Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 03 M3 Coupe
What would be a good deal on this m3??

I got a quote for a 03 silver grey, 11k miles with winter and premium pkg, 19" HK sound, moonroof, I guess pretty much loaded without Navi. Asking price is 46k. Edmund is listing for about the same price (couple hundreds more).

I know it can't be talked down too much due to the relatively low milage and the package. So how much do you guys think a good deal would be for this car?
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
One dollar.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Mein Auto: 2003 Audi A4 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvscorp
I got a quote for a 03 silver grey, 11k miles with winter and premium pkg, 19" HK sound, moonroof, I guess pretty much loaded without Navi. Asking price is 46k. Edmund is listing for about the same price (couple hundreds more).

I know it can't be talked down too much due to the relatively low milage and the package. So how much do you guys think a good deal would be for this car?
If it's used, it can be talked down.

Just walk in saying "I want this car, and I want you to sell it to me today!"

Trust me they always change their tune if they can make a quick sale, but make SURE you are armed with the right information. Go to Galves.com (you will have to pay $10 or something) and see how much the car would go for there, and then get the TMV pricing from Edmunds and figure somewhere between is a safe spot.

There's 4.9% financing on used BMWs right now as I recall, so keep that in mind when making your decision and GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: .
$38,500
Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
I paid $47500 for my 2003 CPO when it was only 7 months/7K miles old, $46K is wishful thinking. Try more like $38-42K max.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 AM

frankly, $38500 is really on the low side and that'll be the great deal for sure. Just that I've never really bragined of a almost $8000 off deal. If I give the rep this price, he must be thinking that I am joking or something. Is it just bmw that has such a high mark up and the car indeed doesn't worth as much?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: boxster s, camary
40k is a good price.....i wouldnt pay much more
Old 10-13-2005, 05:35 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Arrange financing through your bank. Sit in front of him and write a check for $38,500 and if they stall, tear it up. You WILL ge ttheir attention.

And they negotiate with the F&I, they WANT you to finance through them.

If you can't handle it, the asking price is a good price for YOU.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 10-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Sit in front of him and write a check for $38,500 and if they stall, tear it up.
Personally I find such negotiating games childish. If someone is sitting in front of me, they are, by definition, a serious buyer. Showing how skillful they are at writing big checks then tearing them up just makes me think they're playing games.

If it were me, I'd determine what's the most I'd pay for that car. Then I'd offer about 10% less than that (gotta give yourself a chance to get lucky). Then work with them until you a) get the car at or below what you set for yourself or b) walk away.

Last edited by philippek; 10-13-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:23 PM

I am going to pay cash for the car may be that'll help a little bit on the price too? So $38,500 won't be a ridiculous price for this compare to what they've asked for ($8000 more)
Old 10-15-2005, 05:39 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek
Personally I find such negotiating games childish. If someone is sitting in front of me, they are, by definition, a serious buyer. Showing how skillful they are at writing big checks then tearing them up just makes me think they're playing games.

If it were me, I'd determine what's the most I'd pay for that car. Then I'd offer about 10% less than that (gotta give yourself a chance to get lucky). Then work with them until you a) get the car at or below what you set for yourself or b) walk away.
I guess you never worked in the car selling business? Few sales managers like to see money leave the showroom.

Negotiating on vehicles IS childish.

You can trying being up front, and just telling the sales person you are willing to pay X amount for the car, and if they say no, walk away. But that is being just as childish.

BTW most sales managers will want the sales person to bump you on price at least once. So always offer a bit less than you are actually willing to pay, that way everyone is happy in the end.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 10-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
I guess you never worked in the car selling business? Few sales managers like to see money leave the showroom.

Negotiating on vehicles IS childish.

You can trying being up front, and just telling the sales person you are willing to pay X amount for the car, and if they say no, walk away. But that is being just as childish.

BTW most sales managers will want the sales person to bump you on price at least once. So always offer a bit less than you are actually willing to pay, that way everyone is happy in the end.
Actually I'm the Internet Sales Manager at a very large BMW dealership. I've been in the business 4 years.

Any negotiation can get childish, but I think that really depends on what both parties are bringing to the table. Personally I attribute my success to my straight forward and direct approach with my customers. Most appreciate it. Clearly some, like you, do not.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:43 PM
M Mad

Actually I DO appreciate a straight forward approach. You can ask the client advisor I bought my M3 from, and then helped him sell some additonal 3 -4 M3s and recently an M5.

Also the sales man who sold me my '85 Dodge Daytona, and that I helped him sell several other cars also. And the dealership that I have bought two Jeeps from, and sent MANY other customers to.

But VERY few in the business like that. And when I was it the buisness, I was mainly like that, as long as the customer treated me up front and reasonably.

But in most cases, you have to either have excellent negotiating skills (which very few customers do), or play games, or you will not get the best deal.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Motor Head

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
You say negotiating is childish? I say it's smart. (Since when do children negotiate about money anyway?)

Ask the billionaire Donald Trump if he thinks negotiating is "childish?" He has it mastered. How do you think people make millions? By negotiating, saving, having a smart business sense. ..You just don't throw money away.

Remember, everything is negotiable. Money talks, you know the rest.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:12 PM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneydumper
You say negotiating is childish? I say it's smart. (Since when do children negotiate about money anyway?)

Ask the billionaire Donald Trump if he thinks negotiating is "childish?" He has it mastered. How do you think people make millions? By negotiating, saving, having a smart business sense. ..You just don't throw money away.

Remember, everything is negotiable. Money talks, you know the rest.

And if you don't want to do it, I can take my business and moeny elsewhere.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
I am going to pay cash for the car may be that'll help a little bit on the price too? So $38,500 won't be a ridiculous price for this compare to what they've asked for ($8000 more)

no, if they know you're paying cash they'll be even less likely to deal
Old 10-18-2005, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: M3 SMG, 540, Porsche 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinheitsgebot
no, if they know you're paying cash they'll be even less likely to deal
Could be true. Most dealers here in the UK are "in bed" with a finance company.
They don't want your cash. They want you to sign up for finance, they then get a kick back from the fiinance company. Some dealers will sell at cost, because they have factored in the kick back, but they wont do the same deal for cash.

Rob

Last edited by Robbed666; 10-18-2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
I'd offer $40k.

It's a 2003. If it were a 04, I would pony up the $45k.

I don't know about NJ, but here in CA we have a 9% used-vehicle tax. Factoring that into the overall budget, I really wouldn't feel like it is "a good deal" unless it was $5k or so below market.

Just my opinion. I ended up buying my '05 because I got it below invoice and it was at the point where "I couldn't let a good deal go."

ktc
Old 10-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
40k max, with a written guarantee that the car was never wrecked, and have the check to make sure this car was not one of the ones with engine problems.

I heard some 03's had engine issues as well.

List price on a new base M3 is 46,

I would also check used M3 inventory in your area, here in San Diego, we have a lot of new and used on the market.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:

One other thing to consider. This is an 03, when did it actually hit the street? Late 2002?

Assuming late 2002 the car was sold, and this is late 2005, even with CPO, you are only getting a 3 year warranty.

I would look for a newer cpo, or find a nice non-cpo for about 5-10k less.

A better dealer might be to find an 04/05 from private party, and enjoy a lower cost vehicle, at a lower price, with a longer warranty.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:59 AM

I've checked all bmw dealer that's some one close to me up till 50 miles so far and could only locate 4 used m3s including one in question. The other 3 are all 02s, one has 27k miles and the other two has about 40k miles, they all asking for $40,000.

I'll soon get to see and test drive the car. I'll see how much the dealer is willing to drop on this one. I guess I'll aim for the high 30 and low 40 then. So far based on the previous 2 car buying experience, it seems dealers liked cash deal more. I guess it depends on the dealers then.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:13 AM

Based on the carfax, this car got shipped to US in late July, 03 with 7 miles on it. It's orignal coverage is 48months/50k miles, so it's still got about 1 year left on it.

Here is something that sounds suspicious, since the purchase of the car 8/29/03 till 1/26/04 it has gone through 3 services and then no more record. The last service/odo reading was on 01/26/04 Not sure what went out, may be it's been wrecked and took a long time to repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
One other thing to consider. This is an 03, when did it actually hit the street? Late 2002?

Assuming late 2002 the car was sold, and this is late 2005, even with CPO, you are only getting a 3 year warranty.

I would look for a newer cpo, or find a nice non-cpo for about 5-10k less.

A better dealer might be to find an 04/05 from private party, and enjoy a lower cost vehicle, at a lower price, with a longer warranty.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Based on the carfax, this car got shipped to US in late July, 03 with 7 miles on it. It's orignal coverage is 48months/50k miles, so it's still got about 1 year left on it.

Here is something that sounds suspicious, since the purchase of the car 8/29/03 till 1/26/04 it has gone through 3 services and then no more record. The last service/odo reading was on 01/26/04 Not sure what went out, may be it's been wrecked and took a long time to repair?
Possible, but I doubt it. I reputable dealer would not make a wrecked bimmer a CPO, they would normally wholsale them off, or just sell them as used.

They can and will provide a statement that shows the car was not salvage, wrecked, lemon law, or painted (at all), more the likely they will be minor painting due to road chips, dings, etc.

I would not be worried about three services.

1. Service one, I believe the M3 get a qucik check and oil change at 2500 miles,
2. The second service might have been for some glitch to repair.
3. The third is probably the dealer CPO'ing the car and they might have change the oil or something.

Typical oil change on these cars is every 15k, but some folks opt for more frequent changes.

Car fax only tells you what a reputable dealer has reported. If I wreck my car, and take it to Joe's auto body, and not report it to insurance, the possibility exists where the damage will not show up on the carfax report.

Again, sign letter from dealer, this common practice, the require you to sign a doc when you trade a car in about the odometer, wrecked history, etc, you should do the same,

even on a presumably new car.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: Evo VIII
Quote:
I've checked all bmw dealer that's some one close to me up till 50 miles so far and could only locate 4 used m3s including one in question. The other 3 are all 02s, one has 27k miles and the other two has about 40k miles, they all asking for $40,000.

I'll soon get to see and test drive the car. I'll see how much the dealer is willing to drop on this one. I guess I'll aim for the high 30 and low 40 then. So far based on the previous 2 car buying experience, it seems dealers liked cash deal more. I guess it depends on the dealers then.

silvscorp:

give this a try, I know it is fair from you , however it may be worth your time

http://www.luxurymotors.com/search.php
make=BMW&model=M3&syear=1950&eyear=2005&location=

take care,
Old 10-18-2005, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the link, too bad they are located in IL, at least that's what they say on their site. Due to many reasons I'd like to purchase from some place that I can get to. I am also concentrated on bmw dealers is because I have a car in mind that I want to do trade-in. Yeah, I know i'll loose money on that but that's a different story.