Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 08-15-2005, 05:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 120d LCI (2007)
September Navigation Software Update

From this article - http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...id/2050726.003

Enhanced presentation by the professional navigation system.
Starting in September 2005, the 3 Series Coupť, 3 Series Convertible, 7 Series Saloon, the Z4, X3, and X5 equipped with the BMW Professional navigation system will feature improved graphics on the navigation map for even greater clarity and easier reading. The BMW 7 Series comes addition*ally with 3D presentation providing a birdís view perspective.

All of these models as well as former 3 and 5 Series models built as of Sept*ember 2002 may be upgraded to this new standard by the BMW dealer with*in a few minutes simply by updating the carís software to provide this enhan*ced presentation.

Does this mean that a 2004 E46 with Satellite Navigation (MkIV DVD) is going to have a major makeover come September? It sounds too good to be true!

I've noticed that VDO Dayton's new Navigation product lineup shows a new perspective view, but it appears to be attached to new hardware. Could it be that this BMW software update will add a perspective view to the MkIV navigation unit??

See here -> www.vdodayton.com

Paul Martin
Ads by Google
Old 08-15-2005, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
I love the way perpective view displays on my e90, but it omits street names, which kind of stinks. I think it would be really cool for the e46 MkIV equipped cars to get the option though.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram_luap
From this article - http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...id/2050726.003

Enhanced presentation by the professional navigation system.
Starting in September 2005, the 3 Series Coupť, 3 Series Convertible, 7 Series Saloon, the Z4, X3, and X5 equipped with the BMW Professional navigation system will feature improved graphics on the navigation map for even greater clarity and easier reading. The BMW 7 Series comes addition*ally with 3D presentation providing a birdís view perspective.

All of these models as well as former 3 and 5 Series models built as of Sept*ember 2002 may be upgraded to this new standard by the BMW dealer with*in a few minutes simply by updating the carís software to provide this enhan*ced presentation.

Does this mean that a 2004 E46 with Satellite Navigation (MkIV DVD) is going to have a major makeover come September? It sounds too good to be true!

I've noticed that VDO Dayton's new Navigation product lineup shows a new perspective view, but it appears to be attached to new hardware. Could it be that this BMW software update will add a perspective view to the MkIV navigation unit??

See here -> www.vdodayton.com

Paul Martin
It seems that this upgrade is only for Professional Navigation; the Business Navigation, which in the case of US E46s from September 2002 build, that's the only Navigation system offered by BMWNA, is not mentioned

AFAIK, the screen driver of a Professional Navigation is different from the Business Navigation system, and that driver is located in the radio tuner. The MKIV computer is the same in both systems...

I think that BMWAG should release a software update that includes a Business version "patch" for US models. A lot of USA customers will be extremely pleased if they do...
Old 08-16-2005, 09:04 AM
It's all good!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
It seems that this upgrade is only for Professional Navigation; the Business Navigation, which in the case of US E46s from September 2002 build, that's the only Navigation system offered by BMWNA, is not mentioned

AFAIK, the screen driver of a Professional Navigation is different from the Business Navigation system, and that driver is located in the radio tuner. The MKIV computer is the same in both systems...

I think that BMWAG should release a software update that includes a Business version "patch" for US models. A lot of USA customers will be extremely pleased if they do...
It is the other way around. The Business Navigation system is the small radio display unit and the Professional navigation unit is the one that we have. Go to bmw.co.uk and then use the car configurator and you can see that the Business version is the cheaper. Professional is the same as we get here. Also the screen of the navigation system is driven by the navigation computer or in its absence, the video module (tv tuner).
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS
It is the other way around. The Business Navigation system is the small radio display unit and the Professional navigation unit is the one that we have. Go to bmw.co.uk and then use the car configurator and you can see that the Business version is the cheaper. Professional is the same as we get here. Also the screen of the navigation system is driven by the navigation computer or in its absence, the video module (tv tuner).
ChadS... I used to have the Professional tuner, which is the only difference between the Professional Navigation and our Business Navigation in the US E46s. The Professional tuner have a slightly different screen GUI than the Business. Now I have the Business tuner installed with the same MKIV computer because the Professional is not made for the USA (no AM frequencies, no Sirius capability, EUROPE country setting fixed).

In Europe it seems that both Professional and Business tuners are available in their Navigation system optional equipment selections; probably in the UK the Pro is the default Nav setup. In the USA, on the other hand, the Business tuner is only tuner offered, the Professional was never offered in a factory setup nor even shown in the ETK:

USA: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=65&fg=05

Europe: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=65&fg=05

Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 AM
It's all good!

Quote:
ChadS... I used to have the Professional tuner, which is the only difference between the Professional Navigation and our Business Navigation in the US E46s. The Professional tuner have a slightly different screen GUI than the Business. Now I have the Business tuner installed with the same MKIV computer because the Professional is not made for the USA (no AM frequencies, no Sirius capability, EUROPE country setting fixed).

In Europe it seems that both Professional and Business tuners are available in their Navigation system optional equipment selections; probably in the UK the Pro is the default Nav setup. In the USA, on the other hand, the Business tuner is only tuner offered, the Professional was never offered in a factory setup nor even shown in the ETK:

USA: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=65&fg=05

Europe: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=65&fg=05

The radio and the navigation system operate independently of each other. You can have the Professional navigation system with either the Business or professional radio. Which radio you have make no difference to the software of the navigation system. The navigation system does however all the different GUI's for each type of radio. Depending on which radio the navigation computer detects via the iBus is what interface it displays.

The business navigation system is different than what you are thinking. It is a smaller unit that is the same size as the regular E46 radio and has a monochrome display that only shows arrows and street names. The professional navigation system is what we have which is the full color screen. The professional navigation system can be installed with either the business or professional radio tuner.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
The radio and the navigation system operate independently of each other. You can have the Professional navigation system with either the Business or professional radio. Which radio you have make no difference to the software of the navigation system. The navigation system does however all the different GUI's for each type of radio. Depending on which radio the navigation computer detects via the iBus is what interface it displays.

The business navigation system is different than what you are thinking. It is a smaller unit that is the same size as the regular E46 radio and has a monochrome display that only shows arrows and street names. The professional navigation system is what we have which is the full color screen. The professional navigation system can be installed with either the business or professional radio tuner.
ChadS... that system is not available in the USA. What I am discussing here is what we have in the USA: the Business Navigation. It is comprised of a Business tuner, a CD/DVD navigation computer depending of the production year and a 4:3/16:9 dash mounted screen. There is no Professional nomenclature in any component of the USA Nav system, nowhere.

The simple arrow nav system was never offered in the USA nor shown in the USA ETK parts catalog: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=65&fg=05

I know for a fact that the Professional tuner have a slightly different screen GUI because it has more features than our Business tuner: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...56&postcount=5

If this intended software update is only for the MKIV computer and somehow our Business tuner will not complain, I will not be complaining either.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:49 PM
It's all good!

Quote:
ChadS... that system is not available in the USA. What I am discussing here is what we have in the USA: the Business Navigation. It is comprised of a Business tuner, a CD/DVD navigation computer depending of the production year and a 4:3/16:9 dash mounted screen. There is no Professional nomenclature in any component of the USA Nav system, nowhere.

The simple arrow nav system was never offered in the USA nor shown in the USA ETK parts catalog: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=65&fg=05

I know for a fact that the Professional tuner have a slightly different screen GUI because it has more features than our Business tuner: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...56&postcount=5

If this intended software update is only for the MKIV computer and somehow our Business tuner will not complain, I will not be complaining either.
On page 12 of the German ordering guide you can read the difference between the two although it is in German. There are 2 separate things here in respect to the navigation and radio. There is the Business Navigation, Professsional Navigation, Business Radio, and Professional Radio. In the US, we have one option for the navigation system on the E46 and that is the Professional Navigation with the Business Radio. In Europe they have the option of either the Professional Navigation which is the full color widescreen monitor and Professional Radio or the Business Navigation which is the small screen shown in the link you have to above that just shows the arrows.

You can also verify this by looking at any of the official navigation update CD's from BMW. The version number listed next to Professional is the same as what gets loaded onto our (US) cars. The next version listed is for the "Radio" navigation system which is the Business navigation system integrated into the radio and has the small monochrome screen.

Long story short, we have the Professional navigation with business radio here in the US and the update that is coming will work on our systems. You are correct in that we never had the option of the Business (small monochrome screen) Navigation here.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
So what's the deal. is the upgrade for the US or not? help?

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster
1980 International Scout II 345 v-8

2004 M3 Alpine White SOLD 2/14/09 We were in love
Old 08-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hr Day
So what's the deal. is the upgrade for the US or not? help?
I guess the short answer is, wait and see.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:20 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
On page 12 of the German ordering guide you can read the difference between the two although it is in German. There are 2 separate things here in respect to the navigation and radio. There is the Business Navigation, Professsional Navigation, Business Radio, and Professional Radio. In the US, we have one option for the navigation system on the E46 and that is the Professional Navigation with the Business Radio. In Europe they have the option of either the Professional Navigation which is the full color widescreen monitor and Professional Radio or the Business Navigation which is the small screen shown in the link you have to above that just shows the arrows.

You can also verify this by looking at any of the official navigation update CD's from BMW. The version number listed next to Professional is the same as what gets loaded onto our (US) cars. The next version listed is for the "Radio" navigation system which is the Business navigation system integrated into the radio and has the small monochrome screen.

Long story short, we have the Professional navigation with business radio here in the US and the update that is coming will work on our systems. You are correct in that we never had the option of the Business (small monochrome screen) Navigation here.
According to that German link included in your post, the Professional Navigation includes only the Professional tuner. Their Business Navigation is the one never offered in the USA; we here in the States have some hybrid of a Navigation system with a Business tuner. And nowhere in the BMWUSA site the term Professional Navigation is mentioned, nor Business, when describing our Nav system.

Maybe this discussion of Pro/Bus is simply semantics, however the fact remains that the Map screen have more features using a Professional tuner than using a Business tuner, being connected to the same DVD computer with the same software in it. That is my concern about this Professional Nav software update and the USA Nav setup using Business tuners; maybe the Nav software GUI adjusts itself depending of the tuner connected, and no tuner hardware/software driver is required for this to happen -which initially I thought that it was indeed required. Thus if this is correct then this coming update should work in our systems if the code is written to not differentiate between tuners.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 AM

Here is the answer to all this discussion - some nice pictures of the new software on the Mk-IV DVD based navigation system

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110313

Paul Martin
Australia
Old 09-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

... V26 does in fact works in our "Profesional Nav System", I just downloaded and upgraded my DVD computer to it and the sucker looks great!

Thanks to X5World.com...
Old 09-20-2005, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330xi
Quote:
... V26 does in fact works in our "Profesional Nav System", I just downloaded and upgraded my DVD computer to it and the sucker looks great!

Thanks to X5World.com...
Same here. Just downloaded and installed the new software in my 2005 330xi and it looks great!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tdrag97 Send a message via Yahoo to Tdrag97 Send a message via Skype™ to Tdrag97
Mein Auto: 09' E70 , 06 IS350
will the 04 X3 with nav.. be able to be updated?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdrag97
will the 04 X3 with nav.. be able to be updated?
Yes
Old 05-31-2007, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
:.