Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 09-26-2015, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328i.....getting a 528i.
Routes from Munich to Lake Como (Belllagio) over the Alps?

I have had a 328i for 9 years and buying a 528i via European Delivery (first time!) in early October. My wife and I are driving from Munich to Lake Como as the first leg of our trip. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a route that is relatively direct but with some good scenery and stopping points? We are trying to make it in a day and it seems like 5-6 hours pending the route. Interested in Stelvio Pass or Grossglockner but not sure if it is out of our league. The other suggested route goes via Leichetenstein and comes into Como from the West but looks like its more highway. I am interested in some of the Romantic Road/Castles itineraries and areas in southern Bavaria but don't want to get locked up on secondary/tertiary roads that take forever or are too technical.

Any suggestions for a good all around route from Munich to Lake Como?

Thanks!

PS - Neat, authentic lunch stops a plus also!
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2015, 11:45 PM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: Golf VI R
If you drive directly to Bellagio, if you visualize Lake Como as being a running figure, you'll drive around one of the legs. My recollection is the the road on the right leg was 1.5 lanes wide in many places so it was relatively slow going for me in unfamiliar area. Locals however drive their little Fiats aggressively. Some here have posted that it was a white knuckle drive for them since trucks and tour buses hardly slow down. You could ferry across the lake from the west side to avoid this if it sounds too scary for you.
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old 09-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435GC, 540i, 325i
We just did that drive a few months ago. We stayed in Varenna which is a ferry ride to Bellagio. We have driven the Grossglockner in the past. I considered Stelvio but we just ended up taking an easier route. If you go motorways through Liechtenstein there are two issues- you're not supposed to take ED cars into Liechtenstein and you'll end up going through Switzerland where you'll have to buy a yearlong vignette.

We drove south out of Munich taking A8 to A12 briefly through Austria (where you need a 10 day vignette) and then into Italy. We didn't go straight to Como and stayed in Bolzano and Verona. You could do it in a straight shot but it would be a long day. We probably drove around 2/3 of Lake Como. I found the east side of the lake easier to drive than the west.

The other thing you have to consider is the weather. In October there may be weather that makes driving the mountain passes treacherous.

Last edited by akthorp; 09-27-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 300C
We did the E43 south via the San Bernardino Pass, very direct but scenic route. Yes it will put you west of the lakes but right into Bellagio/Tremezzo.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M3 Tanzanite/SS 6sp
You are underestimating the amount of time you will spend on the road. We took the direct route through Landeck, Pfunds and St. Moritz and through Maloja Pass. We did it on a Sunday, when the streets were very quiet. We left from Garmisch around 10AM and didn't arrive in Tremezzo until 5:30 or so, with a 1 hour stop along the way for lunch, no other stops (no time). The ride was very scenic, but you're not going to make very good time. My guess is a weekday drive with traffic would add another 2 hours to that trip. Grossglockner or Stelvio along the way probably isn't possible without turning it into a 12-14 hour day. If you have time, do Stelvio and stay up there in Northern Italy the night before continuing to Como the following day.

We did hit Grossglockner on the way back to Munich after Como, which we split over 2 days. We took the Autostrada because we didn't have time for the scenic roads in northern italy. Left Tremezzo around 9:30, took a 45 min break and continued to Cortina arriving around 5:30. No real traffic along the way and the drive was not very memorable. I had the energy to go another 1-2 hours, but our hotel was already booked and paid for. If I had to do it over again, I'd book the stop in Austria just south of Grossglockner giving me a little more time the following day. Either that or skip it entirely, enjoy more of the countryside in northern Italy and try Sella or Stelvio Pass which don't take you so far out of the way. The following day we started around 9:15 and continued to Grossglockner, spent 2 hours up at the glacier and only pulled over once for pictures because we were too tight on time. I loved Grossglockner, but it came at a price. We did lose an hour to a road closure and arrived at Munich airport around 6:30. By the time we checked into the hotel, dropped the car off and freshened up, the restaurants in the airport were already closing up. Generally I like to finish our driving by 5:30, settle into the hotel and have a nice dinner. If you're okay driving into the night, you can easily buy another 4 hours of driving, much of which will be traffic free.

2015 M3 (NOT quattro, 6 sp, tanzanite, silverstone extended, cf roof/trim, executive, lighting, 19" silver wheels, adaptive M, hk sound)
2005.5 A4 Avant (quattro, 6sp, etc. etc.)

** September 11th, 2001 - Never Forget **
Old 09-28-2015, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RSX
Don't go through Stelvio pass. It is closed. We tried to day before yesterday. But it was closed
Old 09-28-2015, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: '16 M235 vert, '11 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanki View Post
Don't go through Stelvio pass. It is closed. We tried to day before yesterday. But it was closed
We were thinking of going there next week. Is it closed for the season, or just temporarily due to the recent snow? Anyone know where current info could be had on the internet for this and other passes on the Alps?
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 14 328d wagon
Belllagio was way out of the way and a big disappointment for me.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
We were thinking of going there next week. Is it closed for the season, or just temporarily due to the recent snow? Anyone know where current info could be had on the internet for this and other passes on the Alps?
http://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenser...penpaesse.html

http://www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo

http://jalopnik.com/the-worlds-great...e-fo-944904488

I plan to do Furka Pass, Grimsel Pass, and Susten Pass in 3 weeks provided the weather is good.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: '16 M235 vert, '11 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link1970 View Post
Thank you!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 PM

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 PM

Thanks. What is the story on the vignettes? Do I need to stop in Austria, Switz, and Leich to get one each time? Also, what are the costs to get them (or penalties for not having? Do I need to get my passport stamped also? I was thinking the travel was pretty fluid among contiguous countries but may be wrong.

Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC BMW Owner View Post
Thanks. What is the story on the vignettes? Do I need to stop in Austria, Switz, and Leich to get one each time? Also, what are the costs to get them (or penalties for not having? Do I need to get my passport stamped also? I was thinking the travel was pretty fluid among contiguous countries but may be wrong.

Thanks!!

The wiki talks about the vignettes -- there are several sources, but the easiest to me was to stop at a gas station near the border.

My recollection is that the cost was insignificant, in the scheme of things, particularly when compared to the stories about getting nicked (particularly Switzerland), if you neglect to purchase ahead...

Passport... No stamp required...

Fluid travel... Last time I crossed the borders, I bought the vignettes, so no problems... Very fluid.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC BMW Owner View Post

Thanks!!
Liechtenstein is not on the list of allowed countries to travel through on ED.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 435GC, 540i, 325i
An Austrian vignette I think is about 8 for 10 days. In Switzerland the shortest vignette is a year and it is much more expensive. Don't get caught without a vignette. I don't know the fine but I'm sure it's significant.

Get the vignette before you enter the country at a store off the autobahn.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M3 Tanzanite/SS 6sp
I think the Swiss one is around 40 euro. The penalties are steep. I thought I remember reading a story just before I left where someone got caught to the tune of 300+ euro in Austria. And they are pretty vigilant about checking near borders. I would expect the Swiss penalties to be double.

2015 M3 (NOT quattro, 6 sp, tanzanite, silverstone extended, cf roof/trim, executive, lighting, 19" silver wheels, adaptive M, hk sound)
2005.5 A4 Avant (quattro, 6sp, etc. etc.)

** September 11th, 2001 - Never Forget **
Old 09-29-2015, 06:57 PM

Thanks to all for the vignette clarification! I will make sure to stop and grab them as I am able on the highway, perhaps driving around Switzerland if I must and thinking on maybe gambling through Liechtenstein as it seems to be the safest/easiest route from Munich to Lake Como....I think if i blink I will be through it!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:08 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M3 Lime Rock
Splugen Pass is also an option - if it is open. It runs from Chur to the top of Lake Como

Subscribe to Via Corsa Magazine

Car Lover's Guide to Southern Germany
Car Lover's Guide to Northern California
(Available at - www.amazon.com)

www.viacorsa.com
| Facebook

Last edited by ViaCorsa; 10-01-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Two ways to get to Bellagio from Munich:-

1) via Stelvio pass
2) via Oberalp pass to Andermatt, loop around the three Swiss passes (Susten, Grimsel, Furka) and also Gotthard pass.

Both routes involve a ferry across to Bellagio, and require 2 1/2 to 3 days to do properly IMHO.

(This is NOT based on my experience, only on my advance planning for an ED!)

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
alps, first time ed, germany, italy, lake como, routes

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search