Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Fuel mileage contest?

There have been a couple of threads lately about fuel mileage, so I thought it would be interesting to see who could get the best fuel mileage over a given distance, and what was the highest fuel mileage you have ever seen registered on your digital guage?

I think we could have different distances, 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles and 100 miles. The rules would be that you have to have the engine running, the car in gear for the whole distance, and you have to keep traveling the speed limit - the rest is up to you, but it would probably be a good to know whether you were traveling downhill so we could compare.

So, I will start, on a whim, last night, on the way home, in city stop and go traffic, I managed an instantaneous fuel mileage reading of 98.5 MPG for a few blocks by coasting along with traffic in 5th gear at about 40 MPH. I reset the meter while moving and let the car just coast along in gear. I was kind of surprised that it would go that high. I think I can do even better as the analog meter was not all the way over to the left, just to the first solid mark.
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
99.9 MPG for 1 mile (downhill)
38.4 for 10 miles (although I wasn't really trying) - this was on a stretch of I-5 going into Seattle from the north. Up and down a bit and some flat. Moderate evening traffic traveling at about 65-70 and I was in the fast lane.

Last edited by Adventure Rider; 08-14-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Rider
There have been a couple of threads lately about fuel mileage, so I thought it would be interesting to see who could get the best fuel mileage over a given distance, and what was the highest fuel mileage you have ever seen registered on your digital guage?

I think we could have different distances, 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles and 100 miles. The rules would be that you have to have the engine running, the car in gear for the whole distance, and you have to keep traveling the speed limit - the rest is up to you, but it would probably be a good to know whether you were traveling downhill so we could compare.
Speed limit? Which one? 55mph? 65mph? I did 37.5 mpg over a 100 miles with an average speed of 55mph (cruise at 60mph with some stop-n-go at the beginning). After that, I upped the cruise to 68mph and averaged 34 mpg for the entire 200 mile trip. I've seen 40+ mpg for a mile at 60mph going slightly uphill, but I was drafting a semi-truck.

Yesterday, I did 415 miles with the cruise set between 65mph and 70mph on rural roads, mixed with stop-n-go on Chicago expressways and a high speed blast near the end. I averaged 29mpg and 58 mph. All that on one tankful with 65 miles left. Being in the midwest, all measurements are done on fairly level ground, but over short distances even a slight incline is noticeable to the mpg meter.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................