Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 99 323i
Thumbs down activate remote

i blew a fuse on my bmw and after my remote stop working, i only have one remote for my car. but the buttons do not work on the remote. i tried resetting it according to the manual, but this does not work, when i get in the car it beeps... i do not have an alarm, just keyless entry, does any one have any ideas on how to active this remote?
and does any one know of any places to get another remote? or just go to the dealor, they said about 168$...
Ads by Google
Old 08-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf268
i blew a fuse on my bmw and after my remote stop working, i only have one remote for my car. but the buttons do not work on the remote. i tried resetting it according to the manual, but this does not work, when i get in the car it beeps... i do not have an alarm, just keyless entry, does any one have any ideas on how to active this remote?
and does any one know of any places to get another remote? or just go to the dealor, they said about 168$...
For another remote key, you have no options other than a dealer. I had no luck resetting my key according the procedure I found, but the SA at the dealer did it fast as he was filling out the paperwork for an oil change.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 08-10-2005, 07:09 AM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Mein Auto: 320CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
For another remote key, you have no options other than a dealer. I had no luck resetting my key according the procedure I found, but the SA at the dealer did it fast as he was filling out the paperwork for an oil change.
Guys, keep in mind that you have to to the specified procedure WITH ALL MASTER KEYS YOU HAVE ONE AFTER ANOTHER, in order for them to work.

So, in order to program a key that does not work, you must:

1. Do the procedure with the "good key"(the one that works)
2. IMMEDIATELY Follow the same procedure with the key that DOES NOT WORK.

I had the same problem with my spare key. I followed the procedure in the manual, but nothing happened.

Well, I went to the dealer and they simply told me that "I first have to do the procedure with the key that works". Then I immediately have to follow the procedure with the key that does not work.

At the end for the second stage, your doors will lock, meaning the key is activated.

Hope that helped.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Not that I need it right now, but ya never know. What is the procedure, or is there a link to it?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: Gas-guzzling SUV
Re-Initializing the Key(s)

1 - Open & shut the driver's door

2 - Insert key and turn to position 1, turn key back to the off position and remove it.

3 - While holding down the unlock button, quickly press the lock button three times

4 - Release the unlock button

Your car should lock and unlock automatically and the mirrors/seat should reset themselves. If you have a second key, repeat steps 2-4 immediately after your car is done resetting.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Thanks! Good "just in case" info.