Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 09-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Mein Auto: 2003 Audi A4 3.0
Anybody driven an RX-8? (It's relevant ..!)

Hey guys,

My RX-8 is up on its lease next year, and already I'm starting to think about what cars I'd like to get to replace it. The Miata is floating around in my mind, and a few others, but also the M3. Yes, I know it's a big price jump, but I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it, over the RX anyways.

So, I was just wondering if any of you guys here have driven the RX-8 and also own or have driven the M3, so I get an idea on how they compare. I am going to go out for a test drive probably this weekend, but I'd like an idea on any niggles you have about the M3 or RX that I can compare, etc.

Flat out, is the car a good replacement for the RX? I am not as interested in straight line speed (though it's fun!) as I am in carving tight corners. Additionally, the reason the RX will be going back is because when I'm flooring it, I get no more than 15mpg, and even on highway crusing, no more than 18mpg. The M3 (should I get it) will be a replacement for TWO cars, my Mazda3 hatchback, and my RX-8. I just want to have something fun enough to drive day to day that also won't kill me in gas. Granted the M3 is a *bit* of a gas guzzler... but nothing compared to the RX.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Parking Spot Maven

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
OBC says I'm averaging 14.9MPG (average speed: ~27MPH) in my '05 M3. So don't plan on saving much there.

As for cornering... it corners exceptionally flat but you can still feel the weight, especially compared to your RX (which I have driven but can't say I could see what all the fuss is about).

In some ways I'm missing my 330Ci. Good handling (steering feel was fantastic compared to the M), respectably powerful SMOOTH motor. Mileage isn't that important to me but the 330 was awesome in that regard. And when I did drive it at 8/10ths I wasn't going quite so fast.

Don't get me wrong... I love my M3 and don't see myself going back to a 330. The power is nice, handling is fun, and it's really nice to look at IMHO. I just wish I could get it to lose a few pounds.

--SONET
Old 09-01-2005, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M3 CONVERTIBLE
RX-8 has probably the best shifter. It's better than the M3's; so, you may want to upgrade to UUC shortshifter. Other than that, no comparison!!! Get the M3. It really is a wolf in a sheep skin.