Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-22-2002, 09:41 AM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Driving impressions (looong)

Most of you know that I bought my car just over a month ago. I spent a while trying to decide between a new 330Ci and an E36 M3, and ultimately decided on the M3. I've had it long enough to post my experiences to date, I think. Warning: this is kind of long, and towards the end it sounds dangerously sappy/religious.

I can sum up my experience so far in one word: Frustration. This car is an absolute jewel. It's quick, fast, and carves corners better than any car I've ever owned. I dream of the day when I'm capable enough to really push its limits. There are two roads that best suit this car - an open country lane with twists and undulations, and an open stretch of highway; I've yet to find EITHER one in my driving. During the week, the M3 serves as my daily transportation to work. I've chosen a route that includes a short stretch of highway and miles of wonderfully twisty roads, but I've yet to find even one instance where the path hasn't been clogged by rush hour traffic. Weekends have been packed with out-of-town visits or other events that prevent me from fully enjoying the car's performance. Every time I idle in traffic or putter along at 30 mph, I can sense that the car is at least as frustrated as I am. It quivers with energy that it can barely contain, just waiting for even 100 yards of free asphalt. It wants to sprint and roar, but it's all I can do to prevent myself from stalling as we go from exit to exit, from jam to jam. Every outing with this car has been a tease, a bare scent of raw, naked potential...covered beneath a woolly blanket of cars and SUVs blocking the path ahead.

I finally got sick of tantalizing myself one early Saturday morning and took the M3 out for a spin. After picking my way out of the neighborhood, the engine was warmed up and eager to go. I stopped at a light with nothing but pavement in front of me. The light turned green and I shot off like a rocket! I finally got to hear the engine sing at 6000 rpms for prolonged period of time, shifting nearly at redline and feeling the push from the incredibly smooth engine. No, it doesn't make a ton of horsepower or torque, but it doesn't have to. I definitely didn't feel as fast as I did in my friend's C5 but I was definitely not disappointed. In fact, the road feel and overall feeling of control, even at 100 mph, was the single most satisfying sensation I've had while driving a car. I then found some nice s-curves and took them somewhat faster than the posted speed limit. The car's lean was evident but very slight, and again I was blown away by the road feel. I swear I felt every pebble and crack on the road, and I could tell when the tires were starting to slip before anything got out of hand. The car attacked the corners with a finesse well beyond my own driving abilities. I was too focused on keeping the car on the road to pay attention to much else, but I swear I heard the engine laughing, screaming with joy as the suspension worked its magic on the corners. Every gear snicked into place, every stab of the pedal brought on a shriek of acceleration-induced pleasure from the engine, and every turn of the wheel brought a bigger smile to my face.

Once the road straightened out, I made a U-turn and coasted to a stop at the traffic light. I wasn't sweating, panting, or even out of breath, but I felt exhausted...and exhilarated. The light turned green. I eased out the clutch and took my time going home, opening the moonroof and windows to get a whiff of the sweet morning air. I came home to wash and polish the car, my first since taking it home.

So you see, every commute is frustrating. Every minute spent creeping along, watching the pedestrians travel faster than you, is an exercise in self-restraint. I want to shout, but I can only whisper...until I have another free morning.

In case you're confused, I am extremely pleased with my decision, and I love my car.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2002, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Nice write-up! And believe me, I know what that frustration is like...seems all I see on my commute is the big fat green ass of a caravan or SUV.

At commuting speeds on the highway, the ride is pretty boring. If you drove the car this way all the time, you would never guess at the potential of the car which only becomes realized when you crank the throttle and toss it thru the curves. Only then does the car really seem to wake up and say "Ok, I'm ready!".

I've found some back roads up in Maine with tight sweeping corners, switchbacks, and hills to run through that were completely empty of traffic, allowing me to hold nothing back except my own nerve. Thats when I discovered what the car could truely do. Most fun I've ever had in a car.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:20 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Re: Driving impressions (looong)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire

So you see, every commute is frustrating. Every minute spent creeping along, watching the pedestrians travel faster than you, is an exercise in self-restraint. I want to shout, but I can only whisper...until I have another free morning.

In case you're confused, I am extremely pleased with my decision, and I love my car.
Two words: Route 211. That's the road that runs up and over the mountains at the midpoint of the Skyline Drive. It's speed limit is an absurd 50 or 55 mph, when most corners can't be negotiated at more than 40. It's several miles of twists and turns up one side, and down the other; the up direction has two lanes, so you can overtake slow moving traffic.

On weekends, it's pretty busy, but you should take a day off in the middle of the week and head out there. Get off 66 ASAP and drive through horse country on the way out; the getting there becomes half the fun.

Damn. Why am I sitting here?
Old 08-22-2002, 10:32 AM
Double Bimmers

Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Re: Re: Driving impressions (looong)

Quote:
Originally posted by JST

Two words: Route 211. That's the road that runs up and over the mountains at the midpoint of the Skyline Drive. It's speed limit is an absurd 50 or 55 mph, when most corners can't be negotiated at more than 40. It's several miles of twists and turns up one side, and down the other; the up direction has two lanes, so you can overtake slow moving traffic. SNIP
Good one!!! I couple of months back I went out there and did 6 round trips over that section of road. It is truly the finest for 100s of miles around.

The 2 lanes up really makes it fun for passing when you catch up to a NASCAR loving hill-billy in a mustang. I try to pass on the inside just incase the other car runs wide; I don't want to be caught in its way. PS, I always leave the DSC on because there is no need to push it 10/10ths on the mountain.

Last edited by CD-55; 08-22-2002 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:48 PM
S-03's Rule...

Mein Auto: StBlu 330Ci 5SP SP HK
Jetfire's got a WOO-DY...

If you need open road come to Canada, there is nobody here...

Actually not true... but it is pretty easy to drive 20 mins in any direction and loose everyone.

I thought I loved my car... then I did 3 1/2 consecutive hours worth of twisty Northern Ontario roads mostly in 4th gear between 4500 rpm and redline and I was truly smitten. How the suspension handles uneven pavement at those speeds is unbelievable.

To hit a frost-heave at 90ish MPH when you are surrounded by rock walls and have complete confidence in the car's grip is amazing. The S-03's didn't hurt either.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 325
great.

posts like these just make me miss my 1999 M3 coupe even more.

i loved that car. i will still have it today if it hadn't been creamed by a bonehead pulling into traffic.

handles like a dream, doesn't it?
Old 08-22-2002, 12:58 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
I cannot see what would make me give mine up. I love my car like nothing else I've ever driven.

But I enjoy mine even in heavy stop-and-go traffic.

The one up-side of working ridiculous hours is I get to go home when the roads are almost empty. Thank god for radar detectors.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:03 PM
Car Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by TD
I cannot see what would make me give mine up. I love my car like nothing else I've ever driven.

But I enjoy mine even in heavy stop-and-go traffic.

The one up-side of working ridiculous hours is I get to go home when the roads are almost empty. Thank god for radar detectors.
My Pontiac was easier to handle in stop and go traffic. Step on the gas, step on the brake. Sit and listen to Elliot blabbing on DC101 before getting sick of him and changing the station. Step on the gas, etc. The M3 isn't that much different, even with the third pedal...but I have to exercise self-restraint from just slamming my foot down after I get off the clutch.

A few months ago, I would go for stretches at a time where I'd work until 2am or so. Driving home was much faster, as long as you had faith in the police and the local deer population. I wish I'd owned the M back then.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

(Support Vehicle)
Old 08-22-2002, 01:16 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:

My Pontiac was easier to handle in stop and go traffic. Step on the gas, step on the brake. Sit and listen to Elliot blabbing on DC101 before getting sick of him and changing the station. Step on the gas, etc. The M3 isn't that much different, even with the third pedal...but I have to exercise self-restraint from just slamming my foot down after I get off the clutch.

A few months ago, I would go for stretches at a time where I'd work until 2am or so. Driving home was much faster, as long as you had faith in the police and the local deer population. I wish I'd owned the M back then.
I guess part of the difference is that I've had long commutes AND a manual transmission more or less every day since I graduated college 9 years ago. For me, I now find it easier to do stop-and-go with a stick than with an automatic. When I've had crappy slushbox rentals, I find myself riding up on other cars BADLY in traffic.

It's all what you're used to. But, in time, I bet even your limited traffic-related negatives will go away.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:24 PM
Car Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by TD

I guess part of the difference is that I've had long commutes AND a manual transmission more or less every day since I graduated college 9 years ago....

It's all what you're used to. But, in time, I bet even your limited traffic-related negatives will go away.
Hmm, you may be right. I've only been out for three years, and I've always driven automatics. I'm still getting used to the fact that the car doesn't ever want to go forward when you release the brake, unless you happen to be going downhill. Still, I always get the feeling that the car wants to be revved, and I just don't get that chance during rush hour.

'88 M3
Cosmos Black

(Support Vehicle)
Old 08-22-2002, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
very nice write-up!

Two words... driving school. How far are you from VIR?
Old 08-22-2002, 02:42 PM
Car Junkie

I'm looking into helmets right now, and I've signed up for a track event at Summit Point 12/6. I'm also gearing up for local autocrosses.

'88 M3
Cosmos Black

(Support Vehicle)
Old 08-22-2002, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: '08 Z4
Quote:
Originally posted by TD

For me, I now find it easier to do stop-and-go with a stick than with an automatic. When I've had crappy slushbox rentals, I find myself riding up on other cars BADLY in traffic.
Sure that isn't b/c the crippy slushbox rentals have crappy slushbox rental teeny tiny brakes?

I often find myself putting brakes on in rentals with what should be plenty of time for a gentle stop only to fine out that - well, that the brakes don't come from BMW.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:20 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by rwg

Sure that isn't b/c the crippy slushbox rentals have crappy slushbox rental teeny tiny brakes?

I often find myself putting brakes on in rentals with what should be plenty of time for a gentle stop only to fine out that - well, that the brakes don't come from BMW.
Of course the brakes suck, but that's not the phenomenon I'm referring to.

When I drive a stick in heavy, stop-and-go traffic, I modulate the clutch so that I rarely have to brake. As Jetfire pointed out, with a stick, no gas eequals no forward motion. With a slushbox, even if you lift off the accelerator, there is forward pull. THIS is what keeps pulling me up onto people's bumpers as I'm just not used to having to use the brakes.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Re: Jetfire's got a WOO-DY...

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian 330Ci'01
If you need open road come to Canada, there is nobody here...

Uh, where did all of you go?

Patrick
Old 08-26-2002, 10:22 AM
BMW fanatic

Mein Auto: '01 VW GTI
I'm with you Jetfire. My commute is only 8 miles of fairly heavy traffic...
2001 VW GTI Reflex Silver, Frozen slotted rotors with Porterfield pads, Bilstien sports, H&R race springs, H&R 22mm front sway bar, H&R 5mm rear spacers, Neuspeed upper strut tie bar, Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar, Audi TT 5 spoke forged wheels with SO3s, Upsolute chip, AEM CAI, Thermal R&D Catback exhaust, Autotech Stage II Drivetrain upgrade w/lightweight clutch, Euro front and rear bumpers
Old 08-26-2002, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
stick in traffic...

I've had ONLY manual cars since I got out of college 10 years ago as well. Before my 330, I had a string of acura legends, all with stick. I feel the same as TD. With an auto, I always feel like I'm spinning helplessly out of control on the roadway. If you're good driving stick (and believe me, you get to be good at driving stick when you drive 30k a year in hellacious NJ commuter traffic) you can crawl along going 10mph or less with the car in 3rd gear. Without using the brakes. Maybe that's why my brake pads last 100k miles....or they used to anyway, before the brakedust-meister BMW.

BTW, beautiful writeup, Jetfire. I feel the same way about my car. It's almost sacrilege to drive it in heavy traffic.

-------------------------------------------------------------
How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in any individual wire
was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.
But at any rate, they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. —George Orwell, 1984

Go here and get scared
Old 08-26-2002, 07:56 PM
Car Junkie

Just writin' from the heart. Nearly every enthusiast BMW driver loves his or her car, so I know I'm not alone. I must say I'm surprised at just how much more I appreciate this car though.

BTW, I've heard more than one person refer to "modulating the clutch." Just what does this entail? Anything to reduce the jerking during rush hour.

'88 M3
Cosmos Black

(Support Vehicle)
Old 08-26-2002, 08:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Just writin' from the heart. Nearly every enthusiast BMW driver loves his or her car, so I know I'm not alone. I must say I'm surprised at just how much more I appreciate this car though.

BTW, I've heard more than one person refer to "modulating the clutch." Just what does this entail? Anything to reduce the jerking during rush hour.
Really, just controlling the degree of engagement. Takes practice, but eventually, even traffic will be quite smooth.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 08-26-2002, 08:16 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

Really, just controlling the degree of engagement. Takes practice, but eventually, even traffic will be quite smooth.
Exactly. To oversimplify it, basically you don't really bother to change how much the gas pedal is depressed (although you do slightly). Instead, you work the clutch in and out for the stop and go. No braking either.

It becomes quite natural in time.

Last edited by TD; 08-26-2002 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:33 PM
Car Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by TD

Exactly. To oversimplify it, basically you don't really bother to change how much the gas pedal is depressed (although you do slightly). Instead, you work the clutch in and out for the stop and go. No braking either.

It becomes quite natural in time.
And this doesn't wear out the clutch? Replacing brakes is cheaper, of course.

'88 M3
Cosmos Black

(Support Vehicle)
Old 08-26-2002, 08:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:

And this doesn't wear out the clutch? Replacing brakes is cheaper, of course.
Well... it might take a little bit of life off of the clutch... But the clutch lasts a pretty darned long time if you don't abuse it. The big thing that kills the clutch is really heating it up, anyhow. If you don't smeel it, you're probably not harming it.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 08-26-2002, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325Ci Titanium
well said! and I fully understand!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
M3 might be harder...

i've read the e36 M3 stick is harder to drive in heavy traffic than the 330 or 325. something about a combination of it's torque curve, gear ratios and drivetrain lash. I guess it makes sense, the e36 M3 is designed to be the more pure driving machine.

can't remember if i read that on the net, in a magazine article, or both.

-------------------------------------------------------------
How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in any individual wire
was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.
But at any rate, they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. —George Orwell, 1984

Go here and get scared
Old 08-27-2002, 06:53 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Re: M3 might be harder...

Quote:
Originally posted by debaser330ci
i've read the e36 M3 stick is harder to drive in heavy traffic than the 330 or 325. something about a combination of it's torque curve, gear ratios and drivetrain lash. I guess it makes sense, the e36 M3 is designed to be the more pure driving machine.

can't remember if i read that on the net, in a magazine article, or both.
It's commonly repeated in a variety of sources; I've seen it on the 'net and in Car and Driver, at least.

The M3 is definitely a more performance oriented vehicle than the 325 or 330. The clutch is much stiffer, throttle tip-in is more aggressive, and the low axle ratio and (relatively) large amount of low-end torque give snappy response that can lead to rubber-banding if you're not used to it.

That said, once you've driven one a while, I don't think that there's anything particularly difficult about driving an M3 in traffic. The torque is nice, because it gives you point and squirt capabilities, and the clutch actually has more feel and is easier to modulate than the binary on/off switch that they are using in the E46. I can drive the M3 much more smoothly than I ever could my 323, even after I'd owned it for two years.

Coming out of the smooth and soft GTI, the M3 is always a shock. But after a couple of minutes, it doesn't seem weird or difficult.