Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 11-19-2002, 05:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330xi JetBlk/Blk
BIM-COM - diagnostics for the BMW line

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiM-COM/

Uwe Ross, the guy who created the VAG-COM program that allows parameter manipulation, error code reporting, and diagnostic control for VW/Audi vehicles, is considering developing software to handle the BMW line. You can visit his website and see what the software he has created (which uses a Windows PC computer to emulate a very expensive auto diagnostic tool) can do. Here is the link to Uwe's VAG-COM website:
http://www.ross-tech.com/

Would you like similar capability for your BMW? We know the dealer can set configuration options and read trouble codes, for the home mechanic this tool would be an immense help. At the top of this message is a link to the Yahoo group Uwe has set up for input on this product. He's looking for input on what you'd want to do with the software. The cost of one trip to the dealer to reset the error light when the wife doesn't tighten the gas cap is reason enough to promote the development of this software.
Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2002, 05:56 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Re: BIM-COM - diagnostics for the BMW line

Quote:
Originally posted by pmb1010

Uwe Ross, the guy who created the VAG-COM program that allows parameter manipulation, error code reporting, and diagnostic control for VW/Audi vehicles, is considering developing software to handle the BMW line. You can visit his website and see what the software he has created (which uses a Windows PC computer to emulate a very expensive auto diagnostic tool) can do. Here is the link to Uwe's VAG-COM website:
http://www.ross-tech.com/

Would you like similar capability for your BMW? We know the dealer can set configuration options and read trouble codes, for the home mechanic this tool would be an immense help. At the top of this message is a link to the Yahoo group Uwe has set up for input on this product. He's looking for input on what you'd want to do with the software. The cost of one trip to the dealer to reset the error light when the wife doesn't tighten the gas cap is reason enough to promote the development of this software.
I'd be VERY interested in this product. I'm curious what options would be available for the E36. If I have a chance, I'll sign up for the mailing list.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:33 AM
Speed Bump

Mein Auto: 75 Vega
Re: BIM-COM - diagnostics for the BMW line

Quote:
Originally posted by pmb1010

(which uses a Windows PC computer to emulate a very expensive auto diagnostic tool) can do.

Using a PC is no great accomplishment. There are companies out there selling software to run on a $99 Palm PDA to work w/ OBD-II.

Ed
Old 11-19-2002, 06:44 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Re: Re: BIM-COM - diagnostics for the BMW line

Quote:
Originally posted by teamdfl

Using a PC is no great accomplishment. There are companies out there selling software to run on a $99 Palm PDA to work w/ OBD-II.

Ed
VAG-COM (and MODIC) do a lot more than simply interface and read OBD-II functions. On the E46, MODIC allows you to interact with computer settings in the vehicle, such as car memory, DRL settings, activating the alarm, auto locking at 5 mph, etc. Not sure what, if anything, it does on the E36, though.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:39 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Yeah, the standard OBD-II functions are pretty limited on BMWs (I have Vehicle Explorer), since BMW still runs mostly proprietary functions instead of adopting the full OBD-II spec like the domestics have.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to VelvetFoot
Mein Auto: 2002 325ci
I use Vag-Com. Great product. Great support. Great price.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: E39 525i M-Tech
Is their any update on Bim-Com from ross-tech?
Just having an interface that doesn't use any DB9(RS232)->USB adapter for the BMW would be a great thing.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: '94 325is
I've used Vag-Com as well. EXCELLENT product.. it was so good that before I bought my BMW I was looking for a VW or Audi just so I could use it.

I hope we get BIM-COM!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
Hi there.. earlier I watched the Bim-com development but it has ended But now, after years, I came across this: http://www.obdtester.com/bimcom

It looks similar, but not from ross-tech. Does anyone have some more info about it?

Thank you