Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 10-07-2005, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325 xi
My ED Saga, finally picked up my Car

My Timeline:

Mid July: Bought a ticket to go to Munich for a conference / vacation (leaving morning of October 1st and coming back on October 6th). Started thinking of European Delivery as my current car is getting old.

August 4th 2005: Meet with the dealer and test drive a 325i and negotiate on price

August 5th: Agree on price and place an order for an October 3rd delivery.

August 9th: Sign the ED paper work and get assigned a production number (things looking good)

August 9th – August 30th Wait for the car to go in production (check the status on the OC)

August 31st: After suggestions from Bimmerfest posts check the status through 800 number. The car is in production and get the VIN number (things looking really good)

September 7th: Talk to my credit union and he agrees to finance the car through ED (his only requirement was that I give him the VIN number (which I did give to him)

September 9th: The automated system reports that the car is produced and waiting shipment. Proceed to the dealer to pay for the car. Just before going to the dealer again check the automated system. The automated system now reports that the car is being shipped to the port of exit (makes no sense as it is ED). As soon as I enter the dealership he says that there is a message from BMWNA stating that the delivery is now pushed to October 17 (as October 3rd is a holiday). I ask him about the port of exit question and he says he has no idea on what happened. Totally confused head home (with the check still with me). Post the question on Bimmerfest. One of the responses is a PM from Bee. Talk to him and he provides pointers on how to deal with the situation.

September 12th – 15th: Numerous calls to my dealer but get no where. He says he has not heard back from BMWNA. One more frantic message to Bee who says he will get back to me in 24 hours. He works his magic and sure enough in 24 hours he has suggestions and follow up information.

September 16th: On Bee’s advise contact BMWNA ED and am told that they will make something work for the 4th. It might be that the car may not be there (as it is being sent to the port of exit) but they will let me do all the paper work. She also tells me that BMWNA did not receive all the paper work from the dealer ship and hence they thought it was regular delivery. (I had signed the two sheet paper and the power of attorney). She said they require some extra paper work. Also she had tried to contact the dealership but they had not responded to her. Further she said that they were not allowing a 325 xi pickup before October 17th. According to the dealer he had sent all the paper work.

September 21st: Head to the dealership to pay for the car. The BMWNA lady calls me to tell me that I actually will have a car on 4th in Munich (things look up again).

September 21st – September 28th: Wait for the confirmation package. Make calls to the dealer who says he is following up. Get an email on 28th confirming the delivery.

September 29th: Call BMWNA ED to ask about the confirmation package. He says that they are shipping it today (Fedex)

September 30th 2:00 PM Still no package, call BMWNA ED to get the tracking number, finally the package shows up at 3:15 PM. However it does not have any of the maps. Go to Bimmerfest and print out all the directions.

October 1st fly to Munich, BA delays the bags in London (get them 12 hours after I landed in Munich on 2nd)

October 3rd Spend some quality time at the Oktoberfest (probably could have had one less beer!!)

October 4th get up with a hang over and head to BMW (took the U-6 train) and the directions from Bimmerfest posts were a great help. Arrive there around 8:15 (about three people already there). Go up to the coffee shop and sign the Bimmerfest book and get coffee (just a dumb question why do we have to carry the voucher 5,000 miles, can’t it be given when you check-in at the BMW desk with your passport!!). Wait for an hour and am told that as the paper work was late getting to them the car registration is still not done and they are working on it. Also the car will be registered to BMW NA (while in Europe). He repeats at least 10 times that this has no implication of ownership in NA. Finally after 2 & ½ hours my name is called. I finally get to see the car for which I have waited two months. As they are extremely busy and my dealer did not specifically request Factory tour (probably one of the papers he did not send) do not get the tour. Complete the paper work (but no one checks my Drivers License which I though was strange). Finally at 11:15 drive out of the BMW premises.

October 4th – 6th: Roam around Munich, return the car (which only takes 5 minutes) and head back home. Now waiting for a call that the car was accidentally shipped to Australia or South Africa.

Thanks to all the people at Bimmerfest for all there suggestion (could not have gone this with those tips), with a special thank you to Bee for his assistance. This board might well be the best free service.

Will post the pictures this weekend
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarwal
Now waiting for a call that the car was accidentally shipped to Australia or South Africa.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 10-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: '99 Civic
So did you indeed get your xi despite BMW ED saying that they cannot arrange a pick-up for that model before October 17?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
So did you indeed get your xi despite BMW ED saying that they cannot arrange a pick-up for that model before October 17?
Don't expect special magical treatment like this 10/17 is the day

This is special delivery as BMWNA ED trying to help sarwal out of a BAD situation by a dealer who is unfamiliar with the ED process (and appears to be NOT care much either ) My ED contact bend over backwards and did several back flips to make it happen for sarwal's trip. The thanx really belong to the folks at ED office, as sarwal's dealer f**ked-up big times and he could have been screwed out of the trip easily

Moral of story, deal w/ a dealer who knows what s/he is doing will make your ED trip less "unpredictable" in a good way

Congrats Sarwal
Old 10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
This is special delivery as BMWNA ED trying to help sarwal out of a BAD situation by a dealer who is unfamiliar with the ED process (and appears to be NOT care much either )
I BMWNA ED. One call to KL, my issue gets squared away instantly every time. Damn dealers on the other hand... Well, some dealers anyway.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Just FWIW, that "Your Vehicle is being transported to the port of exit" message is a standard message. All it means is that the vehicle has left the factory. With both of my ED experiences, that was the last status message I ever got from the BMW self-support tracking systems (I did get the notice of which vessel my car was on, but that was a letter that was sent to me and my dealership). Unfortunately, there are no special status codes for us ED folks, and the tracking kind of breaks down once we pick the car up in Munich.

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 10-07-2005, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
Just FWIW, that "Your Vehicle is being transported to the port of exit" message is a standard message. All it means is that the vehicle has left the factory. With both of my ED experiences, that was the last status message I ever got from the BMW self-support tracking systems (I did get the notice of which vessel my car was on, but that was a letter that was sent to me and my dealership). Unfortunately, there are no special status codes for us ED folks, and the tracking kind of breaks down once we pick the car up in Munich.

-MrB
I was just going to mention this, mrbelk beat me to it. Also, couldn't tell sarwal if you were implying from your post, but you don't automatically get a factory tour - that has to be arranged seperately.

Congratulations, glad you received your car after all of that hard work and worrying you had to do!
9/13/05 ED - 2006 325i Sparkling Graphite Sedan

BMW CCA #366798

Old 10-07-2005, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325 xi
I think Bee pretty much summed it up. I did not realize that the factory tour has to be arranged seperately and neither did my dealer. If my dealer had done a lot of EDs he would have probably known.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: Zuffenhausen's finest
Congrats sarwal.

_Sing along_

Everybody have fun tonight....everybody bee-wang chung tonight.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
This Oct. 17 date for the AWD seems to be causing a lot of confusion.

I was told "nothing in Oct." by my BMWNA ED and my dealer. Another dealer told me Nov at the earliest even before I placed an order, so it's kosher with the BMW ED feedback of no earlier than 10/17.
But I am seeing several people picking up this week and ordered only about 2 months ago.

I am curious if there's going to be any problems with those folks' cars when they arrive at the ED Center.
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Old 10-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Problems such as?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Problems such as?
I don't know possibly, car not being ready or being told to wait longer than usual at the center?

I am only referring to those picking up e90Xi's before Oct. 17.

I am just curious if they'll have problems when they arrive at the delivery center.
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Old 10-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 325 (2006) - FIAT spider
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarwal
My Timeline:

One of the responses is a PM from Bee. Talk to him and he provides pointers on how to deal with the situation.
One more frantic message to Bee who says he will get back to me in 24 hours. He works his magic and sure enough in 24 hours he has suggestions and follow up information.
On Bee’s advise contact BMWNA ED
.... with a special thank you to Bee for his assistance...
I have been at Bimmerfest for over two years. I am left speachless over and over by Bee's good natured help!. I can't figure out how he finds the time to do anything else outside Bimmerfest, given the time and effort he spends on this board.
No thanks are enough.