Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
M Roadster body kit...

Is it possible to fit an M roadster body kit on a Z3? I'm curious as to what would have to be done to make it possible?

Thanks,

Pomps
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2005, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: '00 Z3 2.3
Yes...

Yes, sure it can be done, all it just takes money. You would have to change the front spoiler, gills, the rear fenders, trunk lid, and rear bumper. Then you would probably want to change to a dual exhaust system so that you don't have an empty space where the right side exhaust ports would be. To put the dual exhaust on, you need to do some custom work and/or loose the spare tire in the process.

There is someone who posts either here or on Roadfly that has done M body work conversion on a 1.9, but, I believe it was only done because it was in an accident and the body work had to be replaced anyway.

You are looking at spending quite a bit of money and the end result is that you still wouldn't have an M. You would probably be better off saving up and selling the car to buy an M Roadster rather then to try and do the conversion work. Personally, if I were to do a conversion to anything M, it would be the M Motor... I'd rather have a nice looking sleeper, then a poseur, but thats just me.

Good luck!

Regards,

Michael
Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Wow, that seems way too expensive.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2.8 Z3 ,67Chevelle outlaw
just save your money over time and buy an m roadster, all that money spent and you will get nothing for it on the backside
strut braces,ac schniter pedals.short shifter kit,injector kit- module,int. chrome,phase3 software,ram-air carbon fiber intake, velocity air intake communicator,cosmo fuel pressure reg.,on board performance computer,pillar carbon fiber volt&oil autometer gauges,kumhos,magnaflow exhaust,stainless roll bars and still more to come.I am also a member of the Sunshine CruZers,BMWCCA, and the ZSCCA
Roadster
Old 08-11-2005, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to z3roadster19
Mein Auto: '98 1.9 z3
yep, that would be me (c: Yes, i was only able to do the conversion because of a horrible rear end accident. If anyone needs tips or wants to know more please email me at jason@shuff.info.

I'd be happy to give back to the forum in some way after all the help and support I've received in the past.

Oh, and yes (3 years since i did the conversion) used ///M roadsters are now so inexpensive in comparison to the cost of converting your standard Z, that it's definitly worth saving the money and getting a used ///M. Atleast that way you get the extra HP with the good looks.

Last edited by z3roadster19; 08-11-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:32 PM

Cool, Right now I'm lookin at front spoiler options...so let me try that again...Will an aftermarket M3 front bumber/spoiler fit a z3. Lol, see above?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:15 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm also interested in just fitting an M roadster front bumper / spoiler to my 1.9 Z3, is it a big (and expensive) job? I'm not trying to make my car look like an M roadster, I just like the look of the front spoiler.

I know you'll all probably suggest getting an M Roadster but I live in rip off Ireland and I can't afford to get an M Roadster. Why can't I get one, here's why:

Annual Car Tax: $1700

Annual Car Insurance: $2500

Irish Fuel Prices: At least twice the price of US fuel

It would cost me $350 a month just to have the car sit on my driveway, not including fuel or paying for the car!

Thanks in advance,

Frank.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 2.3
I bought the "aero" bumper cover

There is an OEM body kit that is a pretty good deal. You should be able to find it if you search this site. I just bought the front bumper cover for $229 plus maybe $60 shipping. $300 for paint. You also have to buy the E46 fog lights @ $99 ea.

I don't have any pics but I like how my car is just a little different from the majority of Zs out there.

It might be a good alt. to the whole M set-up.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:21 PM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
You should post or do a search over on Bimmerforums. Joe_Z and probably a couple of others have installed the MZ3 front bumper on their cars. I think it's an easy swap and you basically just have to remove your fog lights when you switch.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 ///M 3.2 Swap
I'm actually in the process of changing mine over now. It's like everyone has said, just plug and play. I mated the M bumper to my car today to see if there would be any necessary changes, but it all lines up fine.
///M 3.2L and Tranny swap, Cosmo racing cai, dual Magnaflow 14415 exhaust ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcW8p-WYK8), S50 intake swap, fan delete, aluminum flywheel, M3 big brake kit (front), B&G sport springs with Bilstein sport shocks, custom chassis bracing, Cosmo racing strut tower brace, 17x8 front, 17x9 rear ASA AR-1's, custom gray top, rollhoops retofitted. More to come!!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:07 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Since I first posted my message I found a BMW garage here in Ireland that will do the conversion for me as I don't have the equipment to do it myself. Aparrently they can run your VIN through their computer system and tell if a part is compatible or not.

The bumper alone here is $600, is there any BMW garage on the internet that will ship the original part if ordered their website?

One thing though, I was told that I'll have to give BMW back my old bumper to get the new one, does this happen in the USA too? (I was told this by two different BMW garages).

Regards,

Frank.