Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-05-2005, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 528e
Question Help! 528e Electrical problems

I have a 1985 528e and very recently the power locks stopped working, and then I noticed the interior lights also don't work. And the most bizarre symptom: my radio works, but between turning the car off and on again it changes stations! I thought I was crazy at first, but I have checked it and that is really happening.
Can anyone shed light on my problem?
Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2005, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 528e
Power problems

My 528e started to have various electrical problems, including the radio resetting everytime that the car was shut off. I discovered that the fuses in the fuse box under the hood had become corroded and were not making good contact. Try replacing or cleaning the fuses and the contacts.

Walter
1986 528e
Old 10-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 733i
Bizarre Electrical behaviors

The bullet-style fuses get a corrosion on them called "tin pest", which is non-conductive. You can get copper-coated ones from AutiHaus AZ or from FCP Groton very cheap, that do not go cruddy on you. Clean the spring clip connectors with Emery Cloth to get the pset off. Use Ox-Gard paste to form an oxygen-proof barrier around the connector that will not interfere with electrical conduction, but will inhibit any further corrosion. There are two relays that can start Inductive-kick transients onto the cab interior bus when the diode inside the relay goes bad (surge suppressor diodes are there to shunt inducive kick). One is the timer for the chime, the other is the central lock relay, and ALSO: The "Main Relay" can do the same thing to your fuel delivery circuit, which will eventually toast the O/P drivers on your ECU to the Injectors. There are only four kinds of relays in the whole wire harness. Order them by Bosch number from BenzBin.com or FCP Groton, and they run $5 to 11 apiece. EZ way: Spend $60 and Swap Out Relays until the problem disappears, or NOT EZ Way to save $40 of that 60...follow the schematic printed right on the side of the relay can itself, and measure Fwd-vs-Reverse bias across the surge diode(Fwd Bias should be @ 2K Ohms for a Bosch 1215613 relay, Reverse should be >2 Meg Ohms) A bad surge diode will read same both ways: Diode Symbol is an arrow. Connect Multimeter on Ohms function to relay terminal of a REMOVED relay so that the red lead is upstream of the arrow, and the black lead is connected to the relay terminal indicated as being downstream of the arrow. That makes up connections for a check of Fwd-Bias. Switch lead locations to check reverse bias. Replace relay if bad or screwy readings.

Good Luck to you, Bloke.