Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Legal Bill Legal Bill is offline
Recent buyer
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 55
Mein Auto: BMW 330i, Honda S2000
Sirrius for E-90

My car is pre-wired, but I didn't buy the $500 sirrius radio from the dealer. I have seen them advertised for a lot less. Has anyone had Sirrius installed aftermarket? Is there anything I should know about functionality or other complications with an aftermarket install?

Thanks.

Bill
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-29-2005, 01:25 PM
tl_boy tl_boy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: HOUSTON
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 126
Mein Auto: ACURA
good question. i don't have knowledge on this subject, but i think the radioshack flyer i saw said you can get a receiver for $49 bucks?? my dealer quoted me around 600!.

good thing i didn't take 'em up on it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Sticman Sticman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 328Xdrive-Budget Rental
You might not get RDS (song name display) on the Nav screen if you go with a non BMW aftermarket model. Some people have said here that that is a really nice feature.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2005, 05:40 AM
mapezzul's Avatar
mapezzul mapezzul is offline
Special Agent
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,683
Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill
My car is pre-wired, but I didn't buy the $500 sirrius radio from the dealer. I have seen them advertised for a lot less. Has anyone had Sirrius installed aftermarket? Is there anything I should know about functionality or other complications with an aftermarket install?

Thanks.

Bill
Bill there is a lot of info on this site about this! Try searching around.
In nut shell- the only integrated option is the BMW receiver, it is the only way for the stuff to work through the factory radio the car is very proprietary in nature and it is very doubtful there will be anything without a clumbsy extra screen and remote lieing around.The cheaper ones at radio shack, best buy etc. Use FM transmission through the radio and a seperate interface that is not integrated. You can find the BMW one cheaper at Circle BMW and Pacific BMW then have it installed by the dealer. The fiber bus needs to be messed with to complete the install and the car neeeds to be recoded. Other options are cheaper but can not be integrated into the car. Good luck!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=sirius+radio
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=sirius+radio
__________________
2008 ///M3 Sedan. Jerez Black, Black Novillo/Sycamore, ZTP, ZPP, ZCW, iPod, Enhanced Premium Sound, 6 spd.
2008 328Xi ED 9/25/08 (Hers) White, Beige, ZCW, Xenon, Step.
2007 530XIT ED 3/22/07. Mystic Blue, Auburn, 6 spd Manual, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, Nav, PDC.
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired


Last edited by mapezzul; 09-30-2005 at 05:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2005, 06:27 AM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,992
Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
Bill there is a lot of info on this site about this! Try searching around.
In nut shell- the only integrated option is the BMW receiver, it is the only way for the stuff to work through the factory radio the car is very proprietary in nature ..............
Unfortunately in the E90 BMW plugged the hole that we had in E46. In the E46 you can install an XM radio module that will give you 99.9% integration by emulating the Sirius factory module.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2005, 01:23 PM
mrnewit mrnewit is offline
Registered User
Location: Chardon, OH
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
[QUOTE=mapezzul]The fiber bus needs to be messed with to complete the install and the car neeeds to be recoded.

Anyone know what exactly this recoding entails? Can't find a good answer to that on this site or through the almighty google. Looking at the instillation it doesn't appear to be that arduous. My dealer wants $250 to perform it on top of the $520 in parts.
__________________
----------------
2006 325i
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:24 PM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,992
Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
[QUOTE=mrnewit]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
The fiber bus needs to be messed with to complete the install and the car neeeds to be recoded.

Anyone know what exactly this recoding entails? Can't find a good answer to that on this site or through the almighty google. Looking at the instillation it doesn't appear to be that arduous. My dealer wants $250 to perform it on top of the $520 in parts.
A non OEM Sirius module will not speak the proprietary BMW communications protocol.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:31 PM
mrnewit mrnewit is offline
Registered User
Location: Chardon, OH
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
A non OEM Sirius module will not speak the proprietary BMW communications protocol.
I understand that. What I'm trying to understand is the "coding" required for OEM sirius models. If you look at Circle BMW's site:

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/sirius/sirius.htm (click on E90 3 series in the left frame - why oh why do people use frames?)

...you will see that the third step is that the "Vehicle must be coded to complete the installation" which I have read a bunch of places on this site. I was just wondering what exactly they are doing in this "coding". Is this something that requires specialized equipment?
__________________
----------------
2006 325i
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:40 PM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,992
Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnewit
I understand that. What I'm trying to understand is the "coding" required for OEM sirius models. If you look at Circle BMW's site:

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/sirius/sirius.htm (click on E90 3 series in the left frame - why oh why do people use frames?)

...you will see that the third step is that the "Vehicle must be coded to complete the installation" which I have read a bunch of places on this site. I was just wondering what exactly they are doing in this "coding". Is this something that requires specialized equipment?
Coding means updating the car's software to accept a new piece of hardware (OEM Sirius radio). The coding has to be done by a BMW dealer using BMW proprietary computer. Sirius is not available outside of the US so the original software would not support the Sirius module.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:44 PM
mrnewit mrnewit is offline
Registered User
Location: Chardon, OH
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Coding means updating the car's software to accept a new piece of hardware (OEM Sirius radio). The coding has to be done by a BMW dealer using BMW proprietary computer. Sirius is not available outside of the US so the original software would not support the Sirius module.
'tis what I feared. I guess we're not to the point of plug and play accessories on the automobile front, eh?
__________________
----------------
2006 325i
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:58 PM
mapezzul's Avatar
mapezzul mapezzul is offline
Special Agent
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,683
Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnewit
'tis what I feared. I guess we're not to the point of plug and play accessories on the automobile front, eh?
Nope.. here is the "DIY". No way I would do it, especially dealing with fiber optics!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SiriusRadioInstall.pdf (235.7 KB, 141 views)
__________________
2008 ///M3 Sedan. Jerez Black, Black Novillo/Sycamore, ZTP, ZPP, ZCW, iPod, Enhanced Premium Sound, 6 spd.
2008 328Xi ED 9/25/08 (Hers) White, Beige, ZCW, Xenon, Step.
2007 530XIT ED 3/22/07. Mystic Blue, Auburn, 6 spd Manual, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, Nav, PDC.
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-30-2005, 04:17 PM
mrnewit mrnewit is offline
Registered User
Location: Chardon, OH
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
Nope.. here is the "DIY". No way I would do it, especially dealing with fiber optics!
Oh, thank you for that pdf. Actually fibre doesn't scare me that much. It's can be fairly forgiving.

I just had the guy at the dealer tell me that it takes 2-1/2 hours of shop time to perfom this task, hence his price. I thought I read somewhere the 1 hour line but I couldn't be 100% sure when talking to him. Now maybe I'll have something to talk about.

Okay, slight rant coming (hide the children and livestock)

Not that I'm trying to be too difficult but when I purchased the car I asked the salesman about the sirius receiver. See, I already had an Audiovox receiver and wondered if it would work in this car through the sirius optional prewiring. I didn't think so but, hey, there are so many things on this car that blow my mind why not ask? He assured me it would. Well, I read through my manual and nothing. So I read up on the 'net and found out about the OEM receiver. Annoying but not the end of the world. Then the guy in the shop inflates the hours. I know, I know, buyer beware but I would really like to not have to double check everything that I hear from these guys. It's tiring.

deepbreaths...
__________________
----------------
2006 325i
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-30-2005, 05:40 PM
mapezzul's Avatar
mapezzul mapezzul is offline
Special Agent
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,683
Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnewit
Oh, thank you for that pdf. Actually fibre doesn't scare me that much. It's can be fairly forgiving.

I just had the guy at the dealer tell me that it takes 2-1/2 hours of shop time to perfom this task, hence his price. I thought I read somewhere the 1 hour line but I couldn't be 100% sure when talking to him. Now maybe I'll have something to talk about.

Okay, slight rant coming (hide the children and livestock)

Not that I'm trying to be too difficult but when I purchased the car I asked the salesman about the sirius receiver. See, I already had an Audiovox receiver and wondered if it would work in this car through the sirius optional prewiring. I didn't think so but, hey, there are so many things on this car that blow my mind why not ask? He assured me it would. Well, I read through my manual and nothing. So I read up on the 'net and found out about the OEM receiver. Annoying but not the end of the world. Then the guy in the shop inflates the hours. I know, I know, buyer beware but I would really like to not have to double check everything that I hear from these guys. It's tiring.

deepbreaths...
You are correct about the 1 hour, also you could probably have the reprogram waived if you brought it in for another issue such as auto door locks/ DRL.... yeah it sucks they try to skrew you that is why I try to be 2 steps ahead, I know a lot of people in cars and have worked in every aspect of them throughout my life ( to pay my way to where I am now). Best of Luck and sorry if the PDF quality sucks but his site has upload limits and I had to lessen the quality.
__________________
2008 ///M3 Sedan. Jerez Black, Black Novillo/Sycamore, ZTP, ZPP, ZCW, iPod, Enhanced Premium Sound, 6 spd.
2008 328Xi ED 9/25/08 (Hers) White, Beige, ZCW, Xenon, Step.
2007 530XIT ED 3/22/07. Mystic Blue, Auburn, 6 spd Manual, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, Nav, PDC.
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-30-2005, 05:51 PM
JSpira's Avatar
JSpira JSpira is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: New York, München, Wien
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 19,487
Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Coding means updating the car's software to accept a new piece of hardware (OEM Sirius radio). The coding has to be done by a BMW dealer using BMW proprietary computer. Sirius is not available outside of the US so the original software would not support the Sirius module.
Actually coding is a little different than updating. Coding means changing a bit of information such as Bluetooth (*) yes ( )no to Bluetooth () yes (*)no.

Updating implies installing new sw or an update.
__________________
Freude am Fahren.
-Jonathan





F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Legal Bill Legal Bill is offline
Recent buyer
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 55
Mein Auto: BMW 330i, Honda S2000
So it seems one must buy the BMW unit, and then even if we do our own install, the dealer has to re-code it. Hmmmm. There must be some bright young people working on this, but as someone said above, I'm sure BMW would blame any problems on the unauthorized install.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-01-2005, 06:20 AM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,992
Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill
So it seems one must buy the BMW unit, and then even if we do our own install, the dealer has to re-code it. Hmmmm. There must be some bright young people working on this, but as someone said above, I'm sure BMW would blame any problems on the unauthorized install.
I would not hold my breath. Blitzsafe and Soundgate were able to create adapters for Alpine CD changers and XM radios to work with the E46 I-Bus though they were never ever able to make them work in E46 cars with NAV, though they worked on it for years. Now with MOST it appears that BMW has made it next to impossible to get into the system.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Explorer3253 Explorer3253 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockland County. NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 06 325xi
I'm picking up my e90 tomorrow and I asked the salesman if he can have them code it while being prepped. If it thats the case then its simply plug and play for me..correct???
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-22-2005, 09:54 AM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,992
Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer3253
I'm picking up my e90 tomorrow and I asked the salesman if he can have them code it while being prepped. If it thats the case then its simply plug and play for me..correct???
I do not think it can be pre-coded, the unit needs to be in place to get the system to recongnize it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-22-2005, 09:55 AM
JSpira's Avatar
JSpira JSpira is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: New York, München, Wien
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 19,487
Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer3253
I'm picking up my e90 tomorrow and I asked the salesman if he can have them code it while being prepped. If it thats the case then its simply plug and play for me..correct???
You mean install and then code, no?
__________________
Freude am Fahren.
-Jonathan





F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-22-2005, 09:58 AM
JSpira's Avatar
JSpira JSpira is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: New York, München, Wien
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 19,487
Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
I do not think it can be pre-coded, the unit needs to be in place to get the system to recongnize it.
Pre-code, as in code before installation. Nein. Not possible and no dealer would do that even if it were theoretically possible.
__________________
Freude am Fahren.
-Jonathan





F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peake Scan Code 90 Rob91 Do-It-Yourself H.Q. 5 12-16-2008 03:51 AM
Started hanging out on the E 90 board Moto Trex X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) 4 02-16-2005 11:38 AM
Sirrius & Ipod Retrofit... eubanksae X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) 7 01-07-2005 10:32 AM
X/M or Sirrius pics petah50 Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech 8 09-28-2004 05:32 PM
new paint on '04 hood - 90 days til Zaino hockeynut The Detail Department 11 09-17-2003 11:54 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms