Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Jetta GLX
Tipping in Germany

Hi all! What is the rule/suggestion on tipping in Germany? Is it customary to tip Rolf on top of the 55 Euros or is that not appropriate?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 AM
BMWCCA member

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 6 series
I was there with him a few months ago. If you are thoroughly pleased, and feel he took great care of you, tip him. He may graciously refuse, he may accept, but either way, I'm guessing you will feel better and it will mean alot to him that he is appreciated. Please, give him my best !!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktrak View Post
Hi all! What is the rule/suggestion on tipping in Germany? Is it customary to tip Rolf on top of the 55 Euros or is that not appropriate?
Appropriate and appreciated.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 06 E46 cab
Rolf v Sixt Shuttle

Can someone please explain what it is about Rolf's service that makes it worth 55E when there is a free Sixt service in a 7er?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, 550i
You pay that amount for convenience and service. You arrive, he handles the details one often faces when arriving in a new country. He provides an overview of the city and can answer any specific procedural BMW ED questions.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-15-2014, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Rock View Post
You pay that amount for convenience and service. You arrive, he handles the details one often faces when arriving in a new country. He provides an overview of the city and can answer any specific procedural BMW ED questions.

Actually so did my LoginOut driver last week. And he would not take a tip!

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 05-15-2014, 06:42 AM
BMWCCA member

There has been so much written about the benefits, enjoyment, satisfaction, and personal attention members have received from Rolf. All are in past posting readily available through the search bar at the top of the page. To attempt to get into them at this point is futile as there are those that will see any accolades as an opportunity to counter with their opinions touting the free service. I for one am not looking to get into a debate or an argument. Those that have been fortunate to meet Rolf, that truly appreciated all he did know they received much more than the minimal fee paid. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I look forward to seeing Rolf on my next trip to Munich.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidneyKidney View Post
Can someone please explain what it is about Rolf's service that makes it worth 55E when there is a free Sixt service in a 7er?
The free service is certainly stuff competition. Rolf offers personal service and advice. I wonder if he is more convenient as far as pickup. The free service is for downtown hotels and the Welt. It is unclear if they will bring you to other hotels.

It would be nice if bimmerfest readers could opt for Rolf either free or for a small supplement. Maybe one of the well.established moderators or founders can consider such request to be submitted?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidneyKidney View Post
Rolf is a retired former BMW employee and has been providing his shuttle service to Bimmerfest members for years. The Sixt service is brand new. The previous options were hiring a cab (more expensive) or taking the S-Bahn and/or U-Bahn (inconvenient and time consuming to some). With only 5 posts, you obviously don't know the history of Rolf and haven't read the hundreds of glowing compliments from those who have used Rolf in the past when his service was relatively inexpensive, convenient, and personal.

This new service obviously changes the landscape and is serious competition for Rolf. I can see how someone who doesn't know Rolf's history of providing excellent personal service looking at the new Sixt service and seeing FREE and making their decision based only on that.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 AM
BMWCCA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Rolf is a retired former BMW employee and has been providing his shuttle service to Bimmerfest members for years. The Sixt service is brand new. The previous options were hiring a cab (more expensive) or taking the S-Bahn and/or U-Bahn (inconvenient and time consuming to some). With only 5 posts, you obviously don't know the history of Rolf and haven't read the hundreds of glowing compliments from those who have used Rolf in the past when his service was relatively inexpensive, convenient, and personal.

This new service obviously changes the landscape and is serious competition for Rolf. I can see how someone who doesn't know Rolf's history of providing excellent personal service looking at the new Sixt service and seeing FREE and making their decision based only on that.

Well said, thank you
Old 05-15-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
The free service is certainly stuff competition. Rolf offers personal service and advice. I wonder if he is more convenient as far as pickup. The free service is for downtown hotels and the Welt. It is unclear if they will bring you to other hotels.

It would be nice if bimmerfest readers could opt for Rolf either free or for a small supplement. Maybe one of the well.established moderators or founders can consider such request to be submitted?
My LoginOut driver took us to a different hotel without issue, answered many questions about BMW, Munich, traffic rules, no fee and would not accept a tip.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
Old 05-15-2014, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: A big grin
On my first ED we used the BMW service as it was included in our tour package. The next time we used Rolf. Rolf's better.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM
BMWCCA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
My LoginOut driver took us to a different hotel without issue, answered many questions about BMW, Munich, traffic rules, no fee and would not accept a tip.
You said that in your previous post, thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i, 2014 X3 28i
I guess I just prefer personal service. The way I equate it is having a trusted, known driver picking you up from the airport, a meeting, etc., or having the company send you some random person you don't know and don't necessarily trust.

I've used Rolf a number of times and he's been able to provide assistance on several matters not even related to BMW. One time he helped me track down info on Bayern Munich tickets, just to give one example. He also made my first time to Munich and Germany more enjoyable and took some of the uneasiness out of it. Fast forward years later and I now know Munich very well and don't necessarily need his assistance, but I will for sure be shooting him an email before my next ED this year.

I would suggest to the OP as others already have, to do a search before asking such a question.
2008 528i - Retired
Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstein View Post
You said that in your previous post, thanks
Repeated myself - wonder where I picked up that habit?

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 3.0
I took possession of my 1st European Delivery BMW this morning. I tried using Rolf for my pick up from the airport months ago but he was already committed. Rolf referred me to fellow Co - worker Peter. Peter met us at the airport and took us to our hotel for €55. Peter explained things along the way and was great. Not knowing how to get to the Welt the following day I booked a driver through the Sixt service. When Peter dropped us off at the hotel he offered to take us to the Welt.

The driver through the Sixt service was not nearly as informative. I also checked what the cost would have been through Sixt to drop at the hotel and Peter was €23 cheaper. Cannot say enough about using Rolf or someone he recommends.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, 550i
Well said Dallas550. May I add that Rolf took me into a cell phone establishment and interpreted all of my SIM card questions thus enabling me to purchase the perfect data plan for my stay. Again, convenience and service that is well worth his fee from my perspective.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 06 E46 cab
Rolf

I appreciate all the input. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.5d
Smile Had Rolf meet us at Munich airport for 3rd time - Wonderful experience again!

We have just returned from a 3 week driving experience, this time renting a almost new (3200 miles on it) BMW 525d from Sixt car rental. Previously, we had done two ED's in 2007 and 2010 and Rolf was a fabulous help each time.

This time, on the way to our favorite Hotel Torbrau, Rolf - when we told him our driving plans - took us to the German equivalent of AAA called ADAC to get our vignettes for the multiple countries we needed them in. Our AAA membership card got us in and also free maps. What a time saver and a relief that was not to have stop at the border of Austria and Switzerland to get these stickers as we put them on the car when we got the rental car.

BTW, Sixt also delivered the car to our hotel for our two week driving trip (we had planned driving about 2,500 miles thru Italy and Germany, and France returning the car to Frankfurt airport. The car they gave us was almost new, and even had navigation it it so no need to use our TomTom we always bring along. I highly recommend Sixt.

Finally, I cannot thank Rolf enough for his advice and recommendations, and camaraderie. Already planning a return trip for ED for next year, if they ever bring back the 5 series wagon back to the US as it is time to replace our 2008 535xiT.

Book Rolf - you will not regret it!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 PM
BMWCCA member

Nice to hear, Rolf is more than a service, he is a friend, to many of us, well said !!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: .
First time poster, but long time lurker here.
Another thumbs up for Rolf and his services! Rolf picked my wife and I up this morning at the airport and drove us to our hotel. We took the scenic route, which is exactly what I wanted to see local sights and sounds and not just the autobahn from the airport to the city centre.
All I can say is that in any future ED, I will be using his service regardless of any other free services available! It's like having your old friend picking you up at the airport.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: .
Another thumbs up for Rolf and his services! Rolf picked my wife and I up this morning at the airport and drove us to our hotel. We took the scenic route, which is exactly what I wanted to see local sights and sounds and not just the autobahn from the airport to the city centre.
All I can say is that in any future ED, I will be using his service regardless of any other free services available! It's like having your old friend picking you up at the airport.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i M-Sport
Tried to book Rolf but he is already booked. So Peter will be taking care of us.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 PM
BMWCCA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex View Post

Nice !!!!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM
BMWCCA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Tried to book Rolf but he is already booked. So Peter will be taking care of us.

Never dealt with Peter, but have heard good things. Enjoy your trip !!!