Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 10-13-2005, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: boxster s, camary
m3 as a high mileage daily driver

how many owners use their m3 as a daily driver, with 20-25k miles a year driving, including highway commuting.....would the m3 be practical for this, would it hold up and would it be comfortable on the highway?
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scycle2020
how many owners use their m3 as a daily driver, with 20-25k miles a year driving, including highway commuting.....would the m3 be practical for this, would it hold up and would it be comfortable on the highway?
Well....in a year and a half, I've put 28K on mine, mostly highway. I haven't had any issues from a 'normal' maintenance perspective. A couple of flats, and recently a nice star in the windshield.

I've got SMG and running 19's.

Comfort is a very subjective thing. I've never really driven a comfy vehicle (Lexus or such) on a day to day basis. I have no real gripes about the M3. I could drive it all day long.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:56 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
That's what it's best at.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
I've had mine about around 2 years, already have 51K trouble free miles. The car is a pleasure to commute and travel in, no reason why it can't be a daily driver. I would suggest extended maintenance and warranty if you plan on keeping it past the original period.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbscott
I've had mine about around 2 years, already have 51K trouble free miles. The car is a pleasure to commute and travel in, no reason why it can't be a daily driver. I would suggest extended maintenance and warranty if you plan on keeping it past the original period.
We just took in a 2002 with 92k miles, and it stills runs great. I'd say that mileage isn't an issue for an M3 or any other BMW, as long as it is cared for.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 m3c
76000 on my m3C that I drice every day. I find it very comfy which is why I will not add sway bars or coilovers.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scycle2020
It just comes down to money. Putting that kind of mileage on an M3 is going to cost way more then doing it to a Civic. If you can afford it, or just desire it then do it.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to wolfman Send a message via MSN to wolfman Send a message via Yahoo to wolfman
Mein Auto: Impala LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
It just comes down to money. Putting that kind of mileage on an M3 is going to cost way more then doing it to a Civic. If you can afford it, or just desire it then do it.
I miss my old E34, and am looking for another Bimmer for a daily driver. LOVE driving and am thinking of the E46 M3, so this thread is just what I was looking for. However, my mileage to work (when I don't telecommute) is at least 170/day. I average >30K per year. Assuming that the car (like any BMW) will run well regardless of mileage assuming that it is "well" maintained, what kind of special maintenance will the M3 require? How often? Can you estimate avg monthly service costs at that daily mileage?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: '04 E46 M3 (6 sp)
I use mine daily... actually I use mine for everything from going to work, to running to Costco, to autocrossing, to track events, etc. I have 41k on an '04 (about a year a year and 6 months). I've purchased the maintenance extension and searching for warrantee extension. Since I do mostly highway travel, I get 23-24 mpg mixed driving and around 26mpg on the highway. This is my first BMW, if I'd known BMWs were like this, I would have gotten one much earlier.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetywork
I use mine daily... actually I use mine for everything from going to work, to running to Costco, to autocrossing, to track events, etc. I have 41k on an '04 (about a year a year and 6 months). I've purchased the maintenance extension and searching for warrantee extension. Since I do mostly highway travel, I get 23-24 mpg mixed driving and around 26mpg on the highway. This is my first BMW, if I'd known BMWs were like this, I would have gotten one much earlier.
Why don't you get a cheaper car and modify it for track duty?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Why don't you get a cheaper car and modify it for track duty?
Autocrosses and track events are a hobby, I don't intend to get serious (although I have a blast). One of the reason for getting the M was so I can use it daily and for my weekend excursions. Besides, it's more fun to be able to swap tires, re-adjust the dampening on my coilovers and drive home then to tow it home. To me, that's what the "M" stands for. It would be a shame if I were to use the M only as my daily commute car, I can't use any of what the M has to offer on the public street without getting a ticket or even worse, hurting someone.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 PM
This side up.

Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Autocrosses and track events are a hobby, I don't intend to get serious (although I have a blast). One of the reason for getting the M was so I can use it daily and for my weekend excursions. Besides, it's more fun to be able to swap tires, re-adjust the dampening on my coilovers and drive home then to tow it home. To me, that's what the "M" stands for. It would be a shame if I were to use the M only as my daily commute car, I can't use any of what the M has to offer on the public street without getting a ticket or even worse, hurting someone.

Mine is also a daily driver. It is a perfect car for the combo of daily driving, weekend excursions, and track events. I've been having a blast with it.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
I agree with everything you said except for one thing. I think the M3 should be a daily driver with very light track use. I just think it's too expensive and too luxurious for constant track duty. The M3 is what all BMW's should be IMO. Everyone thinks that BMW's are fast, that's the perception by J.Q. Public, but I think that the only BMW's which are truely fast are the M cars. If you have the money to run your M3 at the track all the time then, more power to you.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I agree with everything you said except for one thing. I think the M3 should be a daily driver with very light track use. I just think it's too expensive and too luxurious for constant track duty. The M3 is what all BMW's should be IMO. Everyone thinks that BMW's are fast, that's the perception by J.Q. Public, but I think that the only BMW's which are truely fast are the M cars. If you have the money to run your M3 at the track all the time then, more power to you.
Too luxurious is true but expensive? Thus far, with the exception of fuel and tires, the maintenance hasn't cost me. Or should I say, prepaid as part of buying the car. The 4yr/50k warrantee and maintenance program has been great! I've just recently extended my maintenance program to 6yr/100k mile for a mere $1,300. A brake job and one oil change would cover that, not to mention the upcoming 60k service. Now once I pass the 100k marker..... that's a different story.

But as I've stated before, I only use the M for autocrosses and weekend track events. Track events happen maybe 4 times a year while the autocrosses come around once every 2 months or so. I think that qualifies for "light track duty" don't you? I am looking into installing the Turner Motorsports reinforcement to the rear subframe seperation issue.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3

Mine is also a daily driver. It is a perfect car for the combo of daily driving, weekend excursions, and track events. I've been having a blast with it.
I like what the Chinese character means.... I think.

I'm glad some of us are using the E46 M for what it's intended purpose.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Too luxurious is true but expensive? Thus far, with the exception of fuel and tires, the maintenance hasn't cost me. Or should I say, prepaid as part of buying the car. The 4yr/50k warrantee and maintenance program has been great! I've just recently extended my maintenance program to 6yr/100k mile for a mere $1,300. A brake job and one oil change would cover that, not to mention the upcoming 60k service. Now once I pass the 100k marker..... that's a different story.

But as I've stated before, I only use the M for autocrosses and weekend track events. Track events happen maybe 4 times a year while the autocrosses come around once every 2 months or so. I think that qualifies for "light track duty" don't you? I am looking into installing the Turner Motorsports reinforcement to the rear subframe seperation issue.
If the dealer determines the car is used for track all of your warranty's will be void. I'm not sure if the maintenace program covers that either.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Which is?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:20 PM
This side up.

Quote:
I like what the Chinese character means.... I think.

Thanks. I been pretty happy with this car. 8000 miles in the last two months!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:23 PM
This side up.

Quote:
If the dealer determines the car is used for track all of your warranty's will be void. I'm not sure if the maintenace program covers that either.
I don't believe that this is exactly true. I know people who track their car and get brakes and such replaced under the maintenance program.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:24 PM
This side up.

Quote:
Which is?
Drive it like you stole it and enjoy the $hit out of it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
I don't believe that this is exactly true. I know people who track their car and get brakes and such replaced under the maintenance program.
Really? That might change my mind then.
Quote:
Drive it like you stole it and enjoy the $hit out of it.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:18 AM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Soon!
Quote:
This depends on the light in which the dealership looks upon these events...
Old 10-19-2005, 08:33 PM

Quote:
So far so good.... 41k miles and just got my service done.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Which is?
Light track duty and daily driven vs. garage queen.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I been pretty happy with this car. 8000 miles in the last two months!
LOL.... You'll catch up to me in no time! I've got 41k (42k by Friday) and I got the car last April. If I wasn't traveling so much, I'd probably have closer to 50k miles.