Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-07-2005, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
1994 Driver Side Door Panel

Any know the secret to detaching the panel in the area of the door handle? Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 10-13-2005, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i Wagon
REMOVING THE 1992 (+/-) BMW 525 DOOR PANEL & Window Motor

If you are sure you don't have an electrical problem, like a fuse, then here's what you need to do:

1) Remove the door panel. by first removing these items:

-- Speaker cover (leave the mirror screw)
-- Screw behind the cover plate...behind the door handle
--- Torx screw behind the cover plate in the upper part of the door handle (This is a long screw)
-- Chrome trim across the top of the door. Just pry it up.
-- Any screws you may or may not have along the bottom of the door
-- Other misc. electrical from the switches (I can't remember all of them) just look.

...And when you are ready pry the door cover...pull it out & push it up from the bottom. There is a semi-hard lip that hooks along the window trim.

Note: You may have to hot glue or use silicon glue to put the door panel back in place, and on my door someone put 4 screws along the bottom for extra hold. It looks good.

-- Remove the foam cover carefully.
-- Try testing the window for power or apply power directly. It's a dc motor so by reversing + & - you will be able to move the window up or down. BTW, you will need the window raised about 1/2 way up to remove the 4 or 5 bolts that hold the window mechanism in place. Or at least you hope there will be bolts . I've heard that some are riveted on and you have to grind these off, and then replace them with bolts. Anyway, you can't remove the window motor without first removing the window mechanism.

Note: Leave the 2 window sliders. Instead, just pull off the retaining clips off, and use force to pop-out the knuckle/pin in the arm... which is pressed into the Teflon slider. (Be sure to order 2 of these window sliders along with your door motor before you start your job. I ordered my motor from BMA for $95.

Also, you can not rebuild the motor. It's got a worm gear that mates with a nylon wheel and there is nothing you can do but buy a new one.

Good luck. It's not hard, but the first time is always a joy!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
On the HI-Way of Life

Mein Auto: '94 540i, '03 330Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgrella
Any know the secret to detaching the panel in the area of the door handle? Thanks!
get the e34 bentley manual and all your info is there!