Perma-coat - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Miata verte
Perma-coat

The dealership where I will hopefully will pick up my car this month apply a perma coat paint sealant protectant.I am afraid they will ruin the factory paint finish ,since it is free should I let them put it on,or tell them not to put it on ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Jeeez, the dealer is making money off of you. Thereís no such thing as ďperma coat.Ē I bet the dealer is applying a long lasting wax to the paint. My recommendation: donít do it. Learn how to properly take care of the carís paint and do it yourself.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 AM

Perma-coat

Well they won't be making money because they put it on for free when they detail your car before pickup, f and I try's to get you to buy the insurance plan ,I'm just wondering if I should let them apply it to my car before I get it, .I worry they may scratch or do something to the finish,and I'm concerned about when I can wax it with the snake oil being on there or am I going to have to strip it off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: M240i
Do you plan on getting a clear bra or a ceramic coating like Opti-Coat Pro Plus or Ceramic Pro or CQuartz? If so, definitely don't have the dealer apply anything for two reasons. One, do you trust them to do a decent job without creating paint swirls which will just have to be corrected before the clear bra goes on? And two, if you intend to have any of those two put on, whoever you get to put on the clear bra or ceramic coating will remove whatever wax you have on your car to begin with before applying them.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 PM

Perma coat

Well I bought my wife a Honda Civic sport touring for about 30k a few months ago ,when in f and I guys office he sold my wife on xzilon saying it would do all these wonderful things to protect the finish on her car,I couldn't reason with her she said yes,and in a half hour the car was already finished with the treatment.when we got home and parked in the garage under the light I was horrified to see the damage they had done to the hood,all kinds of swirl marks and pig tails.well to make a long story short she ended up having to have her hood repainted,that's why I'm so skeptical about letting BMW apply this perma coat which they do to all the cars for free.if they are giving it out for free it couldn't be worth much or last more than six months.so the question is should I let the shop boy buff this snake oil into my new finish or tell them not to touch it?

Last edited by greyhouse; 11-13-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: M240i
Sure sounds like it's not worth it. Honda doesn't seem trustworthy enough to put on a simple car wax, or whatever that stuff is, without wrecking the paint. I doubt BMW is capable of it either. It's definitely not a long-term solution like Ceramic Pro or Opti-Coat Pro Plus or even a do-it-yourself like R1, so I personally would not let them touch the car.

If you plan to get either a clear bra or ceramic paint protection, definitely do not let them apply that stuff. Otherwise, you're still taking a risk on whether they do a good job for very little to no gain.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Winding up the M235xi

Mein Auto: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma

Prior 40 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92
Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post

You so bad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-14-2017, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto:
OP, browse this and other forums to learn how to take care of the paint. The factory paint on my recently sold 2001 330Ci was a smooth as glass and shinier than the day the car left the factory. Why? Because I know how to take care of the paint. That means using the proper products and techniques to care for the paint. Some spray on stuff wonít cut it. Paint is like you skin: not properly caring for it will age it prematurely. IMHO
Old 11-14-2017, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
OP, browse this and other forums to learn how to take care of the paint. The factory paint on my recently sold 2001 330Ci was a smooth as glass and shinier than the day the car left the factory. Why? Because I know how to take care of the paint. That means using the proper products and techniques to care for the paint. Some spray on stuff wonít cut it. Paint is like you skin: not properly caring for it will age it prematurely. IMHO
^^^^^^ agreed
Old 11-14-2017, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhouse View Post
Well they won't be making money because they put it on for free when they detail your car before pickup, f and I try's to get you to buy the insurance plan ,I'm just wondering if I should let them apply it to my car before I get it, .I worry they may scratch or do something to the finish,and I'm concerned about when I can wax it with the snake oil being on there or am I going to have to strip it off
I hate to tell you, but a dealer will never do something for free. Yeah, you probably paid for the coating somewhere along the line.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 AM

Tru-coat

That was nothing short of truth being stranger than fiction.Hilarious.thanks for taking the time to post.haha.Just got off phone and told them not to apply it,they didn't even know it was arriving tomorrow after saying they are right on top of it and will call if they hear anything.What a world class buying experience this has been,now of to my good friend the f and I guy !

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search