Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-11-2005, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 93 suckbaron
Odd tire rubbing sound..

So I just got back from vacation, drove from NJ -> WA and back again, spending a week in north ID. First let me just jump and dance about what a great machine this thing is.. 3k miles (500mi screwup) out there in ~2 days, oil change, hung around for a week, then drove back putting another 2.5k on it. It's up around 191.5k now and the engine purrs like it's brand new.

Got home and the foglight kit from BAV was here, so I put those in, and it gets new oil again tomorrow. While it's out getting the oil (and possibly brake pads) I am going to have them look at the subject of this post as well, so possible causes..?

-- The Problem --

Sometimes, not all the time, I hear a noise which sounds very much like a tire rubbing against something when I'm driving. It's not always there, but when it IS there, it only happens when I'm going straight and/or turning to the right -- in other words, when I'm hearing it, if I turn left, it goes completely away. Once I straighten out from the left turn, it's back.

There is an associated vibration I can feel through the accellerator.

I checked for rubbing myself and couldn't find any, so my first guess would be a wheel bearing going bad.. any other things come to mind?
Ads by Google
Old 08-12-2005, 09:09 AM
EURO STYLE

Mein Auto: two/325i,VW,Renault
Wheel bearings is my guess as well.