Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0
Thumbs up 2001 Z3 3.0 Spark Plugs

I just had my plugs replaced on my 2002 Ford Expedition. I used Bosch Platinum +4's.....

OMG!!! I am amazed at the increase in power, smooth acceleration not only on flat roads but up steep grades, its like I have a new engine!

So, not knowing that much about spark plugs.....What does my Z3 have ( factory build) ??

What plugs have you tried and liked?

I only have 28K miles on the car, but with the dramatic increase in power I saw on my truck, I can only imagine what these type of plugs would do for the Z !!

Again, plugs are Bosch Platinum +4's........

Thanks

Mark
Ads by Google
Old 08-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.8 SC'd
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpaw
I just had my plugs replaced on my 2002 Ford Expedition. I used Bosch Platinum +4's.....

OMG!!! I am amazed at the increase in power, smooth acceleration not only on flat roads but up steep grades, its like I have a new engine!

So, not knowing that much about spark plugs.....What does my Z3 have ( factory build) ??

What plugs have you tried and liked?

I only have 28K miles on the car, but with the dramatic increase in power I saw on my truck, I can only imagine what these type of plugs would do for the Z !!

Again, plugs are Bosch Platinum +4's........

Thanks

Mark

Hmm, I don't know... but I'm pretty sure the difference for the Z won't be that noticieable; I guess the stock ones will already be of pretty high quality...
Old 08-24-2005, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3, '03 330i
OE plugs are NGK BKR6EQUP. This is a platinum plug with four ground electrodes - the Bosch design is similar. BMW recommended replacement interval is 100,000 miles.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0
Ok, thanks. so the OEM plugs I have are the same ( design / type) as the Bosch Platinum +4's......then there should be little benefit if I swapped them out...Thanks

Mark
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Relighting this old thread to add some current information that others may find useful.

I changed the original spark plugs in my 2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster (74,000 miles) yesterday. The car was running fine, but after 10 years and 74,000 miles it seemed new spark plugs were in order. After a little research on this forum, I decided to go with the current OEM plugs from the BMW dealer. Here is the result:

1. Current BMW P/N (per RealOEM and the BMW dealer) is 12120037607. There apparently used to be two P/N's, one for Bosch and one for NGK, but now there is only one P/N.

2. The plugs the BMW dealer gave me for this P/N are Bosch (BMW) FGR7DQP. Price was $20.11 each after "BMWCCA discount".

3. The plugs I removed from my Z3 are NGK (BMW) BKR6EQUP.

4. Both plugs have four ground electrodes, although the ground electrodes have a different shape (Bosch are thinner and have a bend at the end, and NGK are thicker and have straight ends). The center electrode on the NGK plug is thicker than the Bosch plug, although both are flush with the end of the insulator. Frankly, the NGK plugs look a little more robust than the Bosch plugs, for whatever that is worth. See pictures comparing the two plugs.

5. The original NGK plugs were in very good condition for 10 years and 74,000 miles, and probably did not need to be replaced. There seems to be no technical reason to replace these long-life spark plugs every year or so. However, the plugs were a little difficult to remove, which is probably the result of being installed "dry", so be careful if removing original plugs. I put a light coating of anti-seize on the new Bosch plugs.

6. I used a Craftman 3/8" drive, 5/8" spark plug wrench for removal and installation, and torqued the plugs to 19 ft-lb (allowance for the anti-seize) with a Craftsman 3/8" drive torque wrench. Two 6-inch socket extensions make the #6 (rear) plug removal and installation much easier (you can work between the two electrical cables that run over the top of the plug). You also need an 8mm and a 10mm socket and a small standard screwdriver. As with many things, using the right tools makes this job much easier (especially to do it correctly). None of the tools needed are expensive, and frankly should already be in the tool box of a DIYer, so there seems to be no need to jury-rig this job. A Bentley Service Manual is also essential (or at least very helpful), and would avoid many of the questions I see posted.

7. The car started right up and ran smoothly without any dreaded CEL lit. I'll see if there is any fuel mileage improvement or other signs that the original plugs were due for replacement. Five of the spark plug wells were clean and dry. However, #5 had a few very small droplets of a clear, reddish fluid at the bottom. It did not look like engine oil leaking past the valve cover gasket, so I am assuming it must be some residual assembly lubricant. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate hearing.

8. I checked on the Bosch Platinum+4 plugs at the local Advance Auto Parts for comparison to the BMW dealer factory OEM Bosch plugs. The P/N for the 3.0i plugs is 4417, and this is what is stamped into the spark plug. There is no number similar to the factory OEM plug. The +4 plug looks very similar (identical?) to the factory plug, and costs only $5.99. I do not know if this is the same Bosch plug as the factory OEM, just with a different number, but since the OEM plugs will probably last for many years, I decided to not risk it for the savings ($120 vs. $36). We'll see . . .

New Bosch FGR7DQP (left) vs. used NGK BKR6EQUP (right), without and with flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0947.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	259350   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0948.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	259351  
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 12-22-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Follow-up report. I just returned from a 1,600-mile round trip drive to Missouri via Oklahoma. Driving with the cruise control on at 75 mph +/- (speed and mileage confirmed by a Garmin 276C Plus GPS), using 91 octane Exxon and Shell gasoline, with Michelin Pilot Sports inflated to 31 F and 34 R, and the top UP, I got about 25.5 mpg over a tankful on the trip to Missouri when the ambient temperature was in 30 degree F range, and about 27.5 mpg on the return trip down in Oklahoma and Texas when the ambient temperature was warmer, in the 40's and 50's, and maybe 60's at the end. This may be a little bit better mileage than I was getting before the spark plug change, but probably not much. Therefore, it seems the old spark plugs, at 10 years old and 74,000 miles, were still serviceable.

FYI - According to my Garmin GPS, the BMW Z3 speedometer reads about 4-5 mph high at 70-75 mph (no surprise there), but the odometer reads about 0.3% high (confirmed twice over a 300-mile tank of fuel), which seems to be easily within the size tolerances of the tires, and therefore the BMW odometer appears to be accurate. Just confirming what we already know . . . that BMW intentionally installs "optimistic" speedometers. My Jeep Liberty speedometer, on the other hand, matches the GPS speed within 0.5 mph.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 01-08-2011, 09:37 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Spark

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/sparkplugchart.jpg

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/eng...plication.html
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks Ron. I have seen your two documents before, but unless I am just missing it they do not specifically address the M54 3-liter engine in the 2001-02 Z3 3.0i, so I was just adding the information that I had found as well as my experience with this engine and spark plug life.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:56 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
Thanks Ron. I have seen your two documents before, but unless I am just missing it they do not specifically address the M54 3-liter engine in the 2001-02 Z3 3.0i, so I was just adding the information that I had found as well as my experience with this engine and spark plug life.
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/SparkPlugChart.pdf
Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Ah . . . a revised 04/05 chart! Glad to see it matches what I found.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:59 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Ah . . . a revised 04/05 chart! Glad to see it matches what I found.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&hg=12&fg=05
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 AM

Yes, this is the issue of the original separate P/N's for the Bosch and NGK plugs, later replaced by a single P/N (for both plugs?) without specifying Bosch or NGK, that I discussed in my OP. For the current single P/N, this time the BMW dealer gave me the Bosch FGR7DQP plug. It could be the situation that the next time this P/N will get you the NGK BKR6EQUP plug, since BMW apparently sources spark plugs from both Bosch and NGK. Although the Bosch and NGK plugs may have equivalent perforance specs (and therefore are interchangeable), they do not have the same construction, which is what I was trying to convey in my OP.

Now, if there was just some way of knowing if the $6 Bosch Platinum+4 #4417 plug is really the same as the $20 BMW/Bosch FGR7DQP plug . . . or is there really a $14 difference between the two . . .
Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Now, if there was just some way of knowing if the $6 Bosch Platinum+4 #4417 plug is really the same as the $20 BMW/Bosch FGR7DQP plug . . . or is there really a $14 difference between the two . . .
Call them and see what they say:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Pages/ContactUs.aspx
Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
The both are "exactly" the same according to Bosch.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
The both are "exactly" the same according to Bosch.
Thanks, Ron. Good to know there are some potential cost savings to get OE-equivalent parts . . . although now I probably won't have to worry about spark plugs for another 75,000 miles or so!

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that Bosch would officially acknowledge that the two spark plugs (the BMW P/N and the Bosch P/N) are exactly the same. I would have thought that BMW would include some sort of contractual limitations on this as a BMW OEM supplier. Could you share with us your "according to Bosch" information?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:26 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Frankly, I'm a little surprised that Bosch would officially acknowledge that the two spark plugs (the BMW P/N and the Bosch P/N) are exactly the same. I would have thought that BMW would include some sort of contractual limitations on this as a BMW OEM supplier. Could you share with us your "according to Bosch" information?
Call them and see if they say the same in post #13.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 E85 Z4
Did your Dealer plugs have BMW stamped on them? My original NGK's had BMW on the plugs along with the NGK part number. I used the part number and bought a set of replacement plugs from O'Reiley. It would makes sense that if they added a step to the manufacturing process, the plugs would cost more.

However, that does not make the plugs any better. Since only upper end/Performance cars would use a 4 post platinum plug, and Porsche, Corvette, Mercedes owners love their cars just as much as we do, NGK/Bosch would not piss off the rest of the auto world buy making a "Better" BMW plug and selling the rest of the world an inferior one.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDaryl View Post
Did your Dealer plugs have BMW stamped on them? My original NGK's had BMW on the plugs along with the NGK part number. I used the part number and bought a set of replacement plugs from O'Reiley. It would makes sense that if they added a step to the manufacturing process, the plugs would cost more.

However, that does not make the plugs any better. Since only upper end/Performance cars would use a 4 post platinum plug, and Porsche, Corvette, Mercedes owners love their cars just as much as we do, NGK/Bosch would not piss off the rest of the auto world buy making a "Better" BMW plug and selling the rest of the world an inferior one.
If this question is directed to me, then yes, the Bosch spark plugs from the dealer (as well as the OE NGK spark plugs that I removed) have "BMW" on the ceramic body in addition to either "BOSCH" or "NGK". The "equivalent" Bosch Platinum+4 plugs from Advance Auto Parts only had "BOSCH" on the ceramic body, and had a different part number stamped into the metal body of the plug.

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 02-05-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5 red
The impact of non OEM style plugs on performance and fuel economy has been tested by the EPA, the FTC and numerious publications. This is what I recall from studing this subject for my employer (a regulatory agency).

A vehicle that alternates the spark from tip to ground and then ground to tip in alternate firing order benefits from a dual platinum plug in terms of longer plug life (many Chrysler motors for example).

If the OEM plug is a multi-ground plug (such as the +2 or +4) than performance may suffer if you switch to a single ground style (some Toyota vehicles for example).

Changing out a single ground style OEM plug for a multi-ground plug makes no difference. This has been tested over and over again with the same result.

If you changed from a single ground plug to a multi ground plug and found a performance difference than either the old plugs were worn, defective, or the wrong plug for the application.

In my biased opinion, the Bosch multi ground plugs are a gimmick. If they actually improved either performance or fuel economy they would be the OEM fit in every vehicle out there.

Last edited by rfeirste; 02-05-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 E85 Z4
Quote:
yes, the Bosch spark plugs from the dealer (as well as the OE NGK spark plugs that I removed) have "BMW" on the ceramic body in addition to either "BOSCH" or "NGK". The "equivalent" Bosch Platinum+4 plugs from Advance Auto Parts only had "BOSCH" on the ceramic body, and had a different part number stamped into the metal body of the plug.
That is cool, I would think that would help justify the extra cost. The fact BMW is stamped on the plug and that the plug has a different part number means something. There is an added cost for that "piece of mind" that you bought the part specifically spec'd for your car. (or taking your car to the dealer instead of an indy mechanic)

Also, the next guy that changes your plugs in 100K miles (Whether that is you or the next buyer) will know that you spent the extra money to keep the car up, giving them piece of mind.

My NGK replacement plugs had the exact same part number as the BMW labeled plugs. That made the decision to buy them a lot easier since, like you, I don't want to cheap out on my car.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Drivewfo
Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 3.0si Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeirste View Post
In my biased opinion, the Bosch multi ground plugs are a gimmick. If they actually improved either performance or fuel economy they would be the OEM fit in every vehicle out there.
+1. I ran cheap off-the-shelf AC Delco plugs in my 9 second street car and saw ZERO difference in ANY of the other plugs I've tried.
2002 Alpine White 325i Steptronic (gone)