Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-04-2005, 06:17 AM
In Mod Heaven

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Toll Booth Accident - I-190 Buffalo - Pics

Last week, while driving into work, I noticed that their was much more traffic then usual. While traveling southbound on I-190 into Buffalo, there is a toll booth plaza that has three E-Z Pass Lanes and four pay lanes. The highway is only a two lane highway, but it opens up at the toll plaza.

I could'nt tell why there was such a backup until I got closer to the toll gate. The left most E-Z pass lane was blocked off by a few police cars and this is what happened.

From my perspective:

From the front:

I guess that both cars were trying to be the first thru the toll plaza, and neither would let the other one in. It took over an hour to get the people out of their cars b/c there was no room on either side to squeeze out. I couldn't stop laughing the whole morning. The Maxima looks like it got the brunt of the impact.

My friend at work got these pics from a buddy of his. I'm guessing they were taken by either the cops on the scene or the tow-truck driver.
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2005, 06:23 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
It took over an hour to get the people out of their cars b/c there was no room on either side to squeeze out.
See... Take that, all you sunroof "stiffness" naysayers...
That's why having a sunroof is a good thing... could have been out in a jiffy!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:31 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 10-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Lovin' Life

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6

And people doubt evolution! What more proof is needed!

Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Looks like Honda was winning
Old 10-04-2005, 06:57 AM
I hate door dings

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
two idiots.

2004 325Ci, TiAg, Step, No SP, No PP, No mods, no upgrades.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Mig29 Send a message via AIM to Mig29 Send a message via Yahoo to Mig29
Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack
It took over an hour to get the people out of their cars

I can't even begin to imagine the nice conversation those drivers had for that hour. Talk about captive audience.
OTOH I think it's a good thing that they didn't have sun roofs; if they could get out before police came, one of them would be dead now.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
That is AWESOME!

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"
Old 10-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
I guess the ez pass charged them both?

Photobucket
Old 10-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
I guess the ez pass charged them both?
I wonder if it kept taking toll money from them? That would be hilarious is it ran them dry and then got sent a photo ticket for not paying.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack

From the front:

Seems like the Nissan was totally at fault. You can see damage to the drivers side rear of the Honda and both front corners of the Nissan are smashed. That would lead me to belive that the Honda was in front....maybe stopped for traffic or something and the Nissan just slamed in there.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:31 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
I've argued w/ people about who's going to pay for lunch or dinner, but on who's paying a toll? that's a new one.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer
That would lead me to belive that the Honda was in front....maybe stopped for traffic or something and the Nissan just slamed in there.
The entry is too narrow for both of them to go side-by-side, plus there are no scrape marks on the barriers.

I think TE is right: the Honda was there first, probably stopped for whatever reason, and the Altima driver realized it too late and didn't stop in time.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Sun Su say..."Ez pass...arrr...not so Ez"

Old 10-04-2005, 09:59 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato
two idiots.
Glad I'm older and wiser than to have to show that I'm an idiot at a toll plaza.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
I've actually seen that happen here coming to a cash lane years ago. They didn't get stuck, but they rubbed doors until they stopped and started screaming at each other.

Funniest I've seen was a guy who clipped the left wall and rolled onto the passenger side, stopping even with the booth while centered in the lane. It looked almost planned.

Worse yet is when one of the truckers forgets about the toll plaza. We've had several in the past couple years go up the concrete barricade and take out many lanes of the plaza, and in one instance kill a booth operator. I had to drive off the road once as a tanker came sliding sideways toward the automatic car-only lanes. He came to a stop 50ft from the plaza but the truck was perpendicular to traffic.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 10-05-2005, 11:24 AM
I hate door dings

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
Worse yet is when one of the truckers forgets about the toll plaza. We've had several in the past couple years go up the concrete barricade and take out many lanes of the plaza, and in one instance kill a booth operator. I had to drive off the road once as a tanker came sliding sideways toward the automatic car-only lanes. He came to a stop 50ft from the plaza but the truck was perpendicular to traffic.
Booth operator is a dangerous job. Even though no car hits them, they inhale large amount of car exhaust. I think they don't live very long.

2004 325Ci, TiAg, Step, No SP, No PP, No mods, no upgrades.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Quote:
Booth operator is a dangerous job. Even though no car hits them, they inhale large amount of car exhaust. I think they don't live very long.
Here in DFW there's been a couple of toll booth operators that was killed when they tried to cross the plaza when getting on or off their shifts. The new toll plaza has a elevator that take them to and from underground. The Dallas Tollroad authority want to redo all the old plaza to have the underground for the worker to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 87 325is
I'm glad that there's no toll booths on my way to work, or pretty much anwhere I go!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:01 PM
O Genki Desu ka?

Send a message via AIM to ljh824
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
That is hilarious!!! I hate those F'ers who think they own the road and never let anyone merge or move over. I hope the state makes them pay for the toll booth damage.

"We few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers,
for he today who sheds his blood with me,
shall be my brother"...Shakespeare, Henry V
Old 10-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Jet Black BMW 325i
. It's good to see that plenty of morons do exist.
Premium and Cold Package
Old 10-05-2005, 01:25 PM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
can't be any worse than living in NYC or some other major city.

The booth operators around here are almost always elderly, however on a trip to my sisters place in Wichita there was a LONG line of cars to go through one boothe (I went through it 3 times) b/c there was a SMOKING HOT girl working there. Peopel must have had CB's and cell phones working b/c there were 4 lanes open and pretty much everyone was piled up behind the one lane this girl was in.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:30 PM
swinging a big stick

Mein Auto: 03 525iT & 06 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Pipefitting, smelting --- those are dangerous jobs. Exposure to things like MEK or asbestos. Car exhaust is nothing in comparison.