Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-28-2005, 07:55 PM
It's arrived!

Mein Auto: X3
X3 - Voice Command

What a pleasant surprise! No one told me when I picked it up and no documentation came with the car but I have voice command with my bluetooth on the X3. It seems that X3s with bluetooth produced after March 2005 all come with voice command. This is especially good for me because since I use a Blackberry, my phone book on the Blackberry doesn't move over.

Now it doesn't pick up my commands as well as my wife's voice commands in her MDX but hopefully I'll get better. It actually dials a spoken number well; the problem I'm having is getting it to save names and recognizing them when saved.
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325ci
Voice command?

is this just for the phone, or is it also for functions in your car?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:11 PM
It's arrived!

in the car - i say dial and the number and it dials on my phone, mutes the sound system and then I talk handsfree.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by saloveku
What a pleasant surprise! It actually dials a spoken number well; the problem I'm having is getting it to save names and recognizing them when saved.
Try the "help phone" command. It should give you a listing on the internal phone book and how to save and lookup numbers.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
How did you get it to work?

I got my X3 a few weeks ago. We ordered it, and it was built in late July. While I can synch up my Motorola V710 with the car's bluetooth system, I have been unable to use the phone's voice dial function at all. It really makes the whole thing just as dangerous as not having hands-free, as I have to scroll through my contacts on the radio's tuner display. The info in the owner's manual and online is terrible. Any help would be great.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecx3
I got my X3 a few weeks ago. We ordered it, and it was built in late July. While I can synch up my Motorola V710 with the car's bluetooth system, I have been unable to use the phone's voice dial function at all. It really makes the whole thing just as dangerous as not having hands-free, as I have to scroll through my contacts on the radio's tuner display. The info in the owner's manual and online is terrible. Any help would be great.
To access the voice commands:
  1. Press and hold (for about 3-seconds, maybe 5 seconds) the button on the steering wheel at the bottom left with the face on it.
  2. If you hear a beep, you have voice commands - speak "HELP" and the voice-in-the-car will tell you a list of commands it understands. The dude in the car is pretty dumb, so be kind to 'im.
Here is a voice command users guide. I do not remember where I found it - it was either attached to a post on this board or perhaps I got it over at X3World. Anyway, it seems to be accurate. The guy they have in my car seems to be dumber than the one the manual is written for - he does not understand as many commands - I guess they didn't send him to school long enough! Also, I do not have Nav, so didn't expect him to respond to those commands.

But at least he can dial numbers and recognize names in the car's phone book. N.B. The voice command phonebook is different than the phonebook loaded from a paired bluetooth phone. The Man-in-the-Car only can dial numbers from the voice command phonebook.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW-03_00-Voice-Control-en.pdf (122.5 KB, 2018 views)

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 09-29-2005, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Thanks Liverman

Liverman,

Thanks for the info. I'll try it when I get home.

Pete
Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Sorry but there are no voice commands for navigation or notepad on my 05 X3 with nav
Old 09-29-2005, 07:53 PM
It's arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskel
Sorry but there are no voice commands for navigation or notepad on my 05 X3 with nav
When was it built?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 PM

Built June 05 picked up in Munich July 05...hit the phone button say navigation, route map, navigation help, nothing..unless the car has to be started I didn't try that but still the phone functions and the nav worked without being started
Old 09-30-2005, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskel
Built June 05 picked up in Munich July 05...hit the phone button say navigation, route map, navigation help, nothing..unless the car has to be started I didn't try that but still the phone functions and the nav worked without being started
Do you have BMW Assist?
If you do, I beleive that you shoud have voice also, if you don't you may need to order the voice module.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Boxter, ML 320
No NAV Voice command

I have the same thing. The Phone voice command seems to work, but it does not respond to any of the Nav or Note commands. I have tried this while driving with the Nav working. My X3 was also built in June 2005 and I picked it up in Munich in July.
Other than that the car is fun.
One more question. To get the key to adjust my seats do I really have to take it to the dealer or can I do that myself?
Thanks
Ron
Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harplayr
Do you have BMW Assist?
If you do, I beleive that you shoud have voice also, if you don't you may need to order the voice module.
I have everything...if you have bluetooth since that's what we're talking about here, wouldn't that mean I had assist
Old 09-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Let me start with a disclaimer. I do not know what voice features you are supposed to have, I can just tell you based on experience with my X3 (May '05 build) what I have and how I activate it.

In my vehicle has option SA 639 (BMW Assist). It does not have SA 609 (Navigation).

The voice commands that work for me are those related to the Telephone (see p. 19 of the Owner's Manual for Voice Control manual that I attached to a previous post in this thread for list of those). The voice commands related to the Notebook and Navigation do not work for me. For the commands that do work for me, the manual is accurate (disclaimer - I have not checked it word for word, but within reason, the manual is accurate for the commands that work in my X3).

Assuming you have Option SA 639 on your X3, here is a simple test to see if you have the voice commands activated. With the key on, press the Telephone/Voice Command button. It is located at the bottom left of your steering wheel. It is described on p. 13 of the 2005 X3 Owner's Manual. If it ain't there, you don't have the right steering wheel. Press and hold the button for about 3-5 seconds. You should hear a beep. If you do not hear a beep, then the voice command module is either not installed or not activated. From what I gather from reading here the voice command module should be part of the SA639 option and enabled for US X3's from March 2005 production onwards. My understanding it that is should be delivered to you activated.

It looks like, from the experience of ronX3 and lilskel, that even if you have SA609 (Nav), you still don't get the voice commands for Navigation and Notebook.

Hmmm..it would be interesting if one of you, on your next trip into your friendly "SAV Center", could inquire about that. Maybe it is a setup thing they can do with their computer gizmo.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronx3
One more question. To get the key to adjust my seats do I really have to take it to the dealer or can I do that myself?
Thanks
Ron
The dealer has to do it. The key memory is not the same thing as the button memory for the seats. When you use Key "A" to unlock the car, it will move the seats & mirrors to the position they were in when Key "A" locked the car the last time. You cannot "tie" a key to one of the seat button memory settings, i.e., Key "A" always gives seat memory "1".

Old 10-03-2005, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Boxter, ML 320
Voice activation

Thanks for the reply looks like I will be visiting my friendly dealer. It's OK they have free coffee and Bagels in the morning.

Regards
Ron
Old 10-03-2005, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman
The dealer has to do it. The key memory is not the same thing as the button memory for the seats. When you use Key "A" to unlock the car, it will move the seats & mirrors to the position they were in when Key "A" locked the car the last time. You cannot "tie" a key to one of the seat button memory settings, i.e., Key "A" always gives seat memory "1".
You can program the key yourself without the dealer having to do it for you. Follow the instructions at this link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=seat
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 10-04-2005, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday
You can program the key yourself without the dealer having to do it for you. Follow the instructions at this link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=seat
Good point. You can program the key yourself as described in the thread you referenced - after the key functiuon has been enabled (or activated) by the dealer.

For example, the ability for the seats to be re-positioned by using the remote key unlock was disabled on my 2005 X3 as it was delivered to me. The U.S. standard is to deliver the X3 with this function de-activated.

I assumed that ronx3's car did not have this activated. I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi Tech GI Jane

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
So, after reading this thread, I took my 2005 X3 (delivered Jan 05, built in Dec 04) to the dealership last month to check look into inop voice command while it was in for some other stuff. When I picked it up, they said that it was only supposed to work with the BT phone, and not anything else. About a week later, they called and said that it should work with my NAV, etc., and to bring it back in so that they could get it working. Well, today they called me after having in the shop for 8 days and told me that they ordered a part, installed it and got it working, but it would cost me $900. Long story short, the part is not in there, I don't have voice command, and I will be going to another local BMW dealership for my future needs. Too bad for them, this is my 4th BMW and 3rd from that dealership.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:28 PM
XDriver

Send a message via AIM to flahertb
Mein Auto: 325xi & X3 & Z4
OK so I have been reading through this thread and I'm still a bit confused. I have an 05 X3 with BMW assist. Not sure of the mfg date, but we ordered the car and it arrived in July. I have a BT phone that works fine with the voice commands. If I give it the help command I only get the phone commands. There is no option for Notes or the Navigation (I don't have the Nav so that doesn't really matter). Should the other menu options be there? I can see where the notepad would be useful.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flahertb
OK so I have been reading through this thread and I'm still a bit confused. I have an 05 X3 with BMW assist. Not sure of the mfg date, but we ordered the car and it arrived in July. I have a BT phone that works fine with the voice commands. If I give it the help command I only get the phone commands. There is no option for Notes or the Navigation (I don't have the Nav so that doesn't really matter). Should the other menu options be there? I can see where the notepad would be useful.
You have the same features (or lack thereof) that I have. The X3 has voice commands for the phone, but nothing else.

Enjoy your new X3!

Old 11-05-2005, 09:50 AM
XDriver

Send a message via AIM to flahertb
Mein Auto: 325xi & X3 & Z4
Bummer - notepad would have been nice to have, but the voice command for the phone is great for convience and safety.

thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Syncing to my Droid's Bluetooth to Voice Command?

I know this is an old thread but still valid.

I've looked at all the threads here, and I'm also asking on Forums with Android. My 2005 X3 has built in Bluetooth voice command and when I scan for devices, my Dinc actually finds the BMW bluetooth, and asks for a PIN. It suggests either 0000 or 1234, but neither of those work, then it goes away, and is no longer able to find the device after scanning again.

I've also noticed the R/T button on the steering wheel makes the radio flash "Activate Phone"... I feel I'm so close, but not quite getting the two devices (car and phone) to sync.

I've downloaded a Voice Command manual, but while it gives great detail on the commands, it says nothing about syncing the two devices.

Just checking here to see if there was some universal fix that I might be missing for scanning and syncing all Bluetooths in general.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Spineguy

Mein Auto: 2006 x3
pin number

Have you tried inputting the pin number located on the bluetooth module itself? I bought my '06 used, and the pin number given to me was wrong, and I couldn't pair my phone until I went to the bluetooth module itself and found the correct number.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgtech72@yaho View Post
Have you tried inputting the pin number located on the bluetooth module itself? I bought my '06 used, and the pin number given to me was wrong, and I couldn't pair my phone until I went to the bluetooth module itself and found the correct number.
Sorry, I'm not clear about which 'module' you are referring to. When I 'scan devices' on my android, it recognizes the BMW with a 'BMW-XXXXX' (4 or 5 numbers). Are you saying I should try the numbers after the BMW module it recognizes?
thanks!