Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Picking up 550i xDrive in Sept - Itinerary input requested

Woo hoo! I am picking up my new 550i xDrive (M Package/Carbon Black/Black Napa/Anthracite) on September 24th at 11:10 am! I didn't actually intend to go during Oktoberfest, but ce la vie, it's scheduled and it's happening! I have two potential itineraries I am considering - any input to either route or cities would be appreciated.

Itin 1: Northern Italy

Day 1: Arrive Munich - OKTOBERFEST!
Day 2: Pick up car, drive to Lake Como (5.5 hours - too far? I could stop somewhere on the way like Lugano and continue to Lake Como the next day...)
Day 3: Lake Como
Day 4: Lake Como
Day 5 Lake Como to Verona (2.5 hours)
Day 6: Verona
Day 7: Verona to Venice (2.5 hours, plus time into the city)
Day 8: Venice
Day 9: Venice to Bolzano (4 hours)
Day 10: Bolzano to Munich to return car (3 hours)
Day 11: Depart

Itin 2: Central Europe

Day 2: Pick up car, drive to Salzburg (2 hours)
Day 3: Salzburg to Vienna (3.5-4 hours)
Day 4: Vienna to Budapest (2.5-3 hours)
Day 5: Budapest
Day 6: Budapest to Bratislava (2 - 2.5 hours)
Day 7: Bratislava to Prague (3.5-4 hours)
Day 8: Prague
Day 9: Prague
Day 10: Return to Munich and return car (4.5 hours)

This is about equal car time, around 18-20 hours total.

Thoughts on one versus the other? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks -Melissa
Burlington, KY

Last edited by mwinterod; Yesterday at 04:15 PM.
Ads by Google
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: Golf VI R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinterod View Post
Woo hoo! I am picking up my new 550i xDrive (M Package/Carbon Black/Black Napa/Anthracite) on September 24th at 11:10 am! I didn't actually intend to go during Oktoberfest, but ce la vie, it's scheduled and it's happening! I have two potential itineraries I am considering - any input to either route or cities would be appreciated.

Day 4: Vienna to Budapest (2.5-3 hours)
Day 5: Budapest
Day 6: Budapest to Bratislava (2 - 2.5 hours)
Day 7: Bratislava to Prague (3.5-4 hours)
Day 8: Prague
Day 9: Prague
Day 10: Return to Munich and return car (4.5 hours)

Thanks -Melissa
Burlington, KY
If you haven't been to these places, I consider Vienna being worth more than 1 night, compared to Budapest or Prague.
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
By far my preferred route. Drop Bratislava (NOTHING really interesting there)...

Quote:
Itin 2: Central Europe

Day 4: VIENNA
Day 5: VIENNA
Day 6: VIENNA TO BUDAPEST
Day 7: BUDAPEST
Day 8: DRIVE TO PRAGUE
Day 9: PRAGUE
Day 10: Return to Munich and return car

Thanks -Melissa
Burlington, KY
Vienna requires more time, but it is perfectly visitable (lol) without a car. Budapest is fun for a two-day, throw in a trip to Balaton for a Lecho, Goulash and some Tokai and it is awesome!. Prague for me is meh, but I know you would like to go there... Just my 2c!

[d]

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Venice, Vienna, Budapest and Prague are best seen without a car. Bavaria, Salzburg, the Dolomites and Lake Como are best visited by car. I would suggest you leave the bigger cities for a trip when you have no car and tailor your ED itinerary for the smaller cities.
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
The One who Drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
Venice, Vienna, Budapest and Prague are best seen without a car. Bavaria, Salzburg, the Dolomites and Lake Como are best visited by car. I would suggest you leave the bigger cities for a trip when you have no car and tailor your ED itinerary for the smaller cities.
I think that 48 hours for Venice is just about enough. And Tronchetto is a perfect option for an EDer.
Vienna is best visited by public transport. It is not ED friendly - with high parking fees and limited availability of parking spaces within hotels. I heard (and fully agree with) people who spent 3-04 full days exploring the city and never grew bored. Most interesting of the ones mentioned above.
Budapest is another 48 hours type city. Unless you are planning trips to the countryside (Balaton, neighboring Slovenia and Croatia) or you want to explore the city really in-depth, 2 days is enough.
Prague by far is way overrated. I cut my last trip to be just under 24 hours, since I really could not find this city tourist-friendly. I am not sure what is the appeal of it so that many people include it in their itineraries.
Bavaria ist fantastisch! for a car owner, a fast car-owner, or an EDer. Charming towns, awesome drives, Autobahns, all is there to enjoy in one place. Highly recommended.
Salzburg is a few hours drive from Munich and on approach looks like a gateway to the Alps. But the city itself is very Mozart-themed and I am not particularly fond of it. Nice to put it on your list, but mostly as a drive-through city.
Dolomites/Julian Alps/Lake Como - awesome, drive-able, but because of unpredictable conditions and/or long traverse times for some passes require some preparations.

That's my, very very subjective opinion.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Appreciate your replies so far! Anybody think Lake Como is too far to go on the first day? I have the same concerns about car friendliness- my travel agent doesn't seem to care when I ask?
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Btw, would Plan on leaving the car parked for city visits.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
The One who Drives.

Quote:
Appreciate your replies so far! Anybody think Lake Como is too far to go on the first day? I have the same concerns about car friendliness- my travel agent doesn't seem to care when I ask?
I split Lake Como -> Munich into 2 parts: Dervio -> Livigno via Passo Foscagno and then Livigno (great 4 star hotel off season for < 90 euro per night with breakfast) -> Fussen (castles: Neuschwanstein, lunch in Fussen) -> Munich (late afternoon arrival, checked in to the hotel bid on and won on Priceline (Marriott for < 50 euro per night).

Old Today, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: ED 9/18: 2014 335i MSport
Quote:
its far. spend a night in Switzerland. I suggest St. Moritz...awesome!
Old Today, 12:46 PM

I love the idea of St. Moritz. I'm narrowing down to maybe something like this, based on some of your advice...thanks!
Day 1: Arrive in Munich - OKTOBERFEST!
Day 2: pick up car in AM, leave by noon, head to Fussen area, explore Bavaria, overnight
Day 3: Visit castles early, have lunch, hit the road to Bolzano, dinner and overnight
Day 4: Breakfast, then drive to Venice (Tronchetto), park, get into town, explore, overnight
Day 5: Venice
Day 6: Breakfast, lazy morning, then head to pick up car and drive to Lake Como for dinner and overnight
Day 7: Lake Como
Day 8: Lazy morning, leave after lunch for St. Moritz, explore, dinner, overnight
Day 9: Lazy morning (I like these a lot), drive to ??? (I would like to get close to Munich, but not all the way there - suggestions?)
Day 10: Early return of car in Munich - then....explore Munich or hit Oktoberfest again.
Day 11: Travel home

That's 8 separate hotel stays, which is maybe a little brutal, but I like the idea of moving around and exploring versus staying in only one or two spots the whole time. I am a professional traveler for a living (not really, but I'm in sales, and it feels like it sometimes!), so I am totally good at living out of a suitcase. Plus, don't I WANT to drive my new car?? I think only Venice is a bit car unfriendly in this itinerary, and I won't have the car in Munich at all.

Thoughts on this edition? THANKS!
Old Today, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Quote:
That's 8 separate hotel stays, which is maybe a little brutal, but I like the idea of moving around and exploring versus staying in only one or two spots the whole time. I am a professional traveler for a living (not really, but I'm in sales, and it feels like it sometimes!), so I am totally good at living out of a suitcase. Plus, don't I WANT to drive my new car?? I think only Venice is a bit car unfriendly in this itinerary, and I won't have the car in Munich at all.
Yes, 8 hotels in 10 days is more than I would care to do, but you have targeted locations which are car friendly and make good use of your ED car.

When in Lake Como spend the day taking the ferry to Bellagio and Varenna and spend an hour or two in each. Stop off in other towns that appeal or select a palace to tour.