Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 10-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4 1.8t
Hotel Leonardo - Worth it?

I'll be in munich for three nights and was wonderiing if the Leonardo is worth staying at for 119 Euros per night. Seems like I can get better deals for hotels in the city center... but was curious if the BMW "package stay" is worth it. Other than a free cocktail in the evening is there much more? Also, how convienient is it to the city center?

Cheers.
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
I didn't stay in the Leonardo, but I did stay in the area, near the Welt, since I booked the hotel on points. I had already gotten used to taking the metro everywhere in Paris before heading to Munich, but either way, I think it was no big deal taking the U into town. I think it boils down to this for me-

If you're staying several nights in Munich, stay in the city center. Metro can be expensive just to take into and out of the city center. In Paris an all day pass got you everywhere you wanted to go, so it was worth it. In Munich, it was very expensive and I used it to get in and then out of the city center, as opposed to using the trains in Paris to get to every last place I felt like going.

To this day I don't understand how the metro system in Munich works. We bought an all day ticket, put it into the stamp machine before boarding our first train and then proceeded to ride said trains. No one ever really checked our tickets. In Paris, you always had to push your ticket through the scanner to verify you had paid. In Munich, it seemed like it was all on the honor system.

Last edited by hyperzulu; 10-28-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 428i xDrive
We stayed at the Leonardo. It was OK. I wouldn't recommend, as it is so easy to get around via the Metro. Also, unbeknownst to us, we were not eligible for the "special" BMW package as we didn't book directly with the hotel (we used Courtyard travel, which was recommended by BMW... ??). Anyway, to make a long story short, we did make a small fuss to BMW, who in turn contacted the Leonardo, who then refunded us the parking fee. Have fun at the Welt, it's great!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
We stayed at the Leonardo during Oktoberfest because it remained reasonably priced and was in a very convenient location.

Theres construction going on right now which can make for some noise in the early morning.

That considered, I'd give it a B+

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)
Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I didn't stay in the Leonardo, but I did stay in the area, near the Welt, since I booked the hotel on points. I had already gotten used to taking the metro everywhere in Paris before heading to Munich, but either way, I think it was no big deal taking the U into town. I think it boils down to this for me-

If you're staying several nights in Munich, stay in the city center. Metro can be expensive just to take into and out of the city center. In Paris an all day pass got you everywhere you wanted to go, so it was worth it. In Munich, it was very expensive and I used it to get in and then out of the city center, as opposed to using the trains in Paris to get to every last place I felt like going.

To this day I don't understand how the metro system in Munich works. We bought an all day ticket, put it into the stamp machine before boarding our first train and then proceeded to ride said trains. No one ever really checked our tickets. In Paris, you always had to push your ticket through the scanner to verify you had paid. In Munich, it seemed like it was all on the honor system.
Munich IS on the honor system, and tickets are cheaper than shoe leather. I don't understand why you felt the all-day ticket was expensive.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Ich bin schneller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzeller View Post
Munich IS on the honor system, and tickets are cheaper than shoe leather. I don't understand why you felt the all-day ticket was expensive.
I'm sure it had something to do with not really understanding what I was purchasing when using the machine to purchase tickets. I'm sure there were one-way tickets we could have purchased, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I ended up buying two all day tickets each day just to get a few stops into and out of the city center on the U2. Considering all that, it was expensive.

And like I said, I had just arrived from Paris, and become used to their all day Mobilis would get you through all of central paris and the suburbs, along a myriad of different stops, while being cheaper. So value-wise, it felt more expensive as well.

I stayed four days in Paris, outside of city center and it was just fine. If I was staying four days in Munich, I would prefer to stay in the city center. But for a couple days, it was fine.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M-sport
Quote:
I'm sure it had something to do with not really understanding what I was purchasing when using the machine to purchase tickets. I'm sure there were one-way tickets we could have purchased, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I ended up buying two all day tickets each day just to get a few stops into and out of the city center on the U2. Considering all that, it was expensive.

And like I said, I had just arrived from Paris, and become used to their all day Mobilis would get you through all of central paris and the suburbs, along a myriad of different stops, while being cheaper. So value-wise, it felt more expensive as well.

I stayed four days in Paris, outside of city center and it was just fine. If I was staying four days in Munich, I would prefer to stay in the city center. But for a couple days, it was fine.
I hear you, and I think you just had a problem in not understanding the system. As you discovered, Munich has all-day passes, but they also have multi-day passes. Also, you mentioned buying two all-day passes each day. Munich has Partner passes for two or more persons, which provide additional savings.

It sounds to me as if Paris and Munich (I've been to both, but don't recall much about Paris) have similar systems, with the exception that Munich doesn't have turnstiles (but they do have inspectors, who travel in pairs, for spot-checks).

Peace, and happy travels.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:15 PM
6' / 250lbs

Mein Auto: '12 X5 + '14 M5 SOON!
I wouldn't stay anywhere but The Charles Hotel.
- Full IND cosmetic package / 12mm Macht Schnell Spacers / SunTek CXP tint - 18% / 5% sunroof / 55% windshield
Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435xi
Hotel Leonardo - Worth it?

I visited berlin before arriving in munich... And The munich machines to buy train tickets r so much easier than the ones in berlin. My group was amazed at how easy it was to find the all day pass for a group. In berlin we got on the tram and by the time we figured it out it was our stop most of the time. Speaking of group rates if u travel with 5 people the all day pass in munich is extremely cheap per person.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I was able to buy a three day U-Bahn pass for 15 Euro from the hotel. Great deal for unlimited rides in the city center. Germany is on what you would call a POP system, or proof of payment. Ticket validation and fare inspectors instead of turnstiles. Never once saw a fare inspector though.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar View Post
I'll be in munich for three nights and was wonderiing if the Leonardo is worth staying at for 119 Euros per night. Seems like I can get better deals for hotels in the city center... but was curious if the BMW "package stay" is worth it. Other than a free cocktail in the evening is there much more? Also, how convienient is it to the city center?

Cheers.
I stayed at the Leonardo for 2 nights in Sept. The room was small but it was clean and modern. I want to let you know that it has frosted glass shower just in case you are shy. It was actually one of the nicer places we stayed at during our trip and price was reasonable for what you get. Booking through the BMW program gives you free parking and free breakfast. The breakfast buffet was the best of all the places we stayed at. The free cocktail is just their house cocktail and not anything you want. Make sure when checking in to bring your flyer that states free upgrade upon availability. The lady we checked in with didn't know what we were talking about so had to ask a manager. We took the subway to the Welt but you can walk it in about 15 to 20 minutes. I did see they were constructing something next door but we only stayed their at night so noise what not an issue.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
I wouldn't stay anywhere but The Charles Hotel.
At best a third place behind the Bayerischerhof, or Konigshof, definitely a fourth place if you consider the M.O. Yes I have stayed in them all.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
95 Suburban 2500 Heavy Duty Mule
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4
i just stayed there about 7 days ago. The location is near the bmw factory which is nice, but its not close to the Marientzplatz (not sure how to spell it), which is basically where all the shopping and cool stuff is at. You can take the U bahn and its pretty simple to get there.

The things i didn't like about the leonardo is that they don't honor the bmw discount, and the drain seems to get clogged for the shower. It happened to me and i have read other reviews complain about the same.

I emailed all the hotels from the bmw packet and they all seemed not to honor the discount.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racsos View Post
i just stayed there about 7 days ago. The location is near the bmw factory which is nice, but its not close to the Marientzplatz (not sure how to spell it), which is basically where all the shopping and cool stuff is at. You can take the U bahn and its pretty simple to get there.

The things i didn't like about the leonardo is that they don't honor the bmw discount, and the drain seems to get clogged for the shower. It happened to me and i have read other reviews complain about the same.

I emailed all the hotels from the bmw packet and they all seemed not to honor the discount.
If a discounted hotel room is important get a MB they give you a free night in a 5 Star hotel in Stuttgart and pick up the tab for the taxi to the hotel also from the hotel to the delivery center. Yes more than BMW. And no delivery charge for ED cars.

Current Fleet
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 10-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Ich bin schneller

Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
If a discounted hotel room is important get a MB they give you a free night in a 5 Star hotel in Stuttgart and pick up the tab for the taxi to the hotel also from the hotel to the delivery center. Yes more than BMW. And no delivery charge for ED cars.

That's a dramatic response to a minor issue.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:53 PM

^^^^^^
Blimey does that make me a "Drama King"? Just tired of all the carping about discounts, cheapest, and how little one receives.

Current Fleet
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 10-30-2014, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328iX Gran Turismo
Two days ago, I emailed each of the hotels included in the Welt Welcome Package. Leonardo responded offering me the promo price (99***8364 w/ free parking for one night, only. Additional nights at Leonardo would be 160 /night with parking fee an additional 17 /day. Given all of the mixed reviews on the Leonardo, I decided to try my luck with Priceline by bidding on 5-star hotels in Munich, for a Friday and Saturday night stay over the weekend of Nov 7-9. Result: accepted bid of $120/night, which got me the Sofitel Munich. This hotel gets far better Reviews than the Leonardo and will cost me less $$. Why not give Priceline a whirl?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:52 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
119 Euro per night is pretty decent for a room in Munich and I'm the cheapest SOB on this board. Sorry M Funf. We enjoyed the Arthotel Munich a block from the Hauptbahnhof where we paid 114 per double with breakfast. Close to all the action and only a ten minute walk to the shopping district.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
Old 10-30-2014, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328iX Gran Turismo
That was actually $120 / night in USD (not Euros) on the accepted Priceline bid for 5-star hotel.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
119 Euro per night is pretty decent for a room in Munich and I'm the cheapest SOB on this board. Sorry M Funf. We enjoyed the Arthotel Munich a block from the Hauptbahnhof where we paid 114 per double with breakfast. Close to all the action and only a ten minute walk to the shopping district.
You don't need an apology for honesty.

Current Fleet
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4 1.8t
Thanks for all the replies. So went with the approach suggested by Heat Miser... and booked through hotwire. Ended up getting a room at Hotel Europa... about a mile from the main train station in the Englisher Garden area. Ended up paying 130 USD... and includes breakfast and room wifi. When looking at expedia I noticed that breakfasts run about 15 euros person and wifi about 15 euros per day. So I think this works out quite well and I like the idea of being closer to the city center.

Only sad part that I will have to live with until my dying days is that I won't be getting a free BMW special cocktail!

Can't believe I'm going in two weeks!! Ok... now on to figure out the rest of my trip... woo hoo
Old 10-30-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
what really ticks me off is why offer something and then not honor it? Just don't offer it and don't look like a bunch of jackasses when they don't want to honor is all. not much to ask. pretty simple.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Ich bin schneller

Quote:
Originally Posted by racsos View Post
what really ticks me off is why offer something and then not honor it? Just don't offer it and don't look like a bunch of jackasses when they don't want to honor is all. not much to ask. pretty simple.
Like most hotels, there are rates offered at various times in the year, but not all year long. Munich is a busy city. There was a big realtor convention happening the day right after Oktoberfest ended. It should be understandable that the hotel wants to maximize profits during these times, as it helps them level out the times when business isn't so hot. I'm sure you can get those rates, but they won't be available all the time.

I would bet that those hotels pay BMW to promote them.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Like most hotels, there are rates offered at various times in the year, but not all year long. Munich is a busy city. There was a big realtor convention happening the day right after Oktoberfest ended. It should be understandable that the hotel wants to maximize profits during these times, as it helps them level out the times when business isn't so hot. I'm sure you can get those rates, but they won't be available all the time.

Fair enough didn't look at it that way
Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Face the fact, BMW is cheap, MB put us up in the Charles for 2 nights during Octoberfest.

Current Fleet
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike