Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2008
All Weather Tires

I am looking for tires that will fit my 2007 with 18" wheels. What I want to find is an all-weather tire (the ones with the Mountain Snowflake symbol). I know there is the Nokian WRG, but those are above my budget. It seems hard to search for tires that have this symbol. Anyone know of other tires out there?
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Tire rack lists a few different non-winter tires with mountain symbol if you haven't checked those.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Lower-priced ones recently introduced include:

Kumho Solus HA31

and maybe one from Nexen (not sure what model name)

Up here we have a Hankook Optimo 4S which has the mountain snowflake symbol - don't know if that is marketed in the U.S.

If you think the Nokian WRG3 is expensive, check out the Yokohama W.Drive which was originally the only competition for the Nokian WR.

Going by reputable test reports, this is one of those products where you get what you pay for.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
For what it's worth, unless your tires need replacement, tirerack has dedicated snows mounted on wheels for under $700 package deal. If you're just looking for better traction, that is
Old 02-11-2016, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation All-Season Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudboy View Post
I am looking for tires that will fit my 2007 with 18" wheels. What I want to find is an all-weather tire (the ones with the Mountain Snowflake symbol). I know there is the Nokian WRG, but those are above my budget. It seems hard to search for tires that have this symbol. Anyone know of other tires out there?
As was already suggested, TireRack is a good place to start your shopping. Their tire tests are real-world with good detail about many tires of every price and performance level. I'm more skeptical of user reviews because every measuring stick is different.

And often a "cheap" tire could cost you more $$$'s in the long run. Those round rubber things are the only thing between you and the road - shop and buy wisely

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link below for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!
Mr. Rebates
Old 02-11-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Lower-priced ones recently introduced include:

Kumho Solus HA31

and maybe one from Nexen (not sure what model name)

Up here we have a Hankook Optimo 4S which has the mountain snowflake symbol - don't know if that is marketed in the U.S.

If you think the Nokian WRG3 is expensive, check out the Yokohama W.Drive which was originally the only competition for the Nokian WR.

Going by reputable test reports, this is one of those products where you get what you pay for.

Unfortunately neither come in 235 sizes.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0 E83 M54
+1 for TireRack. I got some all-weathers (Continental ExtremeContact DWS) for Spring, Summer and Fall. I now realize that I might not have needed true winter tires with our mild climate in Southern Oregon, but expecting snow and torrential rain, I ordered a set of bargain wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks mounted and balanced (they're on the rig now). At least we got the torrential rain. Extra wheels make them easy to change out. TireRack provides new lug nuts and the balancing is impeccable. The arrival time will shock you. When ordering the wheels they had a really cool feature, where they would show you an image of the wheels on your vehicle model. You could even pick your paint color. That little touch of eCommerce showmanship might be gone now. I couldn't see the option during a recent purchase. It was a great way to sell the extravagant idea of a set of winter tires and wheels to the wife. She thinks it's "HER" car.

My only complaint is that the Conti ExtremeContacts were discontinued shortly after I bought the set. I'm hoping I never have to replace just one. I have the 17" wheels so your options will be different. TireRack ain't cheap, but these X3's can be picky about how they're shod. Regardless, I was happy enough with TireRacks methods, I recently got another set of wheels and tires for a semi-beater '95 S-10 Blazer from them. Perfect execution on the deal, shiny new lug nuts and they arrived within a day or two.

BTW – no, I'm not a paid spokesman.

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton
Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
The "view on vehicle" feature still functions. I just ordered General Artic Altimaxxx snows on black steelies, with new TPMS, a few weeks ago. Haven't gotten any snow yet... but it'll come, maybe... at least the Scorpions will get extra life.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWes View Post

My only complaint is that the Conti ExtremeContacts were discontinued shortly after I bought the set.
I'm a firm believer in this tire (the DWS model). I've bought two sets for a honda fit, and one set for a lexus is250 awd. Recently, when i went to replace the MXV4s on my x3, i too was disappointed to hear they were discontinued. But, they were replaced with the DWS Extreme 06. I tried it.

This tire is incredible. I've owed sets of snows before. I live in a town that doesn't use deicer...only cinders, and we get 100"+ of snow a year. With this tire, you don't need a snow tire. It's 99% of the snow tire. 30" toboggan run in my neighborhood, no problem starting OR stopping. Only time will tell if it's still this good next year, but I would buy this tire again in a heartbeat at this point.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 PM

Conti DWS - Their cool gimmick

I researched these Conti DWS thoroughly prior to buying them. They had great Dry, Wet and Snow traction numbers. I especially like the “D,W&S” embedded in the tread. The letters are cast in different depths. When the “S” wears away, they are still good Wet and Dry tires (Snow….not so much). When the “W” wears away, they are still good dry pavement tires. I suppose when the “D” becomes invisible, it’s time to replace them. It’s almost idiot-proof (nothing can be truly “idiot-proof”, because idiots can show so much ingenuity).

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton
Old 02-12-2016, 06:22 AM

That's good to know. Those don't have the the Mountain/Snow flake symbol, so they do not come up under a search for all weather tires. I have been using Tire Rack for a long time, although I have had enough experiences with them to know their search function doesn't always turn up all the tires that fit, and that there are several brands and specific tires which they dont carry at all, and was hoping to expand my search a little in hopes of finding something else.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:38 AM

That Conti DWS model which Smaglik mentioned above appears to be available for your Sport Package (18" wheels). Look at the Performance ratings. All either excellent or good. The tread looks much like the original DWS and they have continued with that cool letter "disappearing act" gimmick. The price is right in the middle of the pack and hopefully not a budget-breaker at $164.86 per tire?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....port%20Package

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search