Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-19-2002, 06:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Differential?

I read a post over on the .org by someone who heards a loud whine at 70mph. Says it's the rear differential. My car has a drone or whine at 70mph. I mentioned this to the dealer last time I was by, and the mechanic said that this was the air intake (VANOS), and that this was normal.

Is this true? Does anyone else who has a 325 hear this whine or drone at around 70mph? I have an oil change coming up, and if this isn't normal, would be a good op to get this checked out....
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2002, 07:19 AM
pimpee

Send a message via AIM to LilEccentricJ
Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Duramax Diesel
Re: Differential?

Quote:
Originally posted by geomax
I read a post over on the .org by someone who heards a loud whine at 70mph. Says it's the rear differential. My car has a drone or whine at 70mph. I mentioned this to the dealer last time I was by, and the mechanic said that this was the air intake (VANOS), and that this was normal.

Is this true? Does anyone else who has a 325 hear this whine or drone at around 70mph? I have an oil change coming up, and if this isn't normal, would be a good op to get this checked out....
I have the same issue (although dull) at about that speed but only when I am not accelerating or deceleration (very brief moment of neutral power). From what I understand there is a TSB out for this where the dealer will install an isolation bushing between the diff. and the body to reduce the noise heard but that the noise is actually normal and within spec. I accept it because, after having many FWD cars, at least I have an occasional reminder that I now have a RWD car and I can also monitor the loudness over time making sure it doesn't get worse.

New Sig SOON!!! Just need to find time to make an 11 MB flashing sig file for my new truck
Does anyone rememeber my BMW?
Old 01-19-2002, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 325
geez, i thought only locking diffs. had this problem....

i've had this problem in a jeep Grand Cherokee (4 dealer visits). the problem is so bad there that jeep switched vendors from dana to somebody else.

and i had a sporadic problem with the rear diff. in the m coupe, but that magically went away (noise) when redline diff. fluid was switched in for OEM bmw fluid.

and now regular e46's.....(sighs).
Old 01-19-2002, 08:49 AM
pimpee

Send a message via AIM to LilEccentricJ
Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Duramax Diesel
Re: geez, i thought only locking diffs. had this problem....

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdawg
... regular e46's.....(sighs).
"regular" e46's??? Hmmm

New Sig SOON!!! Just need to find time to make an 11 MB flashing sig file for my new truck
Does anyone rememeber my BMW?
Old 01-19-2002, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 325
yeah. regular.

i didn't think BMW deigned we "regular" E46 owners high enough on their list to include locking differentials.

nate 328 has explored this issue profusely.

even though it would add weight, i would prefer to have a locking diff. in our 325xiT. it's regular, but it runs on premium.