Un-freaking-believeable... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '15 435i M Sport Convert.
Angry Un-freaking-believeable...

Recently my dealer serviced my 435i to include an oil and filter change. Unfortunately it turned out that they did not properly torque the drain plug so as a result, about two weeks after the fact while I was on the road it backed completely out and in very short order all the oil departed. I was on the freeway and the "add engine oil" message appeared in the information center. Within a minute the message changed from amber to red and displayed "No Oil Pressure! Shut off engine immediately and contact Roadside Assistance!" As I was approaching an off-ramp I exited the freeway, pulled into a service station at the nearest corner, parked and shut it off. I was met by a rapidly expanding puddle of oil beneath the engine and oil splattered on the back and sides.

Roadside Assistance had a towing company there in 2Ĺ hours and got us to the local dealer. The next day they discovered the drain plug resting on the underbody pan and (surprise) virtually no oil left in the engine. They reinstalled the plug, changed the filter and saw no indication of metal contamination, serviced the oil and started the engine. It sounded fine but I told them I wasn't comfortable driving it away. By now I had been in touch with my local dealer, brought them up to speed and told them the same thing. They understood completely and made arrangements to have the vehicle transported back where they will get into the engine to ascertain the extent of damage.

Your thoughts? Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Nov 12, 11 54 31 AM.jpeg
Views:	441
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	708929  

Last edited by 767_Captain; 11-12-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Wow...

Avoiding things like this is exactly why someone takes the car to the dealer in the first place. I hope everything is ok with the car. I also hope if they find something wrong, they dont try to say "well that was two weeks ago, so we dont know what happened since then..." They shouldnt, but they could. Lets hope they dont.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
This was extremely unfortunate. If the engine still pulls for a few hundred yards and/or stays on for a few minutes, there probably will be considerable engine damage.

Do talk to the GM about this. Assuming there is no one else that touches the drain plug after the last dealer service, the dealer will need to step up on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 320i xdrive
Should be fine. If the oil had just come out like you described there should be no damages. An engine could run on the residual oil for longer than you might think without damaging.

Sent from my XT1585 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i x-drive F32
Same thing happened to a friend of mine with her Mitsubishi Lancer, was driving on the highway when the engine shut off completely. In her case the engine was a total loss and had to fight her insurance and dealership to buy her a new one. I really hope you're out of the woods.
Free maintenance on my 435 expires next year and I'm planning to do the oil changes myself, really hard to trust anyone these days.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 428i xdrive
Unfortunately, I'd expect that engine to be junk.

In my 428i the timing chain guide failed and got ground up into little pieces. These then proceeded to plug up the oil pick up tube and starved the engine of oil. The only indication I got was the "shut down engine immediately" (warning as you described) and I did just that.

My car was a 2014 428i with just over 20,000 miles; still under warranty. BMW NA replaced the engine after finding score marks on the crankshaft/rod bearings.

I'd get an attorney to write that dealership a letter of they don't go good for an engine replacement. Getting sued in court for something they obviously caused is last thing they want publicised.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-12-2017, 12:19 PM

The interesting thing is OP said the drain plug was completely unscrewed and rest on the underside panel. This sounds odd as it takes quite a few turns to fully remove the drain plug, even when the plug was not properly torqued.

If the drain plug is completely "dislodged", it will only take a few minutes to completely drain all oil(no residual oil left), and OP's picture in post#1 seems to indicate just that.

If the drain plus is not torqued correctly, the oil loss in those 2 weeks should be gradual, and OP should not have gotten a catastrophic "no oil pressure" red light on the freeway.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
The interesting thing is OP said the drain plug was completely unscrewed and rest on the underside panel. This sounds odd as it takes quite a few turns to fully remove the drain plug, even when the plug was not properly torqued.

If the drain plug is completely "dislodged", it will only take a few minutes to completely drain all oil(no residual oil left), and OP's picture in post#1 seems to indicate just that.

If the drain plus is not torqued correctly, the oil loss in those 2 weeks should be gradual, and OP should not have gotten a catastrophic "no oil pressure" red light on the freeway.
The first indication I got was the "low engine oil" caution message just before the "No Oil Pressure!..." message. Your conclusions seem plausible. I know little about the specifics of this car's drain plug.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
@767_Captain; do you happen to know the hourly rate for your servicing A&P Mechanics, and how that compares with BMW Certified Technicians?

We had a pizza-ing contest with our inspectors once, and in retaliation they would not accept a lockwired fastener with the slightest nick or scraping of the SS lockwire. The mechanics used a twisting-pliers hand tool to twist the lockwire. I put on a couple of extra layers of cotton glove liners under my rubber gloves, taped the cuffs so that the red 'sweat' would not run out, and spent eighteen hours lockwiring a reactor head by hand, no tools, with no rejections.

"Quite a few turns," the sump drain on my 62 hp racing engine took just a few laps to come out, but I saved the engine.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
767_Captain; do you happen to know the hourly rate for your servicing A&P Mechanics, and how that compares with BMW Certified Technicians?...
Hmm...don't know. I'm headed out on the road tomorrow so when I speak to a mechanic I'll ask.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, R90/6, R60/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 767_Captain View Post
Hmm...don't know. I'm headed out on the road tomorrow so when I speak to a mechanic I'll ask.
I suspect that your main bearings are toast. A detailed oil analysis is the only way to tell without dismantling the engine.
But since any oil in your engine will be fresh you will have to wait a couple of thousand miles before you know. The only thing you can check today is your oil filter (if it hasnít been replace already), take out the filter element and store it in a safe place. If there are any shards of metal in the folds you know your engine needs to be rebuilt.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT View Post
I suspect that your main bearings are toast. A detailed oil analysis is the only way to tell without dismantling the engine.
But since any oil in your engine will be fresh you will have to wait a couple of thousand miles before you know. The only thing you can check today is your oil filter (if it hasnít been replace already), take out the filter element and store it in a safe place. If there are any shards of metal in the folds you know your engine needs to be rebuilt.
That's what I suspect as well.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMEX View Post
...BMW NA replaced the engine after finding score marks on the crankshaft/rod bearings.
So how exactly did that go? Did the dealership perform the engine change? I would have a hard time trusting them with something like that when they screwed up something as simple as an oil change. I've had many oil changes performed, not just by dealerships but by $19.95 "Jiffy Lube" down on the corner and never had this happen and yet this BMW dealership couldn't get it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMEX View Post
I'd get an attorney to write that dealership a letter of they don't go good for an engine replacement. Getting sued in court for something they obviously caused is last thing they want publicized.
Right there with you. I have one briefed and ready to do precisely that.

Last edited by 767_Captain; 11-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i M-sport 5spd
Best of luck on getting this resolved- if it were me Iíd be pushing for partial engine disassembly and inspection.

Iím a bit surprised you kept the motor running long enough to exit freeway and park after the Ďno oil pressureí warning...might have been better idea to get in right lane ASAP, shut off motor and pull onto shoulder.

Good luck/Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 11-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Iím a bit surprised you kept the motor running long enough to exit freeway and park after the Ďno oil pressureí warning...might have been better idea to get in right lane ASAP, shut off motor and pull onto shoulder.
Yes, I've considered that, trust me...
Old 11-12-2017, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i M-sport 5spd
The shop ought to at least pull the oil pan and valve cover to inspect the crankshaft and cams, bearings, etc.
good luck/Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 11-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrill View Post
Should be fine. If the oil had just come out like you described there should be no damages. An engine could run on the residual oil for longer than you might think without damaging.

Sent from my XT1585 using Bimmerfest mobile app
+1 - Iím in agreement with this. Based the the events as described it sounds unlikely the motor sustained damage.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Wow...

Avoiding things like this is exactly why someone takes the car to the dealer in the first place.

Nope. This is exactly why many of us do our own oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 11-12-2017, 03:19 PM

This is an interesting video of running engine without oil. Since drain plug was dislodged, the oil pan and crankcase would become dry quickly(how quick is quick?).

So the diagnostics should be to look for metal particles in the oil, and wear grooves on connecting rod caps and such.

Last edited by namelessman; 11-12-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 428i xdrive
Quote:
So how exactly did that go? Did the dealership perform the engine change? I would have a hard time trusting them with something like that when they screwed up something as simple as an oil change. I've had many oil changes performed, not just by dealerships but by $19.95 "Jiffy Lube" down on the corner and never had this happen and yet this BMW dealership couldn't get it right...

Right there with you. I have one briefed and ready to do precisely that.
The dealership swapped in a new engine (factory reman). I had to go back in a couple times for them to track down and fix a coolant leak but it all seems to be working well now after 3,500 miles. The dealer was excellent to work with but BMW NA had to authorize the initial warranty work.

I'd be concerned that the dealer takes a look at that engine and then says "everything's fine". There is no way that engine survived unscathed after running with no oil. I would personally want to inspect the crank, rod bearings, cylinders, turbo and valve train. Better yet, and after your inspection, get an independent mechanic working with your attorney to inspect their findings if they aren't going to replace it. A replacement with a factory reman (from the head to the oil sump) is the only way to ensue they don't skimp on the work that needs to be done.

This is not your problem. It is theirs. They need to keep you whole on the value and long term reliability of your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-12-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I would have a hard time trusting them with something like that when they screwed up something as simple as an oil change.
If engine swap is authorized there is no reason not to do it at dealer. It is such a big-ticket item that the best techs and foremen will be on the job, so no worries.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
Sounds like the lube tech spun the drain plug back in and before he could get it torqued got interrupted or sidetracked and it managed to leave the shop without being tightened. Possibility of engine damage would depend upon how long it was under power with no oil pressure. The first item to fail would be the rod bearings because they generate so much heat due to high pressures and high surface speeds; main bearings will be second to go. Residual oil on most other parts of the engine will help but not on the crankshaft bearings. At a bare minimum you should insist on pulling the pan and disassemble each rod to inspect the bearings and crankshaft journals.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Nope. This is exactly why many of us do our own oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

I dont see what that has to do with what I said. Sure, some people change their own oil, but for those that dont want to, or dont know how, thats why someone would take it to the dealer instead of jiffy lube or pep boys.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Your thoughts? Anyone?

Thought: Dealer carries liability insurance - you're good.

Thought: Happened to me! Not all oil leaked out after visit to Pennziol quick oil change - I just torqued w/new crush washer, added oil; drove another 100k mi. New owner cut the hard op off; made soft top convertible out of it.

Saw my ride at a movie theater parking lot....knew it by a thing on the upolstery I'd done....noted about 90k less miles on the OD than when I sold it....yep a model from the 80's.

Left my card in wiper asking how he rolled it back - had not realized he'd sold it after top install!

Har! Guess what goes around really does come around....
Old 11-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Recently my dealer serviced my 435i to include an oil and filter change. Unfortunately it turned out that they did not properly torque the drain plug so as a result, about two weeks after the fact while I was on the road it backed completely out and in very short order all the oil departed. I was on the freeway and the "add engine oil" message appeared in the information center. Within a minute the message changed from amber to red and displayed "No Oil Pressure! Shut off engine immediately and contact Roadside Assistance!" As I was approaching an off-ramp I exited the freeway, pulled into a service station at the nearest corner, parked and shut it off. I was met by a rapidly expanding puddle of oil beneath the engine and oil splattered on the back and sides.

Roadside Assistance had a towing company there in 2Ĺ hours and got us to the local dealer. The next day they discovered the drain plug resting on the underbody pan and (surprise) virtually no oil left in the engine. They reinstalled the plug, changed the filter and saw no indication of metal contamination, serviced the oil and started the engine. It sounded fine but I told them I wasn't comfortable driving it away. By now I had been in touch with my local dealer, brought them up to speed and told them the same thing. They understood completely and made arrangements to have the vehicle transported back where they will get into the engine to ascertain the extent of damage.

Your thoughts? Anyone?
Curious, why did you decide to take the time to back into the parking spot if you were in such a dire need to stop the car? seems like taking a little too much time for this. But sorry to hear about the oil coming out, wife had a car that this happened to while we were dating, car was shot. Dealer replaced the engine, but this happened within mins of leaving the dealer, not weeks.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search