Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-25-2005, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: soon to be X#?
Servotronic Steering ?

Sup peeps,

Just wondering has anyone here install Servotronic Steering option? If so, how is it compared to the regular steering? Also is it worth it?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
The difference is that Servotronic is controlled by vehicle road speed, the standard power steering is controlled by engine speed (rpm's). Effort needed to turn the wheel increases the faster you go. I got this option (it's only $250 bucks) and am glad I did being more of a sporting driver. (The sales rep. said they didn't have any X3's on the lot with it to test drive and that I was the first person to order it there on an X3. My '90 300ZX has the same speed-controled power steering and I prefer it) It's supposed to give a better feel for the road at higher speeds. I think the Z4 comes stock with it so you might test drive one of those to see if you can detect the difference.

I give it a

Last edited by Ishniknork; 08-25-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:45 PM
jb & ab

Mein Auto: X3 jb F250/5th wheel ab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork
The difference is that Servotronic is controlled by vehicle road speed, the standard power steering is controlled by engine speed (rpm's). Effort needed to turn the wheel increases the faster you go. I got this option (it's only $250 bucks) and am glad I did being more of a sporting driver. (The sales rep. said they didn't have any X3's on the lot with it to test drive and that I was the first person to order it there on an X3. My '90 300ZX has the same speed-controled power steering and I prefer it) It's supposed to give a better feel for the road at higher speeds. I think the Z4 comes stock with it so you might test drive one of those to see if you can detect the difference.

I give it a

Let’s make everyone on here jealous by bragging about the best looking car on the road 300ZX and the best sUv on the road X3

jb drives the X3 she gets about ( sometime ) 19 mpg “lead foot”
her only complaint is that we seem to know more about the x3 than the dealer, we had to furnish the part #’s for the UGDO and the 1 way check valves for the sun roof etc.

I drive the 300ZXTT stage 3

i've read that servotronic takes away from the

ab
Old 08-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3/X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti.r32
Sup peeps,

Just wondering has anyone here install Servotronic Steering option? If so, how is it compared to the regular steering? Also is it worth it?

Thanks!
Servotronic is totally worth it. You will appreciate it giving you power at low speeds like in the parking lot but giving you tighter control at high speeds.