Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 09-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Will dealer trade a used car with another nonBMW dealer?

Just wanted to know if my local dealer will assist me in locating a used car with options that I want with an out of state non-bmw dealer (about 175miles away). The sticky thing is that I want to trade in a car and I'm afraid that would complicate things.

For example, I don't want to drive all the way down and then find out that trade value is too low. I also think there is room to move on the asking price too. How helpful will local dealer (since they're not making money on a car on their lot) be or should I just drive down there myself?

Last edited by iove75; 09-09-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2005, 07:31 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW AH 3 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by iove75
Just wanted to know if my local dealer will assist me in locating a used car with options that I want with an out of state non-bmw dealer (about 175miles away). The sticky thing is that I want to trade in a car and I'm afraid that would complicate things.

For example, I don't want to drive all the way down and then find out that trade value is too low. I also think there is room to move on the asking price too. How helpful will local dealer (since they're not making money on a car on their lot) be or should I just drive down there myself?
Unless it's a financially worthwhile for the dealer, they're likely not going to do it. The non-dealer will prefer to retail it, rather than wholesale it. It's just too complicated. I mean you can ask and try, but I wouldn't put all my hopes in it.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:02 PM

Thanks! That's what I needed to know...
Old 09-10-2005, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: an old Camaro
In some cases we have been able to sell pre-owned on a locate basis from the other BMW retailers. It is easier if the unit is a CPO unit - we know that the car will not need much recon if any when we get it, and it is a two way street - they can source cars from us.

Ultimately, it depends on what relationship we have with that particular retailer.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:12 AM

Neilll, are you a bmw dealer? I was going to ask a bmw dealer to get a car from a non-bmw for less than what the non-bmw dealer was asking for. Cars have high miles...20K+ in one year but still wants a fortune. I know what the lowest he will sell it to me for, but it was sitting on the lot for a while and I suspect he may have been softened at months end.

Will the dealer negotiate for me and what is her margin to make this worthwhile. My bmw dealer says she always covers shipping but need to know what is her margin so she and the dealer can make money and we all be happy.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: an old Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by iove75
Neilll, are you a bmw dealer? I was going to ask a bmw dealer to get a car from a non-bmw for less than what the non-bmw dealer was asking for. Cars have high miles...20K+ in one year but still wants a fortune. I know what the lowest he will sell it to me for, but it was sitting on the lot for a while and I suspect he may have been softened at months end.

Will the dealer negotiate for me and what is her margin to make this worthwhile. My bmw dealer says she always covers shipping but need to know what is her margin so she and the dealer can make money and we all be happy.
Not a dealer myself, but work at a BMW retailer. Someday maybe?

In the situation you are describing, if the car has been on the lot for a while, the current owner may be looking at a loss situation, depending on what they invested in it to begin with, what they have spent on reconditioning, etc.

Your BMW retailer would have to negotiate a wholesale purchase price for themselves, inspect the car mechanically, and make a profit (how much they would want is up to each individual manager/retailer - depends on how good your relationship is with them.....). It never hurts to try, but given the info presented, it sounds like it could cost you more.....

Remember that pre-owned vehicles are like public transit. Sooner or later, another bus will come by.........

Good luck
Old 09-12-2005, 03:24 PM

Thanks! Truth be told I'd pay more for the CPO warranty. I know how expensive it would be to repair but don't know how reliable the e60s are. Thats the reason why I want to go through BMW dealer.