Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-12-2005, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6sp SP
How soon can I go to redline?

My think I'm almost done "breaking in" my new 05 330ci. I have about 1100 miles on it. The salesperson said I can drive it like I normally would from the get go. The service guy said not to take it to redline right away but to go ahead and drive fast. My question is how soon can I take it to redline and not be worried about doing anything to the engine. So far I stop at about 4000-4500 rpm. Can I take it to redline now or is there more "breaking in" to do? I love everything about the car so far.
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2005, 08:32 AM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Send a message via MSN to sunnykk Send a message via Yahoo to sunnykk
Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP
I think the owner's manual says 1500 miles. After that anything is game. My dealer told me that the car gets really smooth after about 10,000 miles not sure what that means.
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged

Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykk
I think the owner's manual says 1500 miles. After that anything is game. My dealer told me that the car gets really smooth after about 10,000 miles not sure what that means.
At this point (1100 mi.), it`s not harmful to BRIEFLY buzz it up to redline for *a second or two* in the lower three gears. As for the dealer`s "10,000 mile" remark, if your car has had synthetic oil *only* since new, it will not really be broken-in (i.e. "loosened up") until approximately the 10K mark....this is the main reason why I`ve always broken in new engines on dino oil for the first 3000 miles, then switching back to synthetic (but that`s *another* story.... :-)

Regards,
Bob
Old 10-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykk
You will notice the differnce when you hit 10K. I found that my car hit the "sweet spot" at around 30K. It accelerated better, ran smoother/quieter, and got better gas mileage at that time.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: Miata
Break-in

1400-1500 miles is safe. Before that you should not exceed 4500 rpm's. ANYONE who tells you otherwise is giving you bad advice. Break-in period is very real. After that period just let the car warm-up a bit, then you can drive it like a bat outta hell. That engine's made to run. Good luck.

sparky
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Send a message via MSN to sunnykk Send a message via Yahoo to sunnykk
Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob
At this point (1100 mi.), it`s not harmful to BRIEFLY buzz it up to redline for *a second or two* in the lower three gears. As for the dealer`s "10,000 mile" remark, if your car has had synthetic oil *only* since new, it will not really be broken-in (i.e. "loosened up") until approximately the 10K mark....this is the main reason why I`ve always broken in new engines on dino oil for the first 3000 miles, then switching back to synthetic (but that`s *another* story.... :-)

Regards,
Bob

My oil is stock. I am guessing that its synthetic. I guess I am going to have to wait to the 10,000 mile mark or may be more to see how much smoother it gets.

My gas mileage is lousy (I think) If I drive hard (which is the most fun) its about 18 in the city. If I drive relaxed I get about 21-22 city.
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged

Old 10-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
If you read the manual you'd know...1250 miles, do not exceed 100mph or 4500rpms. Page 112, plain and simple.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
And there's a reason it's called a "redline" and not a "shift point." When you hit redline you have reached the highest safe rpm for that particular engine. I used to rev to redline --- and I used to replace rod bearings fairly often, too. Now I don't push it quite that far and my engines last much longer. However, it's your car, drive it as you wish.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 10-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout
1400-1500 miles is safe. Before that you should not exceed 4500 rpm's. ANYONE who tells you otherwise is giving you bad advice. Break-in period is very real. After that period just let the car warm-up a bit, then you can drive it like a bat outta hell. That engine's made to run. Good luck.

sparky
After all is said and done, common sense must rule the day....there is no "magic threshold" that is lifted at 1400 miles, 1250 miles, or whatever....at the 1100+ mile mark, assuming an *average* of 2000 RPMs,your engine has completed somewhere between two and three MILLION revolutions....and if you`ve been a good boy and employing the wise strategy of varying the engine load and RPM, so much the better....it`s time to start having a little FUN with your BMW. I would NEVER advocate BDFYV (Blatant Disregard For Your Vehicle)...."Drive it like you stole it" is indeed bad advice. You are correct in your assumption that break-in is important....but an agressive (NOT abusive!) break-in will yield a great-running engine. Some people seem to have a penchant for finding the breaking point of everything they own (and believe me, everything has one!) If you are one of these people, be prepared to pay for the error of your ways....

Regards,
Bob