Moonroof delete option no long available? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: M240i
Moonroof delete option no long available?

I ordered a 2018 M240i without a moonroof but the car arrived with one installed several days ago. I told the dealer I hated moonroofs due to the weight penalty, aesthetics and possible future leaking and rattling problems, and asked to return the car. The dealer confirmed the car was ordered without a moonroof, but claimned BMW USA eliminated the moonroof delete option a few weeks after the initial build order without informing the dealer, and a replacement car would necessarily have a moonroof.

Is this true or is the dealer lying to prevent taking back the car and reordering? The dealer did not respond to my request for documentation that the option was eliminated. If they are lying, do I have any legal recourse? I have the original order paperwork and emails of the dealer claiming the moonroof delete was eliminated.

If in fact the moonroof delete was eliminated through no fault of the dealer, but I wasn't informed because BMW USA didn't notify dealers, as claimed, what kind of compensation can I, or should I ask for, from BMW USA or the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any information, advice or insight. Hello to all you fellow Bimmer owners. This is my first post on this forum and as a first-time BMW owner, transitioning from my beloved 2004 RX-8 with blown rotor seals.

Last edited by Rodmeister; 10-29-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Still Stickin' It!

Mein Auto: '15 228i Track Pkg/6MT
BMW has the right to change specifications at any time. You have the right to reject a non-conforming car based on the sales contract, including return of full refund. I haven't done so, but a review of the website Build function or a current order guide will show if the option for moonroof delete exists or not. You can ask the dealer to see the current order guide. Go to the showroom.

If the moonroof is a sufficient problem, the most you can do is get your deposit back and buy a different vehicle. You will walk away in the same condition as before you made the deal, which is what a small claims action would do as well.
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs
VO over Oyster Dakota/Brushed Aluminum/Fiery Orange IP Trim Wrap

Xpel Clear Paint Film/Opticoat Pro
BBS Wheels/AS3 Tires
MPerformance Black Kidney Grilles/Decklid Spoiler
Coding by Alex

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-29-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:22 PM

I searched around and could not find any evidence that itís been discontinued, but that doesnít mean itís false. Removing options get less press, so even if it were true, it might not have been publicized anywhere.

What I suggest is to call another dealer and ask if you can configure one with that option as if you were a potential customer. Find out if the dealers at least have the same information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
I would call BMW USA and ask. If it is still available, I would refuse delivery and ask for a refund, or another to be built that meets your request.

MP Rear Diffuser, BMS Black Chrome Slant Cut Exhaust Tips, Smoked Reflectors, iND painted mirror caps, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, air box foam removed, DinanTronics Sport, Dinan Mid-pipe
Old 10-29-2017, 05:59 PM

I did a "Build Your Own" at the BMW USA website. The moonroof delete option isn't there anymore, my dealer may be telling the truth. I will call BMW USA tomorrow to verify. If its true BMW changed the option three weeks after the dealer submitted my order in early September, my depute with BMW is I wasn't notified and given an option to continue or cancel my order.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Still Stickin' It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodmeister View Post
I did a "Build Your Own" at the BMW USA website. The moonroof delete option isn't there anymore, my dealer may be telling the truth. I will call BMW USA tomorrow to verify. If its true BMW changed the option three weeks after the dealer submitted my order in early September, my depute with BMW is I wasn't notified and given an option to continue or cancel my order.
You have that option right now. They delivered non-confirming goods. They cannot cure the defect, so the contract was not performed by them. You have no demonstrable damages but you are entitled to the return of any deposit and then you can move on. Or, you can agree to accept the non-conformance and buy the car as produced. The price doesnít change as I recall the moonroof delete had no price attached.

BBS Wheels/AS3 Tires
Coding by Alex
Old 10-29-2017, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw M240
Quote:
I ordered a 2018 M240i without a moonroof but the car arrived with one installed several days ago. I told the dealer I hated moonroofs due to the weight penalty, aesthetics and possible future leaking and rattling problems, and asked to return the car. The dealer confirmed the car was ordered without a moonroof, but claimned BMW USA eliminated the moonroof delete option a few weeks after the initial build order without informing the dealer, and a replacement car would necessarily have a moonroof.

Is this true or is the dealer lying to prevent taking back the car and reordering? The dealer did not respond to my request for documentation that the option was eliminated. If they are lying, do I have any legal recourse? I have the original order paperwork and emails of the dealer claiming the moonroof delete was eliminated.

If in fact the moonroof delete was eliminated through no fault of the dealer, but I wasn't informed because BMW USA didn't notify dealers, as claimed, what kind of compensation can I, or should I ask for, from BMW USA or the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any information, advice or insight. Hello to all you fellow Bimmer owners. This is my first post on this forum and as a first-time BMW owner, transitioning from my beloved 2004 RX-8 with blown rotor seals.

I strongly doubt BMW would have done that to you.

My bet is the dealership screwed up and wonít confess to it. Mine almost forgot the moonroof delete and I had to go through the ordered build sheet with a fine tooth comb to make sure no other mistakes existed. They also accidentally added a couple of things I had to have them remove before I would sign the new build order. That said, mistakes happen - I was just a little anal about it. To note, I decided to keep one mistake...black kidney grills. They added it on accident and I told them to keep it. The profusely apologized.

My point is, while I get your frustration, just call BMW Genius and hopefully you can turn this error into an advantage depending on the response you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. Reach out to one of the BF sponsors, via PM, ask if they could tell you on a confidential basis (ie you wont pull them into it). This is essential, you need to know if the dealer is lying.

(Random thought: Could also be that this delete could now be a custom order, not a standard option.....like an Individual Option...)

2. When you took the car off the lot, you accepted the car as built. Why? Just a really bad move. You will likely need a lawyer if it gets serious (ie turns out they are lying, and they dont want to take it back and reorder)
Period

3. BMWNA/Customer Service will do NOTHING. The nanosecond they get a whiff that this involves "an issue with a sale at a dealership" they will (1) clam up with info, (2) make appropriate noises to you, aka happy talk, to make it sound like they are seriously outraged and will do everything to make it right, (3) suck info out of you, then circle back to the dealership. And that will be the end of their involvement.

GL

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER 'the company that made the OE part" or.... 'A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label,"

OEM is NOT WHAT YOU BUY AT THE DEALER.

Don't believe me? Read:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 10-30-2017, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto:
I ordered a 2018 M240i in July of this year. Specified the moonroof delete option. The SA printed out the order that was entered into the BMW NA ordering system. He explained each code. The moonroof delete option was listed. Received the carís VIN which I entered into several BMW VIN decoders. Each showed that the car would have a moonroof. Called the SA. He assured me that the car would not have the moonroof. Car was delivered with the moonroof! Sales manager went through the roof (pun intended) and called BMW NA. Read them the riot act. He also refunded $500 of the purchase price!

Iím betting BWN AG is building all coupes with the moonroof.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Still Stickin' It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
2. When you took the car off the lot, you accepted the car as built. Why? Just a really bad move. You will likely need a lawyer if it gets serious (ie turns out they are lying, and they dont want to take it back and reorder)
Period
I may have misunderstood the status of the car. I read the OP's first post as the car arrived into dealer inventory with a moonroof and delivery had not yet been taken. If the OP has, indeed, taken delivery, your first sentence is completely accurate. It doesn't matter whether the moonroof installation was from a mistake, dishonesty, or any other cause. Once the car arrived and the OP inspected it, was aware of the moonroof, and took delivery anyway, all objections have been waived and it is now the OPs car. There is no basis for return/compensation, etc. I don't know of a lawyer who would take this on, as the Uniform Commercial Code is fairly clear on how this plays out, now that he accepted delivery.

BBS Wheels/AS3 Tires
Coding by Alex
Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 AM

Just got off the phone with BMW and the 2018 m240 still has moonroof delete as an option. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Still Stickin' It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw240xi18 View Post
Just got off the phone with BMW and the 2018 m240 still has moonroof delete as an option. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
It's not on the BUILD function on the website, so maybe there is some internal confusion? Anyway, it no longer matters if the OP took delivery and accepted the deviation from the original contract.

BBS Wheels/AS3 Tires
Coding by Alex
Old 10-30-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
It's not on the BUILD function on the website, so maybe there is some internal confusion? Anyway, it no longer matters if the OP took delivery and accepted the deviation from the original contract.

Thatís true.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Well, if they did do away w/ the moonroof delete option, that would really SUCK! The 2018 configuator has had plenty of problems for customers and dealers alike. Lets hope we still have the same options as we did in 2017.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Apparently the dealersí ordering system is messed up (or was messed up) as my order from that system showed the moonroof delete. Iím happy with the car even though it has the moonroof.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM

I, too, ordered a 2018 240i with the moonroof delete option, but got a moonroof anyway. The dealership checked its records and determined that they had placed the order correctly. Their guess is that in the transition from 2017s to 2018s, one of the option packages was changed to include a moonroof, and so if you ordered this package, which I had, it overrode the option to delete the moonroof. The dealership ended up knocking some additional cash off the purchase price, which was acceptable to me. I love the car, but at one point I must have accidentally opened the damned moonroof part way, because I was getting a lot of wind noise, and I while driving I had a lot of difficulty getting it to shut completely.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
I ... asked to return the car.

to prevent taking back the car .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I may have misunderstood the status of the car. I read the OP's first post as the car arrived into dealer inventory with a moonroof and delivery had not yet been taken. .
Yeah, a bit unclear. Could be choice of words.

I originally composed it with 'if you took the car you are totally SOL', however there is a legal argument that could be made if the dealer purposefully mislead the OP that a delete was not possible, and that lie convinced him to accept the car. This might be construed to be a fraudulent act, resulting in his acceptance.

So I didn't say he is totally SOL. But close

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER 'the company that made the OE part" or.... 'A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label,"

OEM is NOT WHAT YOU BUY AT THE DEALER.

Don't believe me? Read:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 10-31-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:01 PM

Perhaps w/ 2018's the moon-roof is included in the $2000 package (forget the name now). 2er is a great car regardless, but a shame if you have to take something you don't want (and it should actually be cheaper for them to manufacture w/o).
Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M2/2011 1M
2018 Ordering Guide

Attached is the 2018 ordering guide. It does show that it is still avail - but then again, it missing from bmwusa.com points to something very different.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto:
Moonroof delete option no long available?

I think thereís a missing connection between the dealer ordering system and the factory. Or maybe the factory build system doesnít recognize the moonroof delete option.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
My condolences to three posters who got screwed. This was the issue I was extremely vocal about when M235i first came out. Seemingly, I wasn't alone because next MY moonroof delete became available. For the record, I couldn't take delivery with moonroof because there is no way I would be able to sit in there with helmet on and it would constantly bother me even without it, depending on the length of my very short hair - or what's left of it

That we need to go over this again 4 years later is sheer idiocy on the part of BMWNA.

One more thing - BMW AG builds most or even all cars without moonroof (with it being an expensive option everywhere else) and if there is a f%$^ckup somewhere, look no further than Woodcliff Lake, NJ. That's where BMW of North America's headquarters are.

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 10-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Gear Jammer

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
I just looked on the configurator and didn't see it. Could be a hidden option though.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 AM

The website was way behind when I placed my order. As you can see, moonroof delete is still an option.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:02 AM

Yeah, the paper says that, but guys ordering w/o and receiving the cars w/ tell a different story.

These could be dealer screw-ups, however, one has to wonder if more than one dealership is screwing up or if the manufacturer is doing something different.

Would like to hear from someone that has ordered a 2018 and the premium package w/ the moon-roof delete and got the car w/o the moon-roof.

Apparently BMW has done something to the 2018 ordering process, that if you choose one item (or package) you get other stuff w/ it that you may not want.

I get that there is paper saying you can get this or that, but when you actually order, plant operation may be sending the car down a different path where you get a moon-roof or a Nav or heated seats you may not want.

Yes packages can save money if you want all the stuff they offer, but I prefer the option for ala carte items.

I really do not see the fascination people have w/ a moon-roof....yeah, back in the day it was a novelty, but I find them to be more trouble than they are worth.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Ein kleines deuce coupe

Mein Auto: M235i & RX-8
Strange if the 240 can't be configured sans moonroof. It's not as if the slicktop option is completely gone since a base 230 and the M2 have the solid roof standard.

2015 Estoril Blue M235i |6MT|Terra Dakota leather|Premium Package|Moonroof Delete|HK stereo|MP exhaust|MP diffuser

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search