto mode, and within a few blocks I had already decided it sucked. Jerky doesn't begin to describe it. A mile or two later, I must have grabbed the shift lever too hard, because I was suddenly in SMG mode and didn't know how to return it to auto. A limited experience for sure, but make mine manual.
Sounds about par for the course. Be sure to read the whole thread...as long as you make an informed decision, that is great!
Old 08-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Found this quote on the internet:

"(SMG) is not an automatic transmission per se, and if you put an emphasis on smooth shifts, it should not be your choice. While the Steptronic is an automatic with a manual feature, the SMG is a manual with an automatic feature. It has a clutch but no clutch pedal, and in automatic mode it works as if the machinery is working the clutch for you, which it is. In short, the SMG can be great fun, and it works impressively if you're driving hard. If you're puttering about more casually, or even commuting, the conventional Steptronic is far more pleasing. The SMG should be reserved for committed enthusiast drivers."

great thread....

[His] 2006 750i Sport - Jet Black, 21" wheels, premium sound, luxury seating, convenience, comfort access, Sirius (Jet)
[Hers] 2008 650i - Metallic Black, Sports, Prem Sound, HUD, HD Radio, Cold Weather, Sirius (Shiloh)

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)
Old 08-13-2005, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I just got my M3 SMG ZCP and I was very impressed with the shifting smoothness in A3. Yes, its not steptronic, its not meant to be.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i/SMG
Love my SMG

For a year now I've been driving a 2004 530i with SMG. When I bought the car the dealer had to do a trade to get it. In all of SoCal there was only five SMG 5's for me to choose from. I just picked the one with the other two options I wanted: Sport, Premium, Premium sound.

I love it. I never use Auto except in traffic when I'm messing with my cell phone... I can't see myself ever buying a car without SMG again. It is wonderful.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

sdriver,

Welcome to the 'Fest! Nice first post, too.

I see you have a 530i/SMG. I have a 545i/SMG but am interested in doing a European Delivery in Sept. '06 for possibly a 530i. Maybe you could let me test drive it in return for taking a spin in an 8 cylinder? Yeah...didn't think you'd pass that up! haha

Send me a PM...we'll go from there...if you're interested. Warning though...once you drive this 8, your 6 will feel................................
Old 08-16-2005, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i/SMG
That sounds great!

I'm thinking about ditching my '04 for a '06 SMG 550i when they are out (I'm on a waiting list for a M5... but I'm still on the fence about the price).

On another note, I'm one who likes the Active Steering / Stability Control / etc as well. I think those who dislike all the extra technophile stuff BMW has been adding are just living in the past...

Old 08-20-2005, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 04 545i, SMG, NAVI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRaven
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THIS SITE..HOPE I AM DOING IT RIGHT!
I HOPE ALL WHO SUPPORT SMG ARE CORRECT. I JUST ORDERED A 2006 550 SMG, AND HOPE I DID THE RIGHT THING. I LOVE PERFORMANCE AND SPEED SHIFTING..AND OF COURSE QUICK AND RESPOSNIVE DRIVING... DID I DO THE RIGHT THING ORDERING THE SMG WHILE HAVE NEVER DRIVEN ONE??

OUCH my ears hurt!! JK!

If you are not expecting and auto, and you know how to drive a stick, the SMG is GREAT! I love mine and after learing how to drive it (about 2 days) it shift butter smooth and QUICK. As previous poster said, if you put it in auto, press sport button and MASH the gas you will beat most folks in MT. BTW, if you dislike the slight jerk when shifting in manual mode, you can take foot off gas as you press shift lever and then mash it again and it is totally SMOOTH.........

As I said, LOVE mine and no regrets. Hope I don't have to spend lots of $$$ to fix it later though...
04 545i, Titanium Silver, Gray leather, Sport package, Premium, Logic 7, Navi pro, HUD, SMG trans, Active cruise, PDC, heated seats, M-Tech kit, BT software upgrade paired with Treo 650, 19" MOMO FXL2 Forged aluminum rims, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires
Old 08-29-2005, 12:13 AM

Mein Auto: an old Camaro
Quote:
The GM at the dealership knows only 3 colors(Black, Silver and white)
Actually, it is Black, Silver and Silver Grey on 5ers

545i allocation for us was very constrained this year, so the only SMG equipped car that we ordered for stock (and we added a dealer-installed M-Aero kit to it too.. ) lasted all of 2-3 days in the showroom.

I am an SMG fan as well. As long as you do not oversell the option and can demonstrate it properly with smooth shifts, there should never be an issue in selling it, as long as the customer has been properly qualified and informed...

We have the only SMG equipped 645ci in Canada right now as well though, so there are definitely a few SMG fans at our store.. (BTW Bee, this car is black )

I hope that the 550/650 eventually do get offered with SMG.... up here there are no guarantees of future production.....
Old 09-02-2005, 12:37 AM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99

Fast-forward a few months and a few thousand miles and I am now comfortable driving it and I LOVE it! What a wonderful compromise to make a true manual transmission into an automatic as opposed to a true automatic into a manual.
so you're going to have a SMG driving lesson clinic anytime soon??? in your car that is, because mine won't get here until late december. I'll bring plenty of krispy kreme

I was fortunate to find a 545 w/ SMG on the dealer's lot so I finally got the chance to try it myself. I noticed the sluggishness in the auto mode. I don't know what can be done in that mode. but in the manual mode it was not too bad and I think I've found the trick to make the upshift smoother. I just need more practice to master the timing.

Last edited by Ågent99; 09-02-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to hawk123
Mein Auto: 2006 550i
SMG and Manual on 550i

Please refer attached file. Manual and SMG will be available starting October 2005
Attached Files
File Type: pdf attachment.pdf (196.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots
so you're going to have a SMG driving lesson clinic anytime soon??? in your car that is, because mine won't get here until late december. I'll bring plenty of krispy kreme

I was fortunate to find a 545 w/ SMG on the dealer's lot so I finally got the chance to try it myself. I noticed the sluggishness in the auto mode. I don't know what can be done in that mode. but in the manual mode it was not too bad and I think I've found the trick to make the upshift smoother. I just need more practice to master the timing.
Umm, didn't plan to have one but here is the thing: The wife and I are taking off on vacation for 3 weeks (driving around British Columbia) and when I get back, I'm planning to flip the lease on my car. The only reason I'm considering this is because we are thinking to do another ED a year from now but I'm on the fence for 6 vs. 8. Gas prices may sway me back to the 6...

The deal with the auto mode is to LEARN how to drive it so it doesn't suck. It takes some time. You need to learn how/when the tranny shifts. Put it into Sport mode and it is a lot better but can still be herky-jerky until you get the hang of it.

This is why I keep reiterating that a 1/2-hour test drive in an SMG-equipped car will leave a sour taste in your mouth if you have zero prior experience with an SMG and no one to coach you a bit on how to drive it. The folks who like automatics may really hate the SMG but the folks coming from manuals might be willing to give it a shot and manipulate it better.