Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

View Poll Results: M3 or Boxster S
M3 28 82.35%
Boxster S 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2005, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: '00 328Ci, '05 Mini
Talking Final decision time: M3 vs. Boxster S

Well, things are going quite well and it is new car time....

I have it narrowed down to between an '05 Mystic Blue M3 (Stick) and an 05' Polar Grey Boxster S (also stick).

I currently own an '00 328Ci and an '05 MINI Cooper S Cabrio.

If I get the M3, I trade in the 328Ci. If I get the Boxster S, I trade in the MINI.

The M3 is 65K, I am getting 20% below MSRP here of 78K. The Boxster is 71K, no discount. (These cars are much more expensive in Mexico than in the U.S.). Probably both would cost about the same to own because the discount on the M3 will offset with the depreciation hit it will take when the E90 M3 comes out next year. The Boxster was just redesigned.

I have a deposit on the M3 ($2K) which I would likely lose if I go for the P-car. I have been planning to get an M3 forever now (since 2001) and have had a deposit on this particular car since one month ago (when I went originally looking for a 130i - guess I couldn't resist the M), but I decided to do a quick check of similarly priced cars before I finally plunk down final payment. I looked at a Merc SLK350 but decided it wasn't sporty enough and I also didn't like the interior. Today I went to the Porsche dealer and they have this gorgeous Boxster S on display and it got me thinking.

I will make a final decision tomorrow and right now I am leaning 80% towards the M3 mostly because:

1. It doesn't draw as much attention as the Porsche (Mexico City is a dangerous place, not good to look like a millionaire, espécially if as me, you are not)

2. I could use it every day and keep the MINI for open top fun.

3. I can travel with friends and or my dog in the back, so I would put more mileage on this car.

However, I must admit that I found the Boxster absolutely gorgeous today and it should handle like a dream even though the M3's engine/trans are probably superior. Bummer is that it is insane to drive that car daily in Mexico City.

What do you guys think? I will let you know the final decision tomorrow (with pics).
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
If I couldn't afford a P car with a real M64 block, i.e., the Turbo, the GT2, and the GT3, I would have bought another M3.

Boxster sucks.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: m3
I valet both cars

I am a valet, and everyday i get at least a boxster or a m3, and by far an m3 is way better boxster are ****, if you ever get a porsche get a carrera
Old 10-18-2005, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: M3 SMG, 540, Porsche 911
However wrong this is, it's still true here in the UK, you a buy boxster.

1 Because you're a hairdresser
2 Because you can't afford a 911.

I have a 911 and a M3.
The wife is going to have a hard job prising me out of HER M3!

Rob
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to zshiek
Mein Auto: 2001 Carbon Black M3 6 sp
robbbed666 the devil himself is spot on. Boxster are the poor mans porsche. It was made just for that reason to be more afordable. I would not buy a porsche unless it was in the 911 model series.

I was looking at the same vehicles and decided to go with the M3. Besides on those late nights when your bringing home a bird you sometimes have to drag her friend home with her. And the gorda will definetly not fit in the trunk of the boxster.

Yes, that makes sense. Im sure of it.

Z Ahmad

2001 BMW M3 Cabron Black 6 Speed (first bimmer)
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
Old 10-18-2005, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
If I couldn't afford a P car with a real M64 block, i.e., the Turbo, the GT2, and the GT3, I would have bought another M3.

Boxster sucks.

Curious-- what about the lower end engines are so bad? It seems like you guys are holding Porsche to a much higher std than BMW. Maybe that's valid, but when comparing cars that are similar in cost I think it makes sense to consider their merits without regard to what's above or below it in the model range. And, its not like the M3's engine is without fault...(not to mentioned its a wet sump design-- if that was the advantage you were going to mention of getting an M64).
Old 10-18-2005, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Personally: M3

For several reasons, one I can get a couple sets of clubs in the trunk.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
This side up.

Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zshiek
Besides on those late nights when your bringing home a bird you sometimes have to drag her friend home with her. And the gorda will definetly not fit in the trunk of the boxster.
Actually that's a reason to get the boxster. La gorda can find another way home.

I personally voted M3, but that's just my preference. I think that there still is a stigma of boxsters for women and effeminate men. On the other hand, drive what you like and everyone else be d@mned.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:07 AM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
Curious-- what about the lower end engines are so bad? It seems like you guys are holding Porsche to a much higher std than BMW. Maybe that's valid, but when comparing cars that are similar in cost I think it makes sense to consider their merits without regard to what's above or below it in the model range. And, its not like the M3's engine is without fault...(not to mentioned its a wet sump design-- if that was the advantage you were going to mention of getting an M64).
I am sure stuka will reply but supposedly it it not a true dry sump engine and they have oil stravation problems at the track. I havent heard of m3 oil starvation problems eventhough it is a wetsump engine.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 AM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Send a message via MSN to sunnykk Send a message via Yahoo to sunnykk
Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP
M3 would be my choice.

2nd row of seats, trunk space, killer looks and does not look like I am going through my mid life crisis.
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged

Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
I for one love the looks of the newly redesigned Boxster. There are three here at work. One is driven by a VERY attractive blonde woman. But I digress.

I wouldnt hesitate to Drive either car. It really depends on what you want. Based on trading in the Mini the Boxster would be a big step up in almost every sense.

Your step up to the M3 from the 330 while quite a bit would be less of a difference.

I personally would probably lean towards the M3...But Id be happy with either.

Good on you for being in a place to have to make such decisions.

Photobucket
Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
M3, no question!

Being able to carry more than one passenger is a huge plus, expecially if they are cute!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
1. The M3 is not hamster powered like the POS Boxster.

2. It used to be that the M64 was used on ALL, I repeat, ALL 911's up until the 996. In the 996 iteration, they decided that they need to make more $$, and basically punched out the Boxster engine block, then stuck it in the regular 911's and called it a day.

3. The M64 block costs about 40K for one, and disposable, non-rebuildable M96 junk found in regular 911's cost 10K.

4. Note the difference in price between a 996 GT3 and a normally appointed 997S. Right, not that much difference, and a way inferior M97 block.

5. If you do track your car, and the M96/7 develops blue smoke syndrom from oil starvation, you are hosed. The dealer will tell you that tracking voids all warranty, and you are out 10K for a new one because the M96/7 can't be rebuild.

6. The Z06 with a dry sump engine cost less than a regular 997. It's a sad day when 911's don't have dry sump blocks and Chevy's do.

7. If the regular bored out M96/7 are this bad, what do you think about its smaller displacement cousin in the Boxster?

8. The M3 hs a real sequential gearbox, and not some dressed up automatic like the Boxster.

9. Th3 M3 is actually fast, and is normally compared to the 996's. It is priced like the Boxster, but it certainly performs way better than one.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Eat my special ZHP shorts

Send a message via AIM to Aknatar
Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:

2. It used to be that the M64 was used on ALL, I repeat, ALL 911's up until the 996. In the 996 iteration, they decided that they need to make more $$, and basically punched out the Boxster engine block, then stuck it in the regular 911's and called it a day.

3. The M64 block costs about 40K for one, and disposable, non-rebuildable M96 junk found in regular 911's cost 10K.

4. Note the difference in price between a 996 GT3 and a normally appointed 997S. Right, not that much difference, and a way inferior M97 block.

5. If you do track your car, and the M96/7 develops blue smoke syndrom from oil starvation, you are hosed. The dealer will tell you that tracking voids all warranty, and you are out 10K for a new one because the M96/7 can't be rebuild.

6. The Z06 with a dry sump engine cost less than a regular 997. It's a sad day when 911's don't have dry sump blocks and Chevy's do.

7. If the regular bored out M96/7 are this bad, what do you think about its smaller displacement cousin in the Boxster?

8. The M3 hs a real sequential gearbox, and not some dressed up automatic like the Boxster.

9. Th3 M3 is actually fast, and is normally compared to the 996's. It is priced like the Boxster, but it certainly performs way better than one.
What about the Boxster's mid-engined handling goodness?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: m3
the boxster has nothing on the m3. go with the m3. boxsters are like the civics of porsche... there's too many of them around and the amount you pay for them is just not worth it. as many have already said, it's the poor man's porsche. you're pretty much paying for the badge and not the car. not worth it. just my 2 cents. some may disagree.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325i
M3

The M3 is faster, and has more room inside, yet it is still completley sporty

Then again, im no fan of roadsters

If I were between an M and a Porsche, it would be the 911 that I would be comparing too

2009 BMW 328i Coupe, Space Gray, Black Leather, Gray Poplar Wood Trim, Sport Package, Premium Package, 6 Speed Steptronic, Xenons, Ipod USB, Sirius

2005 BMW 325i, Electric Red, Sand Leather, M Lip Spoiler, M-Tech Aero Kit, Aux Audio In, Myrtle Wood Trim, Premium Package, 5 Speed Steptronic, Xenon Lights, Harmon Kardon Sound System, PDC, OEM Alarm
Old 10-18-2005, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: '00 328Ci, '05 Mini
I DID IT!

JUST MADE THE FINAL TRANSFER TO PAY FOR THE M3. WILL PICK UP AT 6:30 TODAY.

Basically I decided I'd rather have a truly great everyday car than a great weekend car at this time. The daily driver should take precedence and in that role the M3 wins hands down.

However, now I know what I want to replace my MINI with in the future....

Thanks for all the comments, will post pics later. I have benn unable to do any work at all today as the excitement of getting an M is just to much. I have dreamt of an M since my first BMW, a '94 325is.

OMG OMG OMG
Old 10-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Choice should be M# or Porsche Cayman or 911
Old 10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328CiMex
I DID IT!

JUST MADE THE FINAL TRANSFER TO PAY FOR THE M3. WILL PICK UP AT 6:30 TODAY.

Basically I decided I'd rather have a truly great everyday car than a great weekend car at this time. The daily driver should take precedence and in that role the M3 wins hands down.

However, now I know what I want to replace my MINI with in the future....

Thanks for all the comments, will post pics later. I have benn unable to do any work at all today as the excitement of getting an M is just to much. I have dreamt of an M since my first BMW, a '94 325is.

OMG OMG OMG
Congratulations.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:52 PM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Send a message via MSN to sunnykk Send a message via Yahoo to sunnykk
Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP
Congratulations and enjoy. I envy you.
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged

Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:

Ok, to summarize:
-if you're going to get a wet-sump engine, you might as well spend the same money as a Boxster, but get more performance and the option of having a real SMG.
-If you can deal w/ a 2 seater and the image, get a Z06
-If you must have a Porsche, get a 996 GT3. If you can't afford that, get an M3 or Corvette.

What if you're shallow like me, and just like the way Boxster looks and sounds?

Is that accurate?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325i
congrats, lets see some pics

2009 BMW 328i Coupe, Space Gray, Black Leather, Gray Poplar Wood Trim, Sport Package, Premium Package, 6 Speed Steptronic, Xenons, Ipod USB, Sirius

2005 BMW 325i, Electric Red, Sand Leather, M Lip Spoiler, M-Tech Aero Kit, Aux Audio In, Myrtle Wood Trim, Premium Package, 5 Speed Steptronic, Xenon Lights, Harmon Kardon Sound System, PDC, OEM Alarm
Old 10-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
I am sure stuka will reply but supposedly it it not a true dry sump engine and they have oil stravation problems at the track. I havent heard of m3 oil starvation problems eventhough it is a wetsump engine.
The M3 doesn't have oil starvation issue because it is NOT flat 6.

The flat 6 design in the P car really really needs dry sump. Just go to rennlist and type in oil starvation, dry sump, blue smoke, etc. You will get so many hits your head will spin.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:36 PM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
Quote:
The M3 doesn't have oil starvation issue because it is NOT flat 6.

The flat 6 design in the P car really really needs dry sump. Just go to rennlist and type in oil starvation, dry sump, blue smoke, etc. You will get so many hits your head will spin.
slow response there
Old 10-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Eat my special ZHP shorts

Send a message via AIM to Aknatar
Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Ok, to summarize:
-if you're going to get a wet-sump engine, you might as well spend the same money as a Boxster, but get more performance and the option of having a real SMG.
-If you can deal w/ a 2 seater and the image, get a Z06
-If you must have a Porsche, get a 996 GT3. If you can't afford that, get an M3 or Corvette.

What if you're shallow like me, and just like the way Boxster looks and sounds?

Is that accurate?
I'm pretty shallow, and I whole-heartedly agree about the great looks of the Boxster. Although the Z4 coupe is my new favorite two-seater.