Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 04-28-2016, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525
Warning - this is what I have been reduced to...

After having a wonderful Euro Delivery experience in early april, and dropping my new 435GC at Log In Out on Apr 11, I have gotten into the game of tracking it as it makes its way to me in northern california.

I quickly got caught up on the shipping company tracking site: https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb

And was very excited to see the car get loaded onto Aida only a few days after dropoff.

I then found www.marinetraffic.com and set up a "fleet" of one to track the vessel as it passed into belgium, then southhampton and now baltimore MD.

I was very happy to receive the ship horn notification on my iphone of Aida's arrival in baltimore.

Not content to stop there, I then found http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-tr...e-maryland.php to see whats happening with ships in Baltimore Port.

So what I can tell now is that my ship, Aida, is moored across the way from the BMW dock. It seems another ship, the Hoegh Maputo is there now.

My thoughts have moved on to this - what heck is taking them so long to unload (or load) Hoegh Maputo? They got to make way for Aida so it can continue on its way to California !!!

I got it bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tracking obsession.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	561122  
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2016, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xdrive
Great post! I have had a bad wristwatch habit for years, so I know the disease you're facing well (though a new bimmer takes it to a much higher level) of tracking a coveted new toy door to door.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:17 PM

So those of you contemplating your own euro delivery, be warned!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 340i xDrive
It looks like the Aida is at the dock now. Just down from the Brasilia Highway, the ship my car is on!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Vermillion Red 328i
I'm on the Brasilia highway too!!! Obsessed.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:47 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Weird. My car that went to So cal never stopped on the east coast. it went straight to the canal and then up the west coast of mexico.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
You are fine. I paid for the marinetraffic app in my iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljamison View Post
After having a wonderful Euro Delivery experience in early april, and dropping my new 435GC at Log In Out on Apr 11, I have gotten into the game of tracking it as it makes its way to me in northern california.

I quickly got caught up on the shipping company tracking site: https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb

And was very excited to see the car get loaded onto Aida only a few days after dropoff.

I then found www.marinetraffic.com and set up a "fleet" of one to track the vessel as it passed into belgium, then southhampton and now baltimore MD.

I was very happy to receive the ship horn notification on my iphone of Aida's arrival in baltimore.

Not content to stop there, I then found http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-tr...e-maryland.php to see whats happening with ships in Baltimore Port.

So what I can tell now is that my ship, Aida, is moored across the way from the BMW dock. It seems another ship, the Hoegh Maputo is there now.

My thoughts have moved on to this - what heck is taking them so long to unload (or load) Hoegh Maputo? They got to make way for Aida so it can continue on its way to California !!!

I got it bad.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:

I got it bad.
And I thought that I've been obsessive, checking in on the Aida once or twice a day! My car also is aboard, headed for the west coast.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: M-Sport128i 328xiT 3.0CS
Mine made it to NJ without any drama, but sat in agricultural inspection for three weeks. It was agonizing to see the status unchanged day after day. BMW couldn't do anything about the delay, so I just checked the status 2-3 times a day for weeks. Once it was released from agriculture it took just a few days to get to my local dealer.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 AM
(prev. SD335is & SDZ4MR)

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 Coupe | 2006 Z4MR
Quote:

I got it bad.
I did this five years ago for my wife's 2011 ED and after dropping off the car in late May, I spent all of June and part of July obsessively tracking the ship through the European shipping channels, into the Atlantic, then through the Panama Canal and up the west coast of Mexico and California. I saved webcam shots of every place it passed through and have pictures of it in the locks in the Panama Canal. I have a long thread on it in this forum here. I plan to do this again after my Euro Delivery which is in two weeks from today!
Hers: 2011 335is Couipe | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11
Also His: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 340i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MelanieC View Post
I'm on the Brasilia highway too!!! Obsessed.
At least I know my car is in good company It's funny that there were four of us with cars, in two ships, in Baltimore at the same time.

I was telling my brother the story of tracking my car and he couldn't believe that:
1. BMW has a 1-800 number people can call to track the build/shipping status of their car,
2. that BMW can also provide the bill of lading number and the name of vessel the car is on.
3. that the vessel can be tracked in (more or less) real time during its voyage,

and most of all,

4. that there is a forum full of people doing exactly the same thing I am
Old 04-29-2016, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthompson View Post
Mine made it to NJ without any drama, but sat in agricultural inspection for three weeks. It was agonizing to see the status unchanged day after day. BMW couldn't do anything about the delay, so I just checked the status 2-3 times a day for weeks. Once it was released from agriculture it took just a few days to get to my local dealer.
Mine was in a similar situation. You lose all tracking at that point. You can see the ship as it inches in to the port, but once it stops, you have virtually no visibility until it arrives at the dealer for the most part.

I went to a tour of the VDC in Jersey City just last week. The ED cars are super high priority and they want to get them through the process as fast as possible. Once customs releases it, they want it at the dealer in three days max.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 05' Maserati QP, 14' FR-S
I've been tracking mine daily...made it through the panama canal yesterday and is now en route to port hueneme!

2016 435i Coupe Individual
Atlantis metallic/Oyster Dakota
Manual Transmission
Cold weather pkg.
Technology pkg.
407 style rims

Patiently awaiting redelivery!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Joe View Post
I've been tracking mine daily...made it through the panama canal yesterday and is now en route to port hueneme!
Hope you took a snapshot of your ship passing through the locks. There is a 24 hour webcam on the canal website and the locks schedule so you can do this. Good fun!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
I tracked my car by looking at web cams in Belgium and the Panama Canal. The story and photos are blogged at thecar320.wordpress.com
Old 05-05-2016, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
For jljamison and any other fellow Aida fans:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aida - PC2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	562129  
Old 05-05-2016, 02:19 PM

The AIDA passing through Gatun locks of the panama canal. Getting closer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	In the Gatun lock.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	562131  
Old 05-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Warning - this is what I have been reduced to...

The tracking black hole is making me crazy. Dealer said car was at the VPC and released to the carrier on 5/5. Thought I might see it by the 8th.

Last edited by ///MelanieC; 05-07-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:11 AM

Aida arrived at the canal on 5/3 and not on its way after passage until this morning. Brutal traffic!!!
Old 05-07-2016, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xiT
I think we all get obsessive. This is a pic of my car's carrier going through the Gatun Locks in Panama almost 2 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FedoraGatun.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	562297  

Old 05-07-2016, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 05' Maserati QP, 14' FR-S
the Toscana just reached Port Hueneme early this morning! How long will it take for my car (ED) to get to the dealer roughly? (Pacific BMW in Glendale)

2016 435i Coupe Individual
Atlantis metallic/Oyster Dakota
Manual Transmission
Cold weather pkg.
Technology pkg.
407 style rims

Patiently awaiting redelivery!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750Li
Quote:
the Toscana just reached Port Hueneme early this morning! How long will it take for my car (ED) to get to the dealer roughly? (Pacific BMW in Glendale)
Mine took seven calendar days. Knowing that it's just down the street was almost unbearable.

Stay strong.

jeff
Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:
How long will it take for my car (ED) to get to the dealer roughly? (Pacific BMW in Glendale)
The average time for the 160 ED cars that I tracked to move from leaving the ship in Port Hueneme to being picked up at the dealer in California was 17 days.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
What a great thread. There is something about us that we track our ED cars so closely. I am just starting out... again. I got my production order number yesterday and I have only checked the BMWUSA web site ten times or so to see if it has changed.
2007 Mini Cooper S - Sold
1997 Porsche 993 Turbo Sold
1997 Porsche 993 Cab - Sold
Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM

It's heeeeeeere!! Well, it's at my dealer. Unfortunately I'm 4 hours away, so I won't see her until this weekend, but from drop off in Munich to Arrival at dealer, a grand total of 32 days. Not too bad! Now, this will be the longest week ever.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search