Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 325
Marienbrücke closed

Anyone know if you can at least get close enough for a view/picture, or is the whole trail approaching it closed?

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/

"At the moment the Marienbrücke, the bridge over the Pollät gorge, is closed to visitors due to major renovation work. The work is expected to continue until the end of July 2016."
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 128i Xdrive
Normally the bus runs from below the castle at the corner of Parkstrasse and Schwangauerstrasse (near the biggest parking lot) up to a lot just below the Marienbrücke. I'd check to see if that bus still operates. From there you can hike uphill and look down on both the bridge and castle. Easy walk down from there to the ticket office and castle entrance.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
If you go up to the actual castle, there is a path from the back of the castle that goes up to the bridge....a lot of people who take the bus up the the bridge take this path down to the castle....it's not like some rough dirt trail, it is an actual path that's paved and marked. Anyway, as you walk up the path away from the castle, there are some good views of the castle. If you go all the way up and can get near the bridge, you'll be able to get just as good a picture as if you were on the bridge.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:47 AM

Thanks, I'm hoping we can get close enough for some good shots. I was there 26 years ago, but I don't remember how it was laid out.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 128i Xdrive

I might also suggest going on Google Earth and typing "Neuschwanstein Castle". Zoom in and you can really explore the terrain.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
With Marienbrucke closed there is another option for viewing Neuschwanstein Castle - a viewpoint on the trail which starts at the top of the Tegelbergbahn. Unfortunately I have not seen this first hand but MunichLocal made mention of a viewpoint with a great view of Neuschwanstein part way down this trail. You can find his post here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=34

So far I don't recall having seen any photos on Bimmerfest from this viewpoint. Perhaps you would post your photos from this viewpoint if you happen to walk the trail.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the map.
Forgot about that post from Munich local. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
With Marienbrucke closed there is another option for viewing Neuschwanstein Castle - a viewpoint on the trail which starts at the top of the Tegelbergbahn. Unfortunately I have not seen this first hand but MunichLocal made mention of a viewpoint with a great view of Neuschwanstein part way down this trail. You can find his post here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=34

So far I don't recall having seen any photos on Bimmerfest from this viewpoint. Perhaps you would post your photos from this viewpoint if you happen to walk the trail.

Can any recent Neuschwanstein visitors comment on how to get a great view of the castle from a higher point while Marienbrücke bridge is still close. Our visit is in late July which Neuschwanstein still close for repair according to their website. Thank you so much!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
We were there in May and walked from the castle up to where the bus stop is, hoping we could get closer to the bridge, but no luck! The road is closed right at the bust stop so no one can go past that point towards the bridge. While walking on the paved path back to the castle, I noticed a no entry sign on a dirt road to the right. It almost seemed like you could walk up the path to the edge of the cliff and get a nice view of the castle but my wife didn't let me walk up that dirt path.

The other option was the trek from Tegelburg ... we didn't have time for that...
Old 07-08-2016, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
This appears to be an official site discussing Ludwig's castles:

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/

It suggests that Marienbrucke will be open in August 2016.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:36 AM

Yes, I was just there last week and the trails are closed. I suppose I could have ignored the sign to see how close I could get but I didn't. It was raining the day I was there anyway.

I did find this post however that might be a good alternative, I didn't get to try it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=9253110

Look at post #34 about Ahornreiterweg trail.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi
I asked this question on TripAdvisor Q&A: "With Mary Bridge close, I am still hoping to find a location to take good pictures at the same eye level as the castle before the end of July during our visit (the bridge will reopen in August). I saw two recent visitor reviewers from Kape? and Richard_Harpum took pictures from a location like that. I was wondering if anyone know where is this photo spot and how to get there? Thanks."

These are the pictures I was referring to:
Picture 1
Picture 2

And here is an answer:
"We went on a trail upwards behind the castle suggested by our hotel which provided us for the tickets to the tour and a map as well. On that trail, close to a bench you just turn your eyes to your left and you'll see the castle and the bridge. Try to get this information when you buy the tickets to the tour or from the info office downtown."

Last edited by foogle; 07-16-2016 at 11:36 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search