Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: soon to be a 535i
Converting from German Spec to US Spec

My husband lives in germany, and he has a 1991 535i. We were hoping to bring it back to the states later this year, and possibly convert it to US Spec. Does anyone have any suggestions of where/who to go to, and how much this generally costs?
Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2005, 06:40 PM
On the HI-Way of Life

Mein Auto: '94 540i, '03 330Xi
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

ask your question there
Old 03-24-2007, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: e36 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrollthea View Post
My husband lives in germany, and he has a 1991 535i. We were hoping to bring it back to the states later this year, and possibly convert it to US Spec. Does anyone have any suggestions of where/who to go to, and how much this generally costs?
Thanks!
hi i was just wondering if you findout anything yet im want do the same for my 325i
Old 03-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Autobahn animal

Mein Auto: 1992 535M/1988 530I
I currently reside in Germany

I live in Germany and I have asked about conversions before. I was told that it would cost about 1700 Euro to convert my car 1992 535i to american specs, basically all you have to change is the dash to read mph. The rest of the money is for the inspections and fees. It is just anotherbfamous German govt. rip off to the US military.

It is not that bad for cars newer than 1990, but was told that it is a lot more expensive for the older ones because you have to change all the glass and some suspension work.

Good luck and if you find out something different than what I just said, please post so I can get a second oppinion.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540 & 525iT
It's just not worth the expense. You can find any E34 you could possibly want, with a few exceptions, in the US without going through all the hassle. I was military in Germany back in the eighties and brought a German spec Mercedes back. Even back then when EPA waivers were available it still cost be $600 for shipping and $3000 for the conversion. That was after posting a $40k bond first! No way would I do it under todays import guidelines.

Paul
Old 03-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Autobahn animal

hey Paul

Good to meet you friend.

Whats the deal on a 40k bond? I haven't been told about that.

When did you ship your car stateside, what year?

I am just trying to figure out whether it really is not worth it. I have the nicest 1992 BMW I have ever seen. I purchased it from a dealer that owned the car since new and he showed the car professionally. I would hate to know that I could not take this car with me. I am scheduled to PCS within a year and really want to bring this car with me.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman View Post
Good to meet you friend.

Whats the deal on a 40k bond? I haven't been told about that.

When did you ship your car stateside, what year?

I am just trying to figure out whether it really is not worth it. I have the nicest 1992 BMW I have ever seen. I purchased it from a dealer that owned the car since new and he showed the car professionally. I would hate to know that I could not take this car with me. I am scheduled to PCS within a year and really want to bring this car with me.

Any info would be appreciated.
I brought the Mercedes back in 1985. Yeah I know, a long time ago. The bond was because the car was shipped back to the states in a non-conforming (EPA & DOT) condition. The premis was if you couldn't bring the car up to US specs within a certain timeframe, I think it was 90 days back then, then you had to either send the car back to Germany or have it confiscated (crunched) and forfit the bond. Back then there were all sorts of businesses in Germany that were owned by Americans that would ship the cars back to the US and do the conversion. The Mercedes required reinforced door beams, reinforced bumpers, US headlights, US dash, seat belts, and a EPA waiver was available so the engine didn't have to meet emissions standards in the US.

I'd recommend finding as much info as you can about current import guidelines for non-US spec cars and go from there. There are subtle differences between euro and US BMW engines so that just bolting on US emissions parts may not work. It sounds like just a lot of work to go through nice car or not. The car I did leave back in Germany when I PCS's was a 1974 Bitter CD, super rare German built custom car of which only 390 were built. I had number 00010. American Corvette engine and transmission with Opel Diplomat differential. It was just too big a gamble to import and hope someone could legally do a proper conversion. It broke my heart to leave it. Seems like maybe your predicament.

I currently have a 92 525i Touring, H&R sport springs, Bilsteins, M3 S52 engine, euro headlights, M5 side panels and front & rear bumpers. also M5 euro instrument cluster, M5 staggered 17" wheels, and M3 steering wheel. Pretty sweet little car if I don't mind saying so myself.
Paul
Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Autobahn animal

Thanks for the info Paul.

I will check it out.

Your ride sounds sweet. Kick us some pics so we can all share. I am new to the BMW thing. My thing is classic american muscle. But when in Rome, you know the deal.

Plus, I am really blown away by how well this 535 I have performs and looks. These cars are something. But I will be back in the muscle game when I return from Germany.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman View Post
Thanks for the info Paul.

I will check it out.

Your ride sounds sweet. Kick us some pics so we can all share. I am new to the BMW thing. My thing is classic american muscle. But when in Rome, you know the deal.

Plus, I am really blown away by how well this 535 I have performs and looks. These cars are something. But I will be back in the muscle game when I return from Germany.
Here's a couple of pics for ya.

Paul