Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 08-07-2005, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Convertable
M3 Vert Right had mirror tilt down on reverse--not all the time

I am trying to figure out what's going on. My car is less than a month old. Its a 05 M3 vert.

When put into reverse, the right hand mirror tilts down some of the time but not all of the time. Is there some sequence that makes it not work versus other times.

It comes and goes. Wasn't sure if its messed up or doing what it suppossed to.

Amyone else see this?

--Jeffrey
Ads by Google
Old 08-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Depends on the position of the switch to adjust both side mirrors. I'm not sure what position is what...should be in the manual.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Yes, and to make it just a tad more complicated, there is a key code option to slightly change the behavior. But in general, move the driver/passenger rear view adjustment switch to the passenger side to use the function or to drivers side to turn it off. (Unless your dealer set the option to "inactive" in that case the mirrors STILL move, but directly to the lowest position and not adjustable, in that case do the reverse and move it to the passenger side to turn it off and the drivers side to turn it on!!!

My car was delivered in Europe in the Active position, then my dealer stateside put it to Inactive before I picked it up, I then had them put it back to active. Here's the text from the key programming guide, which only the dealer can do.

The position for the passenger-side exterior mirror for the automatic parking function can
be stored for each key individually. If “active” is selected and the mirror adjustment switch is set to “passenger-side”, the passenger-side mirror will be automatically moved to the pre-selected position when in reverse gear. To store the “pre-set” position, adjust
manually passenger–side mirror while reverse gear is engaged.

If “active is selected and the mirror switch is set to “driver’s-side”, the automatic parking
function is deactivated. If “inactive” is selected and the mirror adjustment switch is set to “drive’s-side”, the passenger-side mirror is automatically moved to the lowest possible position when in reverse gear. Selecting the “passenger-side mirror” with the adjustment switch, deactivates the automatic parking function.

M3 05 Imola/Black, ZCP, ZPP, SMG, Xenon, Nav, Heated, Lumbar, HK -- Euro Delivery Pictures

Last edited by e36M3r; 08-07-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: M3
most M3's come from the factory in the "Inactive" position... go figure... getting the dealer to make it "active" can be an exercise in extreme futility!

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: m3
i've had the same problem before or so i thought it was a problem. all you have to do is move the switch to adjust the two side mirrors to the left (the position to adjust the driver side mirror) that should do the trick
Old 08-08-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelllow
i've had the same problem before or so i thought it was a problem. all you have to do is move the switch to adjust the two side mirrors to the left (the position to adjust the driver side mirror) that should do the trick
Yep, as CB said, yours is set to "inactive" (bad wording likely) thus the drivers side positioning. That appears to be the way NA dealers like to set it. In that setup the mirror moves straight down to the lowest position possible when in reverse, then back up when in N or a forward gear.

M3 05 Imola/Black, ZCP, ZPP, SMG, Xenon, Nav, Heated, Lumbar, HK -- Euro Delivery Pictures
Old 08-08-2005, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330Ci, '05 M3
Another semi-related point I learned by mistake: Don't set your seat memory while the car is in reverse! I had backed out of my garage and decided to set my memory while still in reverse, and didn't pay attention for a few miles until I noticed my passenger mirror was all the way down. Took my a bit to realize what had happened!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
Yes, and to make it just a tad more complicated, there is a key code option to slightly change the behavior. But in general, move the driver/passenger rear view adjustment switch to the passenger side to use the function or to drivers side to turn it off. (Unless your dealer set the option to "inactive" in that case the mirrors STILL move, but directly to the lowest position and not adjustable, in that case do the reverse and move it to the passenger side to turn it off and the drivers side to turn it on!!!

My car was delivered in Europe in the Active position, then my dealer stateside put it to Inactive before I picked it up, I then had them put it back to active. Here's the text from the key programming guide, which only the dealer can do.

The position for the passenger-side exterior mirror for the automatic parking function can
be stored for each key individually. If “active” is selected and the mirror adjustment switch is set to “passenger-side”, the passenger-side mirror will be automatically moved to the pre-selected position when in reverse gear. To store the “pre-set” position, adjust
manually passenger–side mirror while reverse gear is engaged.

If “active is selected and the mirror switch is set to “driver’s-side”, the automatic parking
function is deactivated. If “inactive” is selected and the mirror adjustment switch is set to “drive’s-side”, the passenger-side mirror is automatically moved to the lowest possible position when in reverse gear. Selecting the “passenger-side mirror” with the adjustment switch, deactivates the automatic parking function.
Is there a way to adjust the passenger mirror to not go all the way down while in reverse? If so, can I do this on my own or do I have to go to the dealer?

I've always thought the mirror went so far down it's very difficult to see where I'm backing up to. If it went to something like 50% down it would be much better

I keep this picture up as a tribute to the 330 ZHP. I now have a Z4

Old 08-23-2005, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentenn
Is there a way to adjust the passenger mirror to not go all the way down while in reverse? If so, can I do this on my own or do I have to go to the dealer?

I've always thought the mirror went so far down it's very difficult to see where I'm backing up to. If it went to something like 50% down it would be much better
If the switch is in the "Active" position (ie: mirror goes down in reverse when switch is to passenger side) then yes, you adjust the mirror to where you want it (ie: 50%) while in reverse then it will go back there each time.

If the mirror drops in reverse with switch to drivers side, then Inactive is set in the key memory (like car options) and it by default drops down all the way. In this case your dealer will have to reset that option to "active". They will likely charge you for this. Perhaps if you do it at a scheduled service, they may be nice and comp you.

I find even with active set, I drop the mirror basically all the way, as you can see the 50% stuff normally. Thus you can see the curb and avoid hitting it, which is obviously what BMW had in mind as seen by the default action.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
If the switch is in the "Active" position (ie: mirror goes down in reverse when switch is to passenger side) then yes, you adjust the mirror to where you want it (ie: 50%) while in reverse then it will go back there each time.
Hmmm, interesting. I think mine is in the Active position. Are you saying all I have to do is adjust the mirror the way I want it to be and it will remember this setting. Do I adjust the mirror with my hand or use the switch? I'm not sure if I can adjust the mirror with the switch in the passenger side while in reverse and the mirror angled down, but I've never tried to change the angle while it was in the down position. I tried to do what you're saying but I didn't do something right because it just went back to the same angle.

This whole thing had bothered the heck out of me since I've had the car and I really want to get to the bottom of this

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by zentenn; 08-23-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:15 AM

If keycode is set to "Active": Turn key on (2) - Put switch to passenger side, put car in reverse. (Mirror should move unless it is set exactly to the normal position) , using the normal mirror adjusting switch, adjust the mirror to where you want it to be in reverse, thats it. When you take the car out of reverse, the mirror should go back to the normal driving position, and then back to where you just left it, when you put it in reverse. Very simple.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Losing the ability for the passenger side mirror to tilt down on reverse seems to be a pretty common problem. For a while it seemed to be the subject of many threads. I came up with a solution that has worked ever since I implemented it. It appears that after while seems the passenger side mirror seems to “forget” to dip. I noticed that after messing around with its position it would work for a while again.

I have liked to move the seat back before getting out. I automated this function by inputting the rear position for the seat in Memory 3. In trying to resolve the mirror issue I decide that maybe as part of moving the seat back I would include moving the mirror ever so slightly. This way the mirror would not “forget" to dip on reverse. Problem solved, 1 year later no problems at all.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
If keycode is set to "Active": Turn key on (2) - Put switch to passenger side, put car in reverse. (Mirror should move unless it is set exactly to the normal position) , using the normal mirror adjusting switch, adjust the mirror to where you want it to be in reverse, thats it. When you take the car out of reverse, the mirror should go back to the normal driving position, and then back to where you just left it, when you put it in reverse. Very simple.
This is what the service manager was trying to tell me. Of course, by the time I got into the car and drove home I forgot what he said. I'll check this out as soon as I get out of work. If this works, and I think it will, I'll forever be in debt to you.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 PM

what e36M3r said - except to finish the position memory settings, after you adjust the mirror to the desired position, TURN THE KEY OFF.

that will stor the settings in the memory.

I have min set to go halfway down, then in towards the body a bit. I find that works well for me.

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bebop
what e36M3r said - except to finish the position memory settings, after you adjust the mirror to the desired position, TURN THE KEY OFF.

I have min set to go halfway down, then in towards the body a bit. I find that works well for me.
Ok, last night after work I tried what was said before but it just didn't want to remember the setting. I'll give this a try,

Thanks

Old 08-24-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Cowboy, Thanks very much for your information. I did what you said today after work and I worked

I'm thrilled

Doesn't take much sometimes, thanks again

Once again, Bimmerfest rules

Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 PM

all part of the friendly service here at Bimmerfest

Old 08-25-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
all part of the friendly service here at Bimmerfest
Guess what, this morning when I got in to go to work the mirror went all the way down again

WTF!!

I'll give it another try later today

Old 08-25-2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentenn
Guess what, this morning when I got in to go to work the mirror went all the way down again

WTF!!

I'll give it another try later today
One fellow I knew had the same thing happen to him, solved that by Locking the car After turning the key off and removing it from the Ignition... without getting out of the car.

keep us posted.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
One fellow I knew had the same thing happen to him, solved that by Locking the car After turning the key off and removing it from the Ignition... without getting out of the car.
You're kidding right?

I guess I'll give that a try. I'll let you know what happens. When do I do the sacred passenger mirror dance?

Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 PM

All that extra stuff sounds like non-sense. I just adjust mine to where I want it while it's in reverse, and it goes back there the next time. Obviously I turn off the car later on, and that's when the position gets saved to the key.

Are you sure you have that keycode set to "active", ie: the mirror moves in reverse when the mirror selector is to the passenger side.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:46 PM

it must be if he is adjusting it in R,Can't adjust it if the switch is in the left position.

Not kidding, Locking the car is when it actually stores the info.

Have you sacraficed the goat yet?

Old 08-27-2005, 05:08 AM

Quote:
All that extra stuff sounds like non-sense. I just adjust mine to where I want it while it's in reverse, and it goes back there the next time. Obviously I turn off the car later on, and that's when the position gets saved to the key.

Are you sure you have that keycode set to "active", ie: the mirror moves in reverse when the mirror selector is to the passenger side.
Hmmm, I guess it's not in the active mode because it DOESN'T move while in reverse if the mirror selector is to the passenger side. It only moves when it's to the driver side.

So, if this is the case, do I have to get it "activated" by the dealer, or is it something I can do?

Old 08-27-2005, 08:44 AM

yes.
In the Inactive position the mirror will only move when in the Drivers position and thus if you switch the position to the passenger side the mirror will pull back into normal setting. when Active, the positions of the switch are reversed so that it only moves in the Passenger position
most come to the US in the Inactive position... FYI, don't think that you listed all your options, but if you don't havethe Premium Package or the Power seat option it will never work.
the mirror settings are part of the Seat Memory settings.

good luck with the dealer though... most can't seem to figure this simple feature out.
It is a simple computer setting that needs be changed, no big deal, and likely they can be induced to do it for free since the car is new.
If they are real asshats they might charge you the Minimum service interval (30 min) or about $45 or so.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:50 PM

I did take it to the dealer and he said it couldn't be adjusted. Of course I told him the owners manual says it can be. Anyway, they did make a slight adjustment and I do mean slight.

THe last time I was there, he pointed to the page in the book that... I guess, he thinks tells you how to do it. But I read it and I don't see where it actually tells you how to make the adjustment. The only thing it has is the icon that says it can be changed.

I'll have to talk to them about making it active. This is the switch we're talking about being active, correct?