Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
2006 750Li Engine noise

Hello, I'm new here, just joined to see if anyone has had a similar problem with their car.

I got my wife a 2006 750Li a few months ago. The dealer has been trying to find a fix for an engine noise. They've told me on several trips in that they don't yet have a software upgrade to fix this one yet, and that they have had a few (but not many) instances of the same problem.

Here's what is happening: at low speeds (pulling into the garage), I get a "diesel" knock that rattles fairly loudly for several seconds, then subsides. It happens just when I touch the gas on and will stay on as the car moves at idle. It also occurs when travelling around 20-30, letting off the gas, then gently putting it back on (as in stop and go traffic). People look over to see what is making the awful noise (it sounds like a 1979 Peugeot diesel). Kind of embarrassing...it also has made knocking sounds when the car was hot and I went to speed up at freeway speeds.

Like I said, the dealer has checked it out (it isn't constant or always repeatable, so the first time in they said they couldn't hear anything) and assures me it is nothing mechanical that is loose, but that it is merely timing/software/fuel related. The car has 2500 miles on it now and it is getting quite annoying not finding the source of this problem.

So I came here, searched the forums and I don't find anyone else with this issue. So now I'm wondering if they'll ever get to a software upgrade that fixes what this car is experiencing specifically...or are there others out there uffering in silence (or not, as the case may be)? Do I have any hope or do I ready myself to get them to replace it?

The specs: Sterling Gray, black interior, comfort package, convenience package, luxury seats, rear luxury seats, rear entertainment, 19" wheels...
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2005, 10:45 PM

By the way, here is a picture of the 750Li...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1660.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	58904  
Old 10-10-2005, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 07 750Li, 06 Carrera S
same thing here

I have the same problem. Almost like the rpm is too low and the engine is lugging. Very frustrating. I was hoping that the software upgrade would fix this, not done yet, will let you know.
BTW my car is a 750 LI, 2200 miles, Sterling gray and black interior, comfort seats, premium sound. I also have a malfunctioning auto park which will disengage before the car stops; a new module is on order, at which time I'll request the software upgrade.

Last edited by G750; 10-10-2005 at 07:13 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-10-2005, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750LI
I have the same problem with my car. I bought my 2006 750LI this summer and it was OK for a while. Now, when it got colder the problem escalted. During the summer the only problem was when you are stop, the car starts to shake like you have couple of trucks passing you at a high speed. Since the temputure dropped, the engine noise begun. The noise begins, when the car has been off for a while. It sounds like a traktor, and nothing like a BMW. At the same time RPM dial is jumping like crazy. I goes away after a minute or two. By the way, the car still shakes periodically, when you are stopped.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:20 AM

Akbars, I think you're describing a different problem. What my car does is exactly what Dave_car_guy describes at low speeds and stop and go traffic.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, both of you. Indeed, the shaking and RPM jumps are not part of my problem, but as you say, it sounds like a tractor. I hate to say this, but I am somewhat glad to hear there are others out there...this means we may get a solution. That said, what have each of you done in terms of taking the car in and asking for a fix? Are you getting the same reply as I am? (that is: "...no fix yet, we're working on it").

As one mechanic told me, they are still working some bugs out. This is one of the highest compression engines they've ever produced and the engine management activity is not trivial. That I can accept, I just don't like being "Oracled" by these guys (in other words, getting the bugs worked out on my time after releasing the software). Or is that getting "Microsoft-ed" by them?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li Euro Delivery
When my car is cold, first thing in the morning it feels like the car is vibrating a little at low engine RPM, however it goes away as soon as the car is a little warm, perhaps in 30 to 60 seconds.
From reading your posts, I would turn the car in to the dealer, and refuse to take it back until it is fixed, if the problem persists 3 times , time to call a lemon law attorney.
You paid too much to have to endure any problems, and if they do not know how to fix your car, let them have it back. I would.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:28 PM

I do also have the morning vibration that goes away quickly, but that's a relatively minor problem. Also, shifting tends to be very jerky the first few times until the car warms up. It only does it first thing in the morning, and I don't have the time to demonstrate to the dealership mechanic. I think they know what the deal is by now and just play dumb.
Did the upgrade solve that problem?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:18 AM

The software upgrade did not solve any problems, the jerky transmission problem was solved by starting from 2nd gear instead of 1st in Drive mode.
Engine noise at low RPM indicates a problem in the car that can not be software, since all these cars have the exact same software and only yours is behaving this way.
As I posted before, the dealers do not have the knowledge to fix these cars. All they know is to reset the computer and upgrade software. You are a victim of BMW's complexity. The most probable reason that they can not fix your problem is that the amount of money they pay their technitians does not attract the good educated ones.
Try calling the forman of your dealership and have a heart to heart talk with him, call the sales manager and tell him about the problem and insist on the car staying at the dealership until it is fixed and do not accept a cheap loaner either. The sales department have better loaners, service departmet at best will give you a 3 series or an X3, sales department might have something more intresting.

Last edited by 2006_750Li_ED; 10-13-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Lemon Law May be The Answer

For those of us in liberal lemon law states (how's that for alliteration) it's three strikes and you're out. If enough BMWs get returned BMW will have to provide better support, which may mean better products and properly trained and paid technicians at its franchised service centers.

I am now looking forward to my 650i with a bit of an attitude!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, X5 4.4
750LI Bluetooth

Has anyone been successful with bluetooth phones other than thos listed onBMW's site. Also, has anyone tried the phne cradle, does it improve reception when driving?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM

I took the car in today and got an X3 loaner.
Let's see if they can fix that transmission problem this time...
Old 10-20-2005, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown
Has anyone been successful with bluetooth phones other than thos listed onBMW's site. Also, has anyone tried the phne cradle, does it improve reception when driving?
if you upgrade the software of the car to version 19.1 many more phones will work. my Samsung V730 PDA started working, and I know that the Palm Trio works with the new software, a dealer told me.
I have a Mototrola V.815 with the cradle, and I must say it is really convenient to get the phone charging when I talk, and I do get an extra bar or 2 due to using the car's antenna, I strongly recomend the cradle.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 750Lix / '05 XJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_750Li_ED
if you upgrade the software of the car to version 19.1 many more phones will work. my Samsung V730 PDA started working, and I know that the Palm Trio works with the new software, a dealer told me.
I have a Mototrola V.815 with the cradle, and I must say it is really convenient to get the phone charging when I talk, and I do get an extra bar or 2 due to using the car's antenna, I strongly recomend the cradle.

I'm going to get a T-mobile phone this week for my ED on Thursday. Can you tell me which phones will be able to work with the 7 so when I'm in Europe I won't have any trouble.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to ///MLover
Mein Auto: Nothing
Angry

the new version update made my Bluetooth connection notto work...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:24 PM

Smile Yippee

Well, I got the car back after a 19.2 software upgrade. I'm happy to say that the diesel like vibration at low rpm's is gone, and so is the jittery transmission when starting cold.
The Bluetooth still works well and the navigation has a new color to it and works just fine.

They also fixed my auto park feature which wasn't working due to a defective hood closure sensor

Go get your 19.2 software ASAP
Old 10-26-2005, 11:29 PM

2006 750 M sport software upgrade

I just got Version 20.0 M sports software upgrade for the 2006 750 only, previously available exclusively in Germany. it has a new sexy lady voice with an engine enhancement that brings the torque up to 387 and horse power to 375 H.P
The navigation system can now input info by phone number and choose restaurants by cuisine.
Bluetooth now accepts PDA address book and will syncronize with laptops to play MP3 songs
The reverse rear camera feature now works in the U.S throught the NAV screen and the transmission sports mode allows to rev up to 7500 RPM, the 0-60 is improved to 5.4 sec, it feels faster than that.

Last edited by 2006_750Li_ED; 10-26-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:28 AM

I was just joking , there is no end to these software updates.....
Old 10-27-2005, 07:58 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy
..... The dealer has been trying to find a fix for an engine noise. They've told me on several trips in that they don't yet have a software upgrade to fix this one yet, and that they have had a few (but not many) instances of the same problem.

Here's what is happening: at low speeds (pulling into the garage), I get a "diesel" knock that rattles fairly loudly for several seconds, then subsides. It happens just when I touch the gas on and will stay on as the car moves at idle. It also occurs when travelling around 20-30, letting off the gas, then gently putting it back on (as in stop and go traffic). People look over to see what is making the awful noise (it sounds like a 1979 Peugeot diesel). Kind of embarrassing...it also has made knocking sounds when the car was hot and I went to speed up at freeway speeds.

Like I said, the dealer has checked it out (it isn't constant or always repeatable, so the first time in they said they couldn't hear anything) and assures me it is nothing mechanical that is loose, but that it is merely timing/software/fuel related. The car has 2500 miles on it now and it is getting quite annoying not finding the source of this problem.....
May I suggest that you get in touch w/ speedracerF4i He is a bimmerfest member here.

Your symptoms sounds similar, albeit not the same engine 545 vs 550, they nevertheless are both valvetronic engines.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=15680&hl=

Good luck,

beewang
Old 10-28-2005, 12:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to mfeeney05
Mein Auto: '06 750Li, '04 Volvo XC90
Quote:
I just got Version 20.0 M sports software upgrade for the 2006 750 only, previously available exclusively in Germany. it has a new sexy lady voice with an engine enhancement that brings the torque up to 387 and horse power to 375 H.P
The navigation system can now input info by phone number and choose restaurants by cuisine.
Bluetooth now accepts PDA address book and will syncronize with laptops to play MP3 songs
The reverse rear camera feature now works in the U.S throught the NAV screen and the transmission sports mode allows to rev up to 7500 RPM, the 0-60 is improved to 5.4 sec, it feels faster than that.
Is there really a v 20.0? Or are you just joking?
Martin
Old 10-28-2005, 07:57 PM

Please look at the post that followed my fantasy version 20.
the point was that there will never be an end to these software updates, and ath the cost of not seeing the car for 3 days it is not worth getting every update, perhaps once every 6 months or so.
I am sure that there will be a version 20 whithin 3 months, but I am sure that none of the features I dreamed of will be available.....
Old 10-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I was just joking , there is no end to these software updates.....
Damn. I was looking forward to that update next week. I'll settle for the extra HP.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:20 AM

Perhaps if enough of us would express our wishes BMW might consider them.

Improving the navigation system to be equivalet to its Japanese competitors should not be a dream.
On my wife's $40,000 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE limited with navigation she has many features that my BMW 750Li does not have:
1) Rear reverse camera through the NAV screen
2) Standard feature : LAser Cruise control
3) input destination by phone number. for example if you have a restaurant's phone number you can input it and the NAV system will find the restaurant.
4) She has all the local businesses in the database, not just hotels restaurants and supermarkets. The Toyota will have every business listed in the yellow pages.

5) The Toyota has the ability to choose screen colors, a feature taken off since 2002

6) Inputing information is easier, you get a touch screen keyboard, so if you want to input an adress you just press the correct letters without turning the i-Drive knob for each letter. The Sienna also completes the sentence and makes available the desirable characters. Perhaps if we got a retracting keyboard just like the Phone retracting keyboard in the 7 series...

7) The Navigation has a mode that actually draws the real shapes of every building from a satellite photo, it is not quite like a photo, but the drawing is made in relation to a real photo.

Now remember that we are talking about a Toyota minivan...... that retails for $40,000 I would expect a BMW $85,000 car to have more features, if I had to add the laser cruise control and the DVD entertainment package to my 750 it would be a $90,000 car.....
If we consider the cost of building the $90,000 car compared to Toyota's cost of building a $40,000 car I am sure that BMW is pocketing a LOT more $$$$$ in % of the cost.

So why would they be cheap and not invest in a better navigation system?

All the features that I mentioned are also available on a $25,000 Honda and on a Nissan Maxima.

Since we all love BMWs and we all plan on buying our future cars from BMW, I expect BMW to listen to its customers and deliver what customers want, we do not mind paying double to have the BMW badge, but we expect it to have the ulimate gadgets for this price.

Last edited by 2006_750Li_ED; 10-29-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the update, G750...glad to hear your problem has gone away (mine hasn't!).

So, what I am wondering is this: Did the dealership believe the 19.2 upgrade was going to fix the problem or did they sort of just give it a try to see what would happen? I ask because my dealer, along with the regional head, plus BMW North America, tell me that the problem I have will not be fixed by the 19.2 upgrade. They tell me I have to wait another 2 months for a proper software upgrade. I suspect they don't want to even try the 19.2 since they don't know if it will work, and then they would be on record (from a lemon-law standpoint) as having tried to, but failed to fix it. I had taken the car to a second dealer who, once he realized what our issue was, refused to even take it in for evaluation. Said he couldn't help me and that I should take it to the dealership where I bought it.

Un-freakin-believable.

When I bought this 750Li for my wife, I was planning on adding the new M5 to our garage later this year, but I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another BMW based on the maintenance and service (or lack thereof) I have receieved on this car.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:37 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy
Thanks for the update, G750...glad to hear your problem has gone away (mine hasn't!).

So, what I am wondering is this: Did the dealership believe the 19.2 upgrade was going to fix the problem or did they sort of just give it a try to see what would happen? I ask because my dealer, along with the regional head, plus BMW North America, tell me that the problem I have will not be fixed by the 19.2 upgrade. They tell me I have to wait another 2 months for a proper software upgrade. I suspect they don't want to even try the 19.2 since they don't know if it will work, and then they would be on record (from a lemon-law standpoint) as having tried to, but failed to fix it. I had taken the car to a second dealer who, once he realized what our issue was, refused to even take it in for evaluation. Said he couldn't help me and that I should take it to the dealership where I bought it.

Un-freakin-believable.

When I bought this 750Li for my wife, I was planning on adding the new M5 to our garage later this year, but I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another BMW based on the maintenance and service (or lack thereof) I have receieved on this car.
Dave, I do not understand why you have to go through all of this. Simply go to the dealer who sold you the car, go to the sales manager and tell him that you want him to personally take care of this problem and that you want an appropriate comprable car as a loaner.
Leave the car at the dealership until they tell you that it is fixed. BMW has regional expert service people who come to dealerships in distress, so the dealership might try to time this person with your appointment.
It is absolotely BMW's problem and not yours, and they WILL find a way to fix it.
If it was a software upgrade problem then all the 750's would have the same problem until the uprgade was available, obviously this is not the case, so you are a victim the the BMW maintnance system.... there is notn, all they know is hoe to update software.... I have a feeling that you did not insist and that perhaps the problem is not that big if it does not repeat itself.