Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 325
Power Windows and Fuse/Relay locations

Hello and Good Day:

I have a 1986 bmw 325 4 door. My right side passenger windows do not seem to work. I checked the switches by replacing them with the ones on the left side drivers switch to no uavail. I was wondering if there was another arear in the car where there are relays for the power windows. i checked the fuse box and it has one fuse related to power windows which is fuse 17. I really dont think its the motors i think it maybe a relay but since the car has no manuals i dont know what other fuses are there. I looked at this site for a diagram of the fuse box but i dont understand the bottom half where it says power window ciruit breaker 25a because i dont know where they are and if there is one for the right and one for the left. Pleas help me as I have purchased books and nothing on where these relays or breakers are..........
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2005, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325CiC/88 325i
Let me know if you figure it out. All my windows except for the driver's side stopped working at the same time. I can here the switches try and activate the motors but the windows don't come down.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 bmw
Please let me know if you can send me a copy of relay diagram for 1986 bmw 325, if you have one , I would really appreciate it.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325CiC/88 325i
I was having the same problem and was going down the road the other day and hit a huge pothole. I pulled over and went to roll down my drivers side window and hit the wrong button and one of my windows began to work. Strange I know. I haven't had time to pull it out and break everything down, maybe next week. If i can figure anything out i will post it. The window hadn't been used for awhile since it was broken and it doesn't slide to well but the motor does work now.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325i Sport 89
I'm having the same problem with my drivers electric window, the passengers works no problem but when I press the down button, I can just hear an attempt to lower the window and the light in the button dims but the window doesn't go down.

Let us know if you fixed it?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Smile window fix for e30 series

I too was having this issue with both windows, driver and passenger side windows would go down but would not come back up except when they wanted to, I found a tip on another BMW web site that fixed my problem. Remove one of the switches (mine were in the middle console) making sure you pry them up carefully. ( I did this by gently prying the edges up with an exacto knife, when I got them up to where I could get a screwdriver blade under the edge, I used the exacto knife as a fulcrum and pried them up. Once you get the switche out, you will see several metal contacts, these need to be cleaned with either a contact cleaner or by scraping them to get them bright and shiny again. Once you have them cleaned, re-install the switch, I think you will be as happy as I was that my car now has working electric windows again, good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 PM
BMW ADDICT

Send a message via Yahoo to delphini
Mein Auto: 87 cabbie AND 90 sedan
window switches......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzie
I too was having this issue with both windows, driver and passenger side windows would go down but would not come back up except when they wanted to, I found a tip on another BMW web site that fixed my problem. Remove one of the switches (mine were in the middle console) making sure you pry them up carefully. ( I did this by gently prying the edges up with an exacto knife, when I got them up to where I could get a screwdriver blade under the edge, I used the exacto knife as a fulcrum and pried them up. Once you get the switche out, you will see several metal contacts, these need to be cleaned with either a contact cleaner or by scraping them to get them bright and shiny again. Once you have them cleaned, re-install the switch, I think you will be as happy as I was that my car now has working electric windows again, good luck.
ok i too have taken the switches out r&r'ed them with great results but if one was good with a soldering iron they coould also put a dab of solder on the contacts (if they're pitted)to bring up the contacts some . i was tempted to do this ,but i tested them after cleaning and they worked properly .
Old 11-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 X5, 01 330i
If the switches are going bad, I came across this on Ebay yesterday and purchased a couple. The price seems really reasonable. Hopefully, they are legit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Dan
Old 11-14-2005, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 325i Convertible
9 times out of 10 I think it's just cleaning the switch or replacing the switch and then they work great just like yours did. Great.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 325e
Lion,

There is a big circuit breaker for the windows (this is the 25A one the manual refers to) and it's right above the radio. If you look, there will be a black button that just pushes in and clicks, and if you push it again it will pop out a little and have a red line visible. You don't have to take anything apart, it's right next to the rear defrost button. This breaker tripping will cause all windows to stop working, and yet the power sunroof will continue to work.

Hope that helps.

Farrell
Old 12-31-2006, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 325 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell Thomas View Post
Lion,

There is a big circuit breaker for the windows (this is the 25A one the manual refers to) and it's right above the radio. If you look, there will be a black button that just pushes in and clicks, and if you push it again it will pop out a little and have a red line visible. You don't have to take anything apart, it's right next to the rear defrost button. This breaker tripping will cause all windows to stop working, and yet the power sunroof will continue to work.

Hope that helps.

Farrell
I've always wondered what that was. I thought it was a power window lock, but since it locked both of them, that made no sense. Thanks again
Old 01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Nomad

Send a message via MSN to Nomade30
Mein Auto: 1987 325es
Quote:
Originally Posted by omw41 View Post
I've always wondered what that was. I thought it was a power window lock, but since it locked both of them, that made no sense. Thanks again
i was wondering why my windows wouldn't work when i got pulled over stupid friends having to push every button imaginable.. It was pretty funny i opened the door to talk to him and the cop screamed but i said "It's alright my windows don't work right now sorry" and i got out of the ticket of going 103 in a 55 cause we had a laugh and i bummed him a cig even though i am not old enough to even posses them in utah
Old 01-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 325 Automatic - 4 do
funny - I pushed 2 window buttons at the same time and then all my windows stopped working. I checked everything, fuses, etc.. read my manual to no avail. Then I found this thread and never even noticed that big black button next to the radio. Pushed it in and everything works fine now... God I love this board
Old 01-25-2007, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: '88 e30 325is
Haha. I wouldn't play with the button too much though. In my area, it's common for the switch to get stuck in the lock position, even though the button still moves up and down. Then your windows don't work. It's a real bitch if the windows are down.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 325i
No power windows

Hello All,

I am having a very similar problem with my 93 325i. When I got this car a week ago, the power windows, and also the sun roof were not working. Pushing the puttons did nothing, no lights diming, no clicking noise or anything. I check the fuse which was fine, and then I found a forum saying that the "comfort relay" may be bad so I replaced that which did fix the sunroof but still no power windows. According to the previous owner, they just all stopped working one day which leaves me to belive its not the motors or switches.

In my 93, do I have some type of breaker that may need to be reset? There is a button just to the right of the strearing wheel that I am not sure what it does but I can see that it has a red line wrapped around it. Is this the breaker? I don't think there is a button anywhere near the radio on this year and model.

Thank you,
Brad
Old 02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Account close at users request

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchitwood73 View Post
Hello All,

I am having a very similar problem with my 93 325i. When I got this car a week ago, the power windows, and also the sun roof were not working. Pushing the puttons did nothing, no lights diming, no clicking noise or anything. I check the fuse which was fine, and then I found a forum saying that the "comfort relay" may be bad so I replaced that which did fix the sunroof but still no power windows. According to the previous owner, they just all stopped working one day which leaves me to belive its not the motors or switches.

In my 93, do I have some type of breaker that may need to be reset? There is a button just to the right of the strearing wheel that I am not sure what it does but I can see that it has a red line wrapped around it. Is this the breaker? I don't think there is a button anywhere near the radio on this year and model.

Thank you,
Brad
Yes, that button, with the red line around it is the circuit breaker. WHen you can see the line, it means that the breaker has been activated. WHen you push it back in, make sure its all the way in. They are kinda tricky. Also, I notice that when the weather is very cold, my passenger side window sticks a little. I just give it a soft pop, and it works just fine. Note: you can tell in everything is ok at night if when you hit the window switch, and your lights dim. That means it is gettting power, but may be stuck with dirt or ice. GOod luck...
Old 02-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325i
Power Windows

Yup, that silly little breaker switch was the problem. So after replacing the confort relay and resetting the breaker my windows work now.

Thank you for the reply, now if I can only figure out how to reset the computer so it stops telling me that I have a tail light out and my washer fluid is low.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Account close at users request

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Yup, that silly little breaker switch was the problem. So after replacing the confort relay and resetting the breaker my windows work now.

Thank you for the reply, now if I can only figure out how to reset the computer so it stops telling me that I have a tail light out and my washer fluid is low.
Glad to see you got it worked out...great feeling huh? Good luck with the computer thing. All I can say is try disconnecting the NEG battery cable for a couple minutes. If you have a real problem, it will resurface.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 325i
i have a 1989 325i and none of the windows or sunroof open or close i tried the circuit breaker next to the window switches and nothing. i would like to put in a new comfort relay but have no idea where it is, i do know it is under the driver side dash but nothing more. can someone explain to me where it is and what it looks like. also where i can buy one? thank you
Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 320i
this forum is awesum i just bought a e30 320i and i couldnt figure owt wat it was .one read of this and its fixed .it was a loose conection on the circuit breaker ! thanks!!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 PM
VegasGaz

Mein Auto: 1987 325i
always learning......

big switch on the dash - imagine that!

(thanks for being here!)

Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1987 325ic
Window Circuit Breaker

I read through this thread with interest. I was putting all four windows up at once (duh) on my 87 325ic, and they stopped 3/4 the way up. Read through the thread, ran out in the parkinglot, and pushed the button! Nothing. I messed around with it for quite a while to no avail. Looked them up online, and replcaement breakers are around $75-$100!

So I carefully pried the breaker out of the dash to find....It's not hooked up! A previous owner had bypassed the breaker, and plugged a standard bayonet mount 30amp fuse into the harness. I replaced the fuse, and the windows now work.

Now that's MY kind of engioneering.

I suppose I should replace the breaker one of these days. And I definately will NOT mash down all four window buttons again!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: e46, e36
Quote:

You sure it's the computer? I had both those on, the brake light was due to a short, the washer was a problem with the float in the tank. The float inside the tank is tightly connected to the sensor on the
outside, but they can spin freely so the float was sideways and therefore useless. Months of irritation solved in literally 30 seconds.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325i
Thanks so very much for posting this. We have a 1991 BMW 325i convertible, found this switch with the red line down near the gear shifter. Popped it up then back down and now all windows work. I would probably have never figured it out without this forum.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 325i (currently)
Electric windows comfort relay location

If all your windows die at once here is how I would debug:

1) Check circuit breaker. On my '92 325i it is low on the dash to the right of the steering column. Press it in and see if it pops out taller, or stays in shorter. If it pops out taller then press it again so it stays in. Test to see if windows work.

2) If #1 doesn't solve it, check fuses in the fuse box under the hood. Replace any bad ones and retest.

3) If no luck with #1,2, try the electric locks. If they work then the comfort ECM is at least partially working, as I believe the comfort ECM handles both locking and windows. If locks don't work either, well, hopefully another poster has addressed this.

4) If no luck so far then you need to break out the volt meter. Carefully pry the breaker out of the dash. Use your volt meter to test both wires attached to the breaker (black wire to a good ground, red wire to the breaker connection, press window button, then same for other breaker connection). If no voltage found on either wire than the relay becomes the most likely prospect.

5) The relay can be found under the dash near the steering column, in an auxiliary relay block held in by plastic clips. I had to remove the lower interior panel and also the knee bolster to gain access (both easily removed). Un-clip the relay block and lower it so you can see what you are doing. The relay block is square at one end and triangular at the other. The comfort relay is at the triangular end. On my car it was blue. On my car I ordered a new one, and when I installed it it worked.

On my '92 325i the comfort relay was part number 61.35-8 353 000. An updated version (for which I do not have the part number) is now used, and the dealer was able to get the new part number based on the old and order it through his system.

Note that the dealer I used (in Decatur, GA) was NOT able to order me the relay based on the description alone ("comfort relay for '92 325i") !!! His system did not contain the relay descriptions, only the part numbers and pin-out diagrams! What a way to run a business! (I assume BMW's issue, not the dealer).

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your windows.