Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 94 530i sedan
Help Me

I am the proud owner of a "94" BMW 530i Sedan. About a month ago my car started to buck...right around 3,000 rpm's. I have a really good independent BMW mechanic I bring my car to for routine maintance. As the problem worsened I brought my Car to John Doe. He hooked up his computer and got a faulty code for an 02 censor...cool I says...just replace it. He did, but the problem was still there...$250 down the drain, but hey it happens...although it did run a little better. On one of the BMW forums I noticed someone having the same problem and was told to unhook the mass air censor...so I did and the car ran fine right away...was harder to start but ran great once started.

About 2 weeks later the I am on the highway and the car starts to run like crap again and eventually dies right on the highway. Won't start at all...I was about a $ 200 dollar tow away from my bmw mechanic...so I just had it towed to a local guy praying he would find the problem..(he said he has worked on bmw's before) so I figured what the hey...

Two weeks later my car is still in his bay...with a ? over the mechanic's head...so far he replaced the crankshaft positioning censor and that's it...I just don't know what to do...I could hope he finds the problem or just have it towed to my bmw guy. He did say it started with a shoot of ether fuel which tells me it might be a fuel problem...Someone said it might be a clogged fuel line...but the car would at least start...

If anyone can help I would apprciate it very much

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2005, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i Wagon
Just a guess.... Maybe the DME or the Transmission EEPROM need reprogramming. Did you do a STOMP test? If so, what were the codes. And bad fuel pumps have also caused problems like you described.

Note: You can buy a perfomance chip off EBAY for cheap, but I think you have to go to the Deeler to reprogram the Transmission EEPROM.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd
Just a guess.... Maybe the DME or the Transmission EEPROM need reprogramming. Did you do a STOMP test? If so, what were the codes. And bad fuel pumps have also caused problems like you described.

Note: You can buy a perfomance chip off EBAY for cheap, but I think you have to go to the Deeler to reprogram the Transmission EEPROM.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info...thats the thing though...there are no fault codes coming up other than the O2 Censor which was replaced...I didn't even have any dash board light come on...weird
Old 09-20-2005, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 525i SE
Cat?

Have you had the cat checked, frien of mines did something similar and the cat had failed completely?
Just an idea, hope you get sorted
Old 09-20-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcitesu
Have you had the cat checked, frien of mines did something similar and the cat had failed completely?
Just an idea, hope you get sorted
My mechanic just called me and said he replaced the fuel pump and the car is running....so I guess that is what it was...thanks for the help everyone.