Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 11-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr235
Can't read license plate. But, I've been told that in some states you (meaning anyone and his brother) can get a dealers certificate which would allow them to apply for dealer plates. Dealer plates don't have the same use fee as regular plates. Its a no no, but in a high use tax state like CA you could save some money on your plate. I think in CA the anual hit is probably north of $1000 on a 6er.

This car has an EU bumper.

Most EU BMWs have no badging.

I think I read on this board somewhere that a guy in Hungary was trying to sell a 650 on the cheap, maybe this is it.

You could be right. But this car doesn't have "dealer" plates, it has "distributor" plates according to J_A_Rankin. I.e., BMW N.A. -- or Alpina. Could this be a B6??

As for avoiding paying registration fees, I don't know. My 650i's registration fee was $606.00.

(And, unlike Eliza Doolittle, this car doesn't look Hungarian.)
Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Quote:
As for avoiding paying registration fees, I don't know. My 650i's registration fee was $606.00.
Is that it? Doesn't CA have a anual use tax that is 1%-2% of MSRP. I lived in NPB for a while and kept my cars registered in IL (less than $100/yr) because I thought I was saving a few grand a year. More than a few of my neighbors who also owned property out of state, licensed their cars out of state as well and I remember one took an offshore delivery on a yacht to avoid the use tax.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr235
Is that it? Doesn't CA have a anual use tax that is 1%-2% of MSRP. I lived in NPB for a while and kept my cars registered in IL (less than $100/yr) because I thought I was saving a few grand a year. More than a few of my neighbors who also owned property out of state, licensed their cars out of state as well and I remember one took an offshore delivery on a yacht to avoid the use tax.
No use (ad valorem) tax on cars. Just an annual registration fee, which decreases as the car ages. (My last fee for the 3.0CS in 2001 was $25.)

The registration fee used to be 3 times the current rate. During the years of budget surpluses (late 1990s) the state cut the rate and after ballooning defecits tried to re-impose it but Gray Davis got recalled. Whatever incentive there was to violate California law, and register out of state, has been reduced.

Out of state delivery of cars (or boats - the California DMV administers that, too) to avoid sales taxes (between 8 and 8 1/2% depending on the county of residence) is no longer a way to avoid sales taxes. Once the car (or boat) comes into the state the sales tax is imposed. Some other states have compacts with California to collect it upon sales of new cars by dealers in those states (don't know about boats) and then send it to California upon proof of registration here. With the advent of computerized records it's getting harder and harder to commit this kind of economic crime. Don't worry - the statute of limitations has run on your crimes.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M6, X6M, Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Out of state delivery of cars (or boats - the California DMV administers that, too) to avoid sales taxes (between 8 and 8 1/2% depending on the county of residence) is no longer a way to avoid sales taxes. Once the car (or boat) comes into the state the sales tax is imposed.
The loophole for avoiding sales tax on boats isn't gone it's just tightened up a bit. Used to be that you if you were a California resident and were purchasing a boat, you could take offshore delivery and then keep the boat in foreign waters for 51% of the first six months (along with some other requirements that are easily met) you could get an exemption on paying the sales tax. Now the time period is 1 year, not 90 days! The exemption is still there, but it takes longer and is more difficult to achieve.

I also understand that this change may not be permanent, it is in a trial phase. It could be changed or repealed if it is determined to have a significant negative impact on the various industries affected by the change.

Last edited by MaxTimeOff; 11-20-2005 at 09:43 AM.