2016 340i - Michelin Pilot SS - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Acura TL-S
2016 340i - Michelin Pilot SS

Hi All,

Its time to change my tires at 16k miles. I am looking for all season non-run flat options, and according to the dealer, there aren't any.

Costco, tire rack, discount tire etc recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ but dealer said putting these on might void the BMW warranty.

Question to owners that had/have a staggered MPSS configuration - did you end up continuing with the MPSS? Or did you go with another NON-RUNFLAT that you're happy with performance wise that also gave you better longevity?

Love to have your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 340i xDrive
What dealership is this? How would using tires of your choice at replacement time (or at all) void a warranty?

I have the Super Sports, I think I'll change them tire next summer season. I may continue the trend of the SS's since they perform so well, and I expect them to be discounted with Michelin's new lead summer tire now available.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 328 X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshanka View Post
Hi All,

Its time to change my tires at 16k miles. I am looking for all season non-run flat options, and according to the dealer, there aren't any.

Costco, tire rack, discount tire etc recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ but dealer said putting these on might void the BMW warranty.

Question to owners that had/have a staggered MPSS configuration - did you end up continuing with the MPSS? Or did you go with another NON-RUNFLAT that you're happy with performance wise that also gave you better longevity?

changing your tires wont void your BMW warranty...that's nonsense.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer tires and Pirelli Sottozero 3 for winter tires. Very pleased with the Super Sports for summer use.
2015 BMW 328 X-drive : Dinan Stage 1: Dinan Exhaust: Dinan Springs: Dinan Supplemental Ride: Dinan Intercooler: Dinan Pedals: BMW Performance Headlight Bulbs : Bimmertech Front/Rear Cameras: Bimmertech MirrorCast : BMWCCA Member #516886 (Feel free to use my BMWCCA # for a referral).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Dealership is Performance BMW of Chapel Hill in NC.

Their logic is - if there is vibration/handling issues etc that could be potentially attributable to tires then they wouldn't be able to cover it.

I called the BMW genius number to check if I could put the non-runflat all seasons, they're referring me back to the dealership.

Main reason i am looking away from MPSS is the very low tread life (15k miles) in staggered configuration.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i xDrive
Tire/suspension advice

Looking to improve handling a bit, but of course I don't want to sacrifice ride quality.

Currently on Potenza Summer run flats that will need to be replaced next season. I was thinking of going with Dinan springs and non run flats such as Michelin PSS. The springs will probably stiffen the ride and I am hoping the traditional tires will offset some of that.

Thoughts?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: MT 244'80 V70R'07 340x'16
Their logic is that they make a killing on people coming in for new rims and/or tires. Going with different tires than the car came with absolutely does not void warranty. Also, handling will improve with non-RFTs.
Do you need all seasons, or can you go with summers all year long in NC?
I have gone two seasons on (staggered) MPSS and they are fantastic. Although tires are the last item I'll try to save a buck on (well, except for not buying them at a dealer), I'm considering the firehawk indy 500 for next summer. They get great reviews while being much cheaper. It's that or the Pilot Sport 4s.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Main reason i am looking away from MPSS is the very low tread life (15k miles) in staggered configuration.
Unless you enter your car in a drifting competition or something like that, you should get well over 15k miles of treadlife with MPSS. Probably double that.

One of Pilot Super Sport's key attributes is longer tread life than most other tires in the ultra high performance summer category. Definitely better than any of the OE runflat summer UHP offerings on F30 cars.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:51 AM
2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP

Mein Auto: 2018 440M-Sport/MPPSK/THP
Quote:

Their logic is - if there is vibration/handling issues etc that could be potentially attributable to tires then they wouldn't be able to cover it.

I called the BMW genius number to check if I could put the non-runflat all seasons, they're referring me back to the dealership.

Factory tires on the THP with 18" wheels are non-run flat MPSS.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
477 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT
Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
OK, first ... change your dealership.

That said, I bought I cannot remember how many MPSS tires while owning my E92. A lot in any case. Excellent tire, would always recommend it.

Now, if you are wary of low treadlife, just go with Pilot AS3+. I had them on my confiscated TDI and the only place they give a lot to MPSS is hot and wet. Otherwise, dry grip is the same as MPSS for driving on public roads. If you see no snow where you live, there is no reason not to get Pilot AS 3.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
I have 17+K miles on MPSS with a staggered set up and have loads of tread left. Did someone tell you your tread was low or did you look yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 09-21-2017, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Hi All,

your dealer is full of crap. get them , a great tire
Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i xdrive
LOL, I bought and imported my own set of Apex EC-7 rims and a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, had my local BMW dealer put the tires on the rims, balance them, and swap out my winter tires for these on my car!! They had no issue whatsoever, and were glad to take my money (which was rather reasonable considering the work involved), I think I was one of the first in the area with the new Michelin tires, since I couldn't find them locally. I still can't get over the difference it made in the ride, I'm sure I'll feel it when I put my winter run flats back on later this fall!!

Last edited by Arthurrs; 09-21-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F06
Quote:

This is accurate. If you develop issues with the new tires, then obviously the issue will be the tires, and you'll need to work with the tire store that you bought them from.

BTDT myself, and it was a real PITA on my F06. I suspect that these cars are designed for those horrible, heavy, runflat tires, and when you put on conventional tires, there can be issues.

However, I did it on my F30 with no issues, Michelin A/S3+. Great tires.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:18 AM
2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP

Mein Auto: 2018 440M-Sport/MPPSK/THP
Quote:
Performance is very very big on up-selling. Any non-warranty service they tell you that you need be wary & confirm for yourself that you actually need the service.

I told my SA mark my record & never offer me tires again. He did not get a 10.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
477 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT
Old 09-22-2017, 08:58 AM

All, thanks for your input. I did push and got a grudging email confirmation that runflats are the only tires that the dealership recommends (even though i told them my car didn't come with runflats from factory), although its not a requirement for warranty.

I will be going with the MP AS3+ for the slightly longer tread life.

@jparnes1: The tread on 3 tires is in the 'yellow' range, so still some life left in them. Front passenger has a bubble on the side wall (pic attached), which 2 ppl - dealer and Discount tire said needs to be changed asap, as its cracking from inside and will eventually burst.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	672033  
Old 09-24-2017, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i 6MT
They're just trying to sell you tires, guaranteed. Things like tires are EXACTLY why we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The dealership tried to tell me my tires were getting old on my 8000 mile X5 before they were able to check the mileage. They crack me up. During the life of the warranty, they only things they make money on (now) are brakes and tires. So take anything they say about those with a huge grain of salt.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:00 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Dealers are excellent for warranty work on your car .... plus the price is right.

I have found dealers to be not very good at selling tires .... limited selection, no lifetime rotate and balance like I get from my tire store ..... and pricing runs way more than a competitive tire shop.

But wait ..... look what I just noticed on our F30 after my wife went in and paid our dealer double the alternate rate for a set of Pirelli runflats (while I was out of town).

Well air is free at my tire shop but I figure I paid about $700 for 4 of these cool N2 valve stem caps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD197B49-0172-428C-8685-ADA1A030348B.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	674081  

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
Old 09-26-2017, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F30 335i M-Sport
Just recently ditched the Conti-SSR5 RFT on my F30/m-Sport/staggered to the MPSS A/S 3+. (335i sedan)

Holy Cow, big difference on the ride. I'm loving it.

Am in Texas, no roads to carve on, do mostly highway miles. Road temps typically hot and with speed limits as high as 85mph, most of my driving is in the 75+ mph range.

The Conties were loud, harsh and wore out prematurely even though I had a $200 alignment done by BMW. Had I think 18k miles on it and the fronts were bald, surprisingly the rears still had tread left. Go figure.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:46 PM

I got the AS3+ on my 340i and they are amazing. Costco had a $70 instant coupon and 1 cent installation which discount tire matched.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '13 F30 335i M-Sport
Quote:
I got the AS3+ on my 340i and they are amazing. Costco had a $70 instant coupon and 1 cent installation which discount tire matched.
I did get my tires at Discount Tire as well, kicking myself for not asking for the price-match. Am a costco member as well but didn't want to wait 5-10 days for the tires to come in.

Nice job on the cheap install.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:

Now wait 5-6 days or couple hundred miles until you scrub the surface. When done with scrubbing, re-check the pressures when tires are cold, make sure they are what BMW says on the driver's door sticker, take 1-2 psi off and let them rip. Let us know your impressions then.

Warning : do not push those tires in the sleet or snow. They ARE all-season tires, but they are magical in warm weather. They will get you home in cold and wet, but don't expect them to grip as they do now - it is not even close. It might not end well.

Enjoy!

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M Sport
Quote:

That is 100% BS. If you search tirerack there's a version of the MPSS's that will fit your car that is "bmw star" rated. This means the tires we made specifically for BMW models as an OEM option. If you get the "star rated" tire then you would have anything to worry about.

That said if you want something that is not star rated then go for it. Just make sure it has proper fit to your wheel. You will only have warranty issues if you get either a tire that does not fit within OEM spec or if you throw on some 40 tread-ware track only special.

Btw I autoX multiple times per year and have been using the same MPSS tires for 25,000+ miles. How many burnouts are you doing?

13' 335i -- ZCW ZDH ZMM ZTP ZMT ZPT 688

Last edited by ClevelandBeemer; 09-28-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive
Does anyone have experience with a tire installer (a BMW dealer or not) to refuse installing non-RFT tires unless you have some kind of Tyre mobility set or a spare tire?
Retired: 2007 550, Jet Black, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound, Sirius
Retired: 2005 545, Blck Sp, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Retired: 2002 540, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyM View Post
Does anyone have experience with a tire installer (a BMW dealer or not) to refuse installing non-RFT tires unless you have some kind of Tyre mobility set or a spare tire?
While I had a great experience with an independent tire shop replacing the OE run-flat tires on my 320i with non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires without any issues, Bimmerfest member chenghs reported that the Costco store in Foster City, California initially refused to install non run-flat tires on his F30 because the car didn't include a spare tire. Costco eventually relented and installed the non run-flat tires on chenghs' car as requested.

Here's the thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=931899
Old 12-05-2017, 01:15 PM

nope. discount tire installed it no questions asked.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search