How far ahead to reserve date & same day pickup as flight - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 328i sedan, '02 525iT
How far ahead to reserve date & same day pickup as flight

I'm going to do my 4th ED next March. The problem is that it has to be during my son's spring break which happens to be starting on Good Friday and is the week after Easter. So....that leaves me basically with that Thursday before Good Friday 2018. That means i would have to fly out Wednesday from US and arrive Thursday a.m. in Munich and pick up the car the same day. I really don't want to do that. I have always picked up the next morning giving me 24 hours or so in Germany first. I don't want to fly out Tuesday and arrive Wednesday as that would mean more time off work and kid out of school defeating the point of using spring break for the trip.

So my questions are two:

1. How awful is it arriving on the plane in the a.m. (with potential flight delays) and picking up later that same day at Welt? Who has done it and what are your experiences with that

2. How far ahead can I reserve the date. I am going to have to be pretty inflexible with the date since the Welt will be closed Good Friday 2018 and that next day Saturday before Easter. I can't wait until the following Tuesday because I need the car to travel. So it's bascially that one day, Thursday, before Good Friday. I have always gotten my first choice so I should be good and basically need to reserve as soon as possible to guarantee my date. I'm likely getting a 2018 540i sedan.
(PCD)
2007 BMW 530xi wagon green/beige, sport, premium, cold weather
2002 BMW 525i topaz blue wagon (sold)
2009 BMW 328i montego blue sedan (european delivery 2009, turned in)
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: JB/SB 335i Coupe
With my first ED we had Rolf pick us up at the airport upon arrival and we went and picked up the car that day. We then proceeded to drive to Interlaken, Switzerland. It was something I would not recommend but we lived. If your not going anywhere that day it probably wouldn't be a problem. Just park you car at the Welt and drive the next day. The earliest I believe a reservation can be made is 5 months out.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Registered Boozer

Mein Auto: 2011 328xit, 2012 Golf R
1 - I've done it twice. No big deal. I've done this maybe 30 times with rental cars, so why would this be different? The longest I've driven that same day would probably be about 3 hours.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 3 Series Wagon (F31)
We were just forced into the situation of arriving in the morning and picking up the car the same day because of a missed flight due to weather in ATL. We were able to pick the car up and drive to Zurich which is about 3.5 hours. We made it ok BUT IF I HAD THE CHOICE I WOULDN'T DO IT AGAIN.
If you need to pick up the car the same day, take delivery and drive a short distance to a local hotel, park it and get some rest. Then start your adventure the next day.
Since you are talking the Thursday before Good Friday you don't have the option of leaving the car at the Welt after delivery to retrieve it the next day. They will be closed on Good Friday.
Good luck and enjoy # 4!
BMW CCA #257
]
Old 05-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: '14 F10 550
While you're planning your ED, if you need any assistance with Tours, Hotels, or flights, shoot me a message.

You can't VIP yourself at luxury properties and many do not have any loyalty program. If you want to stay at luxury properties I can offer you perks such as:
- Upgraded room at check-in (sometimes at booking)
- Free Breakfast
- food & beverage or spa credit
- early check-in/late checkout
- much more

As an example, properties I have relationships with in Munich would be:

- Mandarin Oriental, Munich
- Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
- Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
- Hotel Bayerischer Hof
- The Charles Hotel, a Rocco Forte hotel

Since I have connections with many tour providers in Germany and Europe, I can provide tours and experiences you cannot find or book on your own. I'll be happy to assist in your trip, drop me a PM or shoot me an email at info@sculptedescapes.com

Have a great day!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:51 AM

Would BMW pick you up at the Munich airport and take you directly to the Welt?
(PCD)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i Convertible
Yes. BMW provides complimentary transfer from Airport to Welt (or your hotel). Providing pricing and ordering guides are available (this should not be a problem for Easter 2018), cars can be ordered 5 months in advance. PN and date is confirmed within a matter of days. Given potential airline delays, I suggest getting one of the last delivery time slots for the day. If you get there earlier, you can enjoy the Premium Lounge --- and even see if you can bump up the delivery time (the check-in desk is VERY accommodating).

Have a great time...
Old 05-18-2017, 10:56 AM

So I will order my MY 18 car in October 2017 for March 2018 pickup. I just pray I get the exact date I need. the day before good Friday. 5 months out I hope I can but could be tough with the holiday closing schedule for Easter.
(PCD)
Old 05-23-2017, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by soledoc View Post
So I will order my MY 18 car in October 2017 for March 2018 pickup. I just pray I get the exact date I need. the day before good Friday. 5 months out I hope I can but could be tough with the holiday closing schedule for Easter.
My wife and I did ED in March of 2014, b/c she is a college professor and we needed to do it during her Spring Break. I ordered the car in December - to get the best deals, paid for it in January.

Is it still possible to do a March ED and order the car in December?
I am looking at a '18 wagon for me, to replace my '06 wagon.

1967 1600 (batteship gray) got me hooked (6 volt - wtf?)
1990 E30 convertible -calypso red it was fun for 14 years
2006 E91 ED - sparkling graphite, 6-spd, xenon, cold weather, premium, Logic 7 sound. His
2014 F30 - ED - Liquid Blue, auto, Tech, DHP, Sat, Lighting, Leather, cold weather. Hers
Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by soledoc View Post

So my questions are two:

1. How awful is it arriving on the plane in the a.m. (with potential flight delays) and picking up later that same day at Welt? Who has done it and what are your experiences with that

2. How far ahead can I reserve the date. I am going to have to be pretty inflexible with the date since the Welt will be closed Good Friday 2018 and that next day Saturday before Easter. I can't wait until the following Tuesday because I need the car to travel. So it's bascially that one day, Thursday, before Good Friday. I have always gotten my first choice so I should be good and basically need to reserve as soon as possible to guarantee my date. I'm likely getting a 2018 540i sedan.
Regarding flight delays there is no way in knowing what is going to happen, so with that, you can arrive a day or two ahead so it won't be a problem, are you paying for your flights or using miles and points? IF you want to give yourself some time, you can get an afternoon pick up at the Welt. BMW pays for a Limo ride from MUC airport to either the Welt or your hotel depending on when you are arriving.

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015
Old 05-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Custom User

Mein Auto: 428GC
Are the blackout dates for 2018 published somewhere? Is the Welt closed all week after Easter or just Monday?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search