Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

View Poll Results: How high do you feel someone's salary should be before purchasing a new 05/06 M3?
0 - 50K 21 5.63%
50K - 65K 28 7.51%
65k - 80K 50 13.40%
80K - 100K 96 25.74%
100K - 120K 71 19.03%
120K and up 107 28.69%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-03-2005, 09:55 PM
jetstream23 jetstream23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,229
Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Well, based on some of these posts I could afford 2 M3's...maybe a coupe and convertible but honestly, I would not want to put myself in that situation. Although I love my car and I needed 4 doors unfortunately, I know that automobiles are depreciating assets and borrowing money to buy something that decreases in value over time does give me a hollow feeling in my stomach. Although I wouldn't say that car loans are "bad debt" like credit cards or personal loans, they aren't really "good debt" either like mortgages or education loans. They probably fall somewhere in the middle simply because cars fulfill an essential need....transportation.

I am quite conservative however and half my family is in the Financial Services industry so I was taught about the time-value of money when I first started getting allowances as a kid. Ultimately, its up to each individual to decide how to allocate their money. And, to the degree that your car is more than just transportation and is a significant hobby and source of enjoyment for you, it can be justified that you might spend more. Just don't kid yourself about your real financial situation. Determine a budget for your car as IF it were only transportation and then take some of the money that you would use for entertainment and other hobbies on a monthly basis and add it to you car funds if that's how you feel about it. Okay, I'm off the
__________________
2005 330i | ZHP, Xenons, Jet Black/Natural Brown (Black Cube)

Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-03-2005, 10:52 PM
BahnBaum's Avatar
BahnBaum BahnBaum is offline
Empowered Consumer
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,043
Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
If my wife and I both made over 100K a year and didn't have any kids to worry about I'd be driving something a *little* more expensive then the M3. You either have some serious debt or worship money in the bank if with 200K/year and no kids you can "justify" an M3.
That's silly. Some people may prioritize other things like serious investing, vacation homes, boat, traveling, or other expensive hobbies before their car choices. It doesn't mean that you have debt issues or that you worship money in the bank. Which is why this question is impossible to answer.

Alex
__________________
Interrobanged.

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!


Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Moderato's Avatar
Moderato Moderato is offline
Praetorian
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,070
Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
That's silly. Some people may prioritize other things like serious investing, vacation homes, boat, traveling, or other expensive hobbies before their car choices. It doesn't mean that you have debt issues or that you worship money in the bank. Which is why this question is impossible to answer.

Alex
What I said is not silly, and if you paid attention to the wording you would have to agree. If you make 200K+ per year and you have no kids, there is no way you would have to "justify" an M3, and that's a fact.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-04-2005, 05:49 AM
BahnBaum's Avatar
BahnBaum BahnBaum is offline
Empowered Consumer
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,043
Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
What I said is not silly, and if you paid attention to the wording you would have to agree. If you make 200K+ per year and you have no kids, there is no way you would have to "justify" an M3, and that's a fact.
It certainly is if you add in the either having debt issues or worshipping money part. Edit it the way you did above and I agree with you.

Alex
__________________
Interrobanged.

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!


Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Tumbler Tumbler is offline
Registered User
Location: Oregon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: '04 M3 Vert
For those reasonable people who own a home and are paying off their M3 I would like to offer a financial tip. Home equity loans are going for ~5.5% right now (over 700 fico score and good credit). Do the home equity loan for the five years with your same payment and the interest you pay annually is tax deductible.

For those that have a home and think the payment is too much, but you're dying to have an M3...get a low rate home equity where the interest is still tax deductible and if you extend to 10 years your payment will be less than the 330 or other car you're currently paying for, but don't want. I don't recommend this unless you think at some point you can catch up and pay the loan down sooner or else the interest will eat you up even if it's tax deductible.

By the way, don't lease cars unless you can write it off. Unless you live in a state where there is no sales tax like Montana or Oregon you are paying the entire amount of sales tax on the MSRP. Most people think you're simply paying sales tax on the MSRP - residual, but that is not the case in most contracts.

I offer this up because if you really want an M3 or other $50k automobile there are ways to finance smart and then ways not to.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM
De_UnKnOwN_1 De_UnKnOwN_1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325i
It does not matter how much you make, obvioiusly it will be easier if you make more money, but if you can save the 48K you need (for base model) plus taxes and such..and you can afford to maintain it..go for it..

you might have to save for a few years..but once you decide to set that money aside its doable

Its not how much you need to make. its how long it will take you to save up the money you need...without finding something else you want to buy in the meantime..

A good example would be if you made about $100,000, that would be a nice salary to buy a 50K car at..think after expenses you set aside 12-13k a year, thats 4-5 years and your good to go

even setting aside 10K, thats 5 years..good things are worth waiting for
__________________



2009 BMW 328i Coupe, Space Gray, Black Leather, Gray Poplar Wood Trim, Sport Package, Premium Package, 6 Speed Steptronic, Xenons, Ipod USB, Sirius

2005 BMW 325i, Electric Red, Sand Leather, M Lip Spoiler, M-Tech Aero Kit, Aux Audio In, Myrtle Wood Trim, Premium Package, 5 Speed Steptronic, Xenon Lights, Harmon Kardon Sound System, PDC, OEM Alarm
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
What I said is not silly, and if you paid attention to the wording you would have to agree. If you make 200K+ per year and you have no kids, there is no way you would have to "justify" an M3, and that's a fact.
Not if you live in L.A. and recently bought a house (within the last year).

Median price for a house in Irvine is reacing $750,00. For someone making $200,000+ a year it'd be somewhat financially irresponsible to own an M3...The insurance and upkeep plus the monthly payment and mortgage would basically mean nearly 85% of your monthly take home goes to the car and the house. A little too close for comfort if you ask me.

Rest of the country its another matter.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-05-2005, 07:34 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is online now
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,293
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Not if you live in L.A. and recently bought a house (within the last year).

Median price for a house in Irvine is reacing $750,00. For someone making $200,000+ a year it'd be somewhat financially irresponsible to own an M3...The insurance and upkeep plus the monthly payment and mortgage would basically mean nearly 85% of your monthly take home goes to the car and the house. A little too close for comfort if you ask me.

Rest of the country its another matter.
The person making $200k a year could also just buy a cheaper house. Surely they exist?
__________________


2004 BMW 330i • 6MT • Orient Blue Metallic • Sand Leather • Black Cube Trim • ZHP • ZCW
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
boxerman boxerman is offline
Registered User
Location: connecticut
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: BBI 512,05 M3,Gl450
Lease for 700per mnth or 8400 per year. After 3 years youre out 25400. Whats the residual on a 3 year old m3? So maybee youre 10gs ahead buying. But interest earned on not buying adds up to about 4500. So buying you are say at best 6gs ahead.

Hey yuore right dont lease unless you own a business and can deduct the lease, cause then you could be even to 5gs ahead of buying, and at the end you can just get another new one, instead of trying to sell a 3-5 year old car with needs.

Hey a lease is a rental, at the end you just turn it back in. If you finance to buy over 5 years figure what your paymentsa are going to be, how much will you need to spend on a car after 5 years of hard driving. It takes 10 years for buying and repairs to really make sense and even out to the avg lease costs over the same period..
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Jeff_DML Jeff_DML is offline
doh!!!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,182
Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
The person making $200k a year could also just buy a cheaper house. Surely they exist?
in socal then you are buying a condo, maybe even a apartment conversion condo

Kind of silly to compromise on a potentially appreciating asset to buy a depreciating asset eh?
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-06-2005, 12:19 PM
tjg97002 tjg97002 is offline
Timmay!
Location: Andover, CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Competition
Why do people keep posting on this pointless thread? This argument is futile. It is asinine to discuss how much one should make to be able to buy an M3 because they are owned by all types with varying or no income (the 17 year old with generous parents). If the original poster was looking to try to figure out the average income of M3 owners or to get a cross section of what kind of people buy M3s, he or she should have thought about how to better phase the question of this poll to avoid such ridiculous responses.
__________________
2006 M3 Coupe, Interlagos Blue, Comp PKG, Black Leather, 6Spd, Xenons, No moonroof, CSL Exhaust Diffuser, Alcantara shift boot w/ 330 ZHP short throw knob
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-06-2005, 02:33 PM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
The person making $200k a year could also just buy a cheaper house. Surely they exist?
In L.A.? The average house price is about $500K. The average house price in OC is about $750K.

And if you're buying a cheap house so you can get an expensive car, your priority is AFU. House appreciates (or depreciate less), the car lose half its value the second you drive it off the lot.

Sure you can be financially irresponsible and buy whatever you want. That's why I ended up where I am now, at one time with over $120,000 worth of cars in the garage in a $210,000 house. Very stupid move on my part.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is online now
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,293
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
In L.A.? The average house price is about $500K. The average house price in OC is about $750K.

And if you're buying a cheap house so you can get an expensive car, your priority is AFU. House appreciates (or depreciate less), the car lose half its value the second you drive it off the lot.

Sure you can be financially irresponsible and buy whatever you want. That's why I ended up where I am now, at one time with over $120,000 worth of cars in the garage in a $210,000 house. Very stupid move on my part.
I dunno, I guess I was figuring one could just buy what one can afford - house mortgage ~35% take home salary, car payment ~20% take home salary.
__________________


2004 BMW 330i • 6MT • Orient Blue Metallic • Sand Leather • Black Cube Trim • ZHP • ZCW
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Moderato's Avatar
Moderato Moderato is offline
Praetorian
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,070
Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Sure you can be financially irresponsible and buy whatever you want. That's why I ended up where I am now, at one time with over $120,000 worth of cars in the garage in a $210,000 house. Very stupid move on my part.
Well at least you could always be happy about the cars you had. Which cars did you have that added up to 120K?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-07-2005, 05:45 PM
liuk3's Avatar
liuk3 liuk3 is offline
This side up.
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 557
Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Sure you can be financially irresponsible and buy whatever you want. That's why I ended up where I am now, at one time with over $120,000 worth of cars in the garage in a $210,000 house. Very stupid move on my part.
yeah, but the important thing is the fact that now you have ******** house. why do you think we all come over to your place to work on our cars?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-07-2005, 06:07 PM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3
yeah, but the important thing is the fact that now you have ******** house. why do you think we all come over to your place to work on our cars?
Well we ALL know why you come over. To gawk at my neighbor you perve.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-08-2005, 09:27 AM
liuk3's Avatar
liuk3 liuk3 is offline
This side up.
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 557
Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Well we ALL know why you come over. To gawk at my neighbor you perve.

I'm just giving a friendly smile to help keep up your neighborly relations...
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-08-2005, 09:28 AM
testrada testrada is offline
tony
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 02 325CiC
Lol *****

Lol
__________________
Tony

current stable:
02 BMW 325CiC
08 VW GTI
11 VW Touareg
95 Acura Integra

past:
05 BMW 330Ci ZHP
02 Chrysler T&C
93 BMW 318i
88 Honda Accord LXi
77 Datsun 280z
77 VW Rabbit
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 AM
rwfisher rwfisher is offline
Registered User
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2005 M3Cic
simple calculation

If you can pay your bills, put money away for retirement, and still manage to save $$ for a car...

...save the money and pay cash when you get enough. You should be able to earn enough interest to pay for an option or two.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-11-2005, 03:45 PM
jetstream23 jetstream23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,229
Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler
For those reasonable people who own a home and are paying off their M3 I would like to offer a financial tip. Home equity loans are going for ~5.5% right now (over 700 fico score and good credit). Do the home equity loan for the five years with your same payment and the interest you pay annually is tax deductible.

For those that have a home and think the payment is too much, but you're dying to have an M3...get a low rate home equity where the interest is still tax deductible and if you extend to 10 years your payment will be less than the 330 or other car you're currently paying for, but don't want. I don't recommend this unless you think at some point you can catch up and pay the loan down sooner or else the interest will eat you up even if it's tax deductible.

By the way, don't lease cars unless you can write it off. Unless you live in a state where there is no sales tax like Montana or Oregon you are paying the entire amount of sales tax on the MSRP. Most people think you're simply paying sales tax on the MSRP - residual, but that is not the case in most contracts.

I offer this up because if you really want an M3 or other $50k automobile there are ways to finance smart and then ways not to.

True but you end up changing the collateral on that loan. I love when the latest financial *****s start pitching loans to people who can't afford them or try to encourage them to "consolidate their debt" into "one low monthly payment." They push people to take credit card debt, car loans, etc. and roll it into a home equity loan. Now, guess what, you've taken some debts that were previously unsecured and backed them up with your home so if you find yourself in trouble (medical emergency, etc.) and can't make your payment then you could lose your house. This is a somewhat unrealistic situation but highlights the potential for financial problems when people either overextend themselves or choose the wrong method for paying or financing purchases.
__________________
2005 330i | ZHP, Xenons, Jet Black/Natural Brown (Black Cube)

Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-11-2005, 03:52 PM
jetstream23 jetstream23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,229
Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher
If you can pay your bills, put money away for retirement, and still manage to save $$ for a car...

...save the money and pay cash when you get enough. You should be able to earn enough interest to pay for an option or two.

Or, if all your bills are paid, no debt except for a mortgage and you max out your 401(k) then look for a very low financing rate like I did. I have enough "money in the bank" for a few BMW's but I like having that money earn money for me. So I pay half in cash and finance the rest at a rate approximating inflation these days. Paying $45K in cash wasn't a smart move for me when that money earns in the 5-6% range and the cost of borrowing was lower than that.
__________________
2005 330i | ZHP, Xenons, Jet Black/Natural Brown (Black Cube)


Last edited by jetstream23; 12-11-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-11-2005, 04:02 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is online now
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,293
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream23
Or, if all your bills are paid, no debt except for a mortgage and you max out your 401(k) then look for a very low financing rate like I did. I have enough "money in the bank" for a few BMW's but I like having the money earn money for me. So pay half in cash and finance the rest at a rate approximately inflation these days. Paying $45K in cash wasn't a smart move for me when that money earns in the 5-6% range and the cost of borrowing was lower than that.
Even at rates of 1.9-2.9% financing, if you're not purchasing or leasing through a business, do you really think a 5-6% stocks return rate is worth it? You're dealing with capital gains taxes, fees for each stock transaction, and inflation. (I'm not challenging you, just questioning. I had originally thought low-interest finance rates were smarter, but now I'm not as sure.)
__________________


2004 BMW 330i • 6MT • Orient Blue Metallic • Sand Leather • Black Cube Trim • ZHP • ZCW
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-11-2005, 04:06 PM
jetstream23 jetstream23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,229
Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Even at rates of 1.9-2.9% financing, if you're not purchasing or leasing through a business, do you really think a 5-6% stocks return rate is worth it? You're dealing with capital gains taxes, fees for each stock transaction, and inflation. (I'm not challenging you, just questioning. I had originally thought low-interest finance rates were smarter, but now I'm not as sure.)

Good questions but I'm getting over 2.5% tax free in an Arizona Municipal MM fund that has no Fed or State taxes. That doesn't include mutual funds and stocks that are performing somewhat better on the whole (some down, some up obviously) and several stocks that are sporting healthy dividends which are taxable at only 15% (i.e. MO, BAC).
__________________
2005 330i | ZHP, Xenons, Jet Black/Natural Brown (Black Cube)

Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Ventoux Ventoux is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 135
Mein Auto: '07 335i - Ti Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
If my wife and I both made over 100K a year and didn't have any kids to worry about I'd be driving something a *little* more expensive then the M3. You either have some serious debt or worship money in the bank if with 200K/year and no kids you can "justify" an M3.
why is that? Ive made well over 200k the past 3 years and still debate whether I should make such a purchase. Im facing a career change, and less income. I should be at around 150k yr, my house note is $1250 month, and im not sure if i can now afford a CPO 04 M3. I just dont like living month to month with a car note taking up a lot of my money.

Last edited by Ventoux; 03-13-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Ventoux Ventoux is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 135
Mein Auto: '07 335i - Ti Silver
i think its financially irresponsible to live in California period!

That is somewhat of a joke, but seriously, i cant see myself working as hard as i do and my dollar going nowhere. Especially when i can do the same elswhere and my money goes 3 or 4 times as far. You guys do have nice weather though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Not if you live in L.A. and recently bought a house (within the last year).

Median price for a house in Irvine is reacing $750,00. For someone making $200,000+ a year it'd be somewhat financially irresponsible to own an M3...The insurance and upkeep plus the monthly payment and mortgage would basically mean nearly 85% of your monthly take home goes to the car and the house. A little too close for comfort if you ask me.

Rest of the country its another matter.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E36 M3 or E46 M3? IndyMike General BMW 18 10-16-2010 09:25 AM
K&N 63 Series Intake for BMW E46 M3 (pic) SofaKing E46 M3 (2001-2006) 11 08-28-2005 04:48 PM
2003 325i 15K miles - control arm bushing gone - anyone else? chrischeung 3 Series / 4 Series 9 10-19-2004 03:47 PM
Is Lemfφrder (the owl) the OEM Control arms supplier? Fifty_Cent 3 Series / 4 Series 1 09-18-2004 08:56 AM
Poll on M3 CSL.... see link FSelekler General BMW 3 10-23-2002 11:27 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms