Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Nothing specific

Mein Auto: 03 325Ci 5spd SP
Eight quarts of oil in my 325Ci?

I took my car (2003 325Ci) to a local shop for an oil change*. Not a Jiffy-Lube-type place, but a real mechanic. I walked around town for half an hour, then returned, paid, and drove off. Looking at the invoice while stopped at a light a few miles away, I noticed that I was billed for eight quarts of oil. That's funny, I thought. I could swear I've read that the capacity was 6.5 quarts.

I called the shop and asked what the story was. They said to bring the car back. I did, and when I got there the technician who worked on my car said that, after putting in 6.5 quarts and pre-oiling the new filter, the dipstick still read low, so he added more. He said they've noticed that the newer BMW I6's take more oil than the manual states, and that they recently had an X5 3.0 that did the same thing. I didn't exactly buy that, but I didn't say anything.

After the engine had been off for five minutes, we checked the dipstick. It showed a slight overfill, maybe 1-2 mm over the "Full" mark. While obviously not ideal, that seemed fine to me, so I thanked them and left.

I'm wondering what was going on here. Does this story make sense to anyone? I doubt they put the full eight quarts in, probably something like 7.2 and just billed for the whole bottle, but it still seems odd. Is it normal for the engine to take more than 6.5 quarts? Should I be worried about damage from overfilling?

Is there any chance the dipstick is inaccurate? I remember reading something about the plastic thingy on the end coming loose and sliding around, but that story was on E46Fanatics, so I'm not entirely confident in its accuracy.

* Yeah, I know I could do it myself. Take it easy.
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 M3
I did my first oil change a while ago (probalby 6 months now) and to get the dipstick to read right I ended up with 7 quarts even. It sounds to me like they did the same thing and cracked open the 8th quart. Not ideal but probably not too horrible either.

Perhaps others with more knowledge/experience can shed more light.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:19 AM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP, 06 CBR600RR
I can attest to that. My 04 330 takes more oil than stated (about 7 quarts). When the dealer did the oil change about a week later the low oil light came on. This has happened ever since I've had the car. Assuming that the dealer put in a perfect 6.5 quarts, I usually put in a half quart to get the service light off (and have the dipstick show the proper level).
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Officially it's 6.5 Liters. NOT quarts....

in quarts it would be about 7... (a little bit under that but close enough to 7 even)

Everytime I change my oil it takes about 7qts.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Nothing specific

Mein Auto: 03 325Ci 5spd SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Officially it's 6.5 Liters. NOT quarts....

in quarts it would be about 7... (a little bit under that but close enough to 7 even)

Everytime I change my oil it takes about 7qts.
Ah, okay, that settles it. Thanks for the information, everyone.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Officially it's 6.5 Liters. NOT quarts.....
Old 08-11-2005, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4
Say....... shouldn't they at least give you the rest of that last bottle?

I keep this picture up as a tribute to the 330 ZHP. I now have a Z4

Old 08-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Imola Red 330Ci
No wonder it's so flippn expensive to have the dealer change the oil. It's sounds like the BMW engines are well lubed! I was actually dumbfounded at the mention of 7 qts. I've never heard an engine taking that much juice. I almost past up this thread. Good one.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:11 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonezilla
No wonder it's so flippn expensive to have the dealer change the oil. It's sounds like the BMW engines are well lubed! I was actually dumbfounded at the mention of 7 qts. I've never heard an engine taking that much juice.
That's nothing... iirc some Porsches take like 12 or so...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 04-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 325I Convertible
325CI versus 325i Oil Capacity

Last edited by bmwdonna; 04-27-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdonna View Post
The owners manual actually says 7.9 quarts for a CI but the I is 6.9 quarts...go figure.....Ci = convertible....I don't get that at all.
Hi there.....

Do you realize that you`re responding to a thread that`s been dead *for 8 years* ? (It`s always a good idea to check the dates before posting)

Your car is an E36, and this is the *E46 Forum* ?

And the model designation is:

325i = 4-door sedan

325Ci = Coupe

325CiC = Convertible

325it = Touring (wagon)

Correct oil capacity = 6.5 Liters (6.9 quarts) for all above models

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Hi there.....

Do you realize that you`re responding to a thread that`s been dead *for 8 years* ? (It`s always a good idea to check the dates before posting)
u know, u always tell people to search the forum for threads with information similar to the cases they face instead of writing new ones, and when they do and revive an old thread, u also give them a hard about it
there's just no pleasing u guys

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
u know, u always tell people to search the forum for threads with information similar to the cases they face instead of writing new ones, and when they do and revive an old thread, u also give them a hard about it
there's just no pleasing u guys
It goes a little deeper than that, Bucko....the crux of the biscuit is that it`s a waste of time & bandwidth to keep posting *the entire thread* over again and again, especially when there`s no legitimate point to be made, or further enlightenment on the subject at hand.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....