Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 AM
reb03's Avatar
reb03 reb03 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot5
the driving experience is what was most important to us. So we went with the 550.
This is THE reason we drive BMWs as well. I agree with KrispyKreme in that many people drive a BMW because of the Roundel on the hood (especially here in Southern CA). But, to me, BMWs feel much better than the competition and owning a G35 briefly confirmed this. I would gladly drive an Acura RL, Infiniti M35 or Lexus GS330 for less money if they could come close to the road and steering feel provided by my previous BMWs and my current 530i but they just don't compare.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:26 AM
hugh1850's Avatar
hugh1850 hugh1850 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders
Don't be a dreamer.
Test drive a Bimmer!

That doesn't rhyme... ; but I agree with you!
__________________
2013 M3
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:20 AM
gbelton's Avatar
gbelton gbelton is offline
///M for Motor Sports!
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,944
Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
It is About The Badge For Most...

Hello My Friends:

This is how it starts... You look for the badge first then you rationalize what means more to you.

It might be lower cost...
It might be good customer service...
It might be the badge...
It might be driving mechanics...
Etc... Etc...

You get my point. But one other point. For those of us who did not grow up with tons of money and their parents never owned a luxry car, tell me...
When you dreamed of having or buying a luxury car, what car rang true for you? Now please be honest...

That's right, the majority of you chose Mercedes! WHY? Because that car was defined as the best luxury car to have or at least gave you a status that you have made it. (Middle Klasse or >) My point is we choose things becuase of their badges and don't act like you don't. If price was no option you would buy the best and if your taste was BMW, you would buy it. This is exactly what I mentioned in my previous post. This guy would buy the BMW if he could value spending +40K.

Oh, one other thing for clarification, I believe BMW built its first car in 1933 (Model 303) which is now known as the legendary 328! Its first car to hit the US was post WWII (1945). Of course they dabbled with other developments like airplane engines (How they began in 1913), to its motorcycle builds in the same era.

-GMAN
__________________
The Tail of The DRAGON, YES!!

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 AM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,650
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I am 43, and never desired a Mercedes, they are nice cars however.

If I was being honest, when I was growing up in the 70's, I dreamed about a 60's model Chevy Camaro SS, then I wised up and sought bimmers.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:41 AM
hugh1850's Avatar
hugh1850 hugh1850 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton
Hello My Friends:

This is how it starts... You look for the badge first then you rationalize what means more to you.

It might be lower cost...
It might be good customer service...
It might be the badge...
It might be driving mechanics...
Etc... Etc...

You get my point. But one other point. For those of us who did not grow up with tons of money and their parents never owned a luxry car, tell me...
When you dreamed of having or buying a luxury car, what car rang true for you? Now please be honest...

That's right, the majority of you chose Mercedes! WHY? Because that car was defined as the best luxury car to have or at least gave you a status that you have made it. (Middle Klasse or >) My point is we choose things becuase of their badges and don't act like you don't. If price was no option you would buy the best and if your taste was BMW, you would buy it. This is exactly what I mentioned in my previous post. This guy would buy the BMW if he could value spending +40K.

Oh, one other thing for clarification, I believe BMW built its first car in 1933 (Model 303) which is now known as the legendary 328! Its first car to hit the US was post WWII (1945). Of course they dabbled with other developments like airplane engines (How they began in 1913), to its motorcycle builds in the same era.

-GMAN
Your point aside, Klasse=class?
__________________
2013 M3
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:55 AM
gbelton's Avatar
gbelton gbelton is offline
///M for Motor Sports!
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,944
Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Cool You Are Correct Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh1850
Your point aside, Klasse=class?
Yes, I decided to use the German term but yes Middle Class is correct.

I like the 60's model Chevy Camaro SS, but it ain't no luxury car, IMHO. Good choice though! You did not fancy the RoadRunner?

Oh, you chose wisely Young Jedi! May the force of BMW be with you...

-GMAN
__________________
The Tail of The DRAGON, YES!!

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Belushi's Avatar
Belushi Belushi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southbay CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 135
Mein Auto: '10 135i
I've owned my BMW 530i since May 2003 and I never look back to the other cars I was considering at the time. Of course you have to decide why you are buying the car. Are you a driving enthusiast or do prefer a smooth yacht like atmoshpere. That is how I would compare the two. I went from a Honda Civic Si that I had for 250,000 miles that only needed brakes and oil and one radiator in that time frame. I've had my BMW for 42000 miles and not a single problem just smile after smile with every turn and drive on the highway as it feels like a tank with the resposiveness of a gazelle being chased. BMW is about balanced proportions for a great driving feel. Lexus is about smooth luxury and simply because horsepower is up doesn't make it a contender for better driving feel.

I agree with other posts that if you do not buy the BMW you will always wonder how it would have felt around this corner or at this speed or the way it looks in your garage. I still find myself loving the look of my car 3 years later, do the Lexus cars on the road that are little older give you that feel? It's not just a $ issue it is an emotional one.

Also IS 250 should be compared to 325/330i not 5 series.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-24-2005, 10:50 AM
hpowders's Avatar
hpowders hpowders is offline
Ahh! Summer Weather!!
Location: South of Brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 13,325
Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh1850
That doesn't rhyme... ; but I agree with you!
Keep looking at it.
If you put in the time
you will see it does rhyme.
__________________
There is no more beautiful car on Bimmerfest than my gorgeous Forest Green Porsche 911 coupe!


Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-06/02/2014: 9 great years on Bimmerfest!!!

Last edited by hpowders; 10-24-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 AM
gbelton's Avatar
gbelton gbelton is offline
///M for Motor Sports!
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,944
Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Wink Staying Power...

Hello My Friends:

I do not believe Lexus, Infiniti and Audi (Pre 2005) have no staying power. You look at these cars years from now and you say to yourself, OMG! IMHO...


-GMAN
__________________
The Tail of The DRAGON, YES!!

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 AM
bmw325 bmw325 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,323
Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton
Hello My Friends:

I do not believe Lexus, Infiniti and Audi (Pre 2005) have no staying power. You look at these cars years from now and you say to yourself, OMG! IMHO...


-GMAN
In tersm of styling? IMO, the original Lexus GS and LS still look good. And, most older Audis are good looking classic designs too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-24-2005, 11:24 AM
LA525iT's Avatar
LA525iT LA525iT is offline
swinging a big stick
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,940
Mein Auto: 03 525iT & 06 Z4 3.0si
You should cross-shop the IS with the Z4. The backseats are about the same size
__________________
My car: 2003 525iT 5M/SP/PP/Xenons/Aux/Sirius
Her car: 2006 Z4 3.0si 6M/SP/PP/Xenons/Heated Seats
Dog car: 1996 Integra SE 5M/Leather/Dog Fur/Sand
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-24-2005, 11:25 AM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,650
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 AM
hugh1850's Avatar
hugh1850 hugh1850 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders
Keep looking at it.
If you put in the time
you will see it does rhyme.

Bimmer rhymes with shimmer.

Now if you're talking BMW motorcycles...
__________________
2013 M3
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-24-2005, 03:58 PM
hpowders's Avatar
hpowders hpowders is offline
Ahh! Summer Weather!!
Location: South of Brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 13,325
Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh1850
Bimmer rhymes with shimmer.

Now if you're talking BMW motorcycles...
It does? So my neighbor insulted me when he said "Hey, you got a new Beeemer?"
I just crossed him off my trick or treat list.

I will never ask this neighbor
to ever do me a favor.
__________________
There is no more beautiful car on Bimmerfest than my gorgeous Forest Green Porsche 911 coupe!


Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-06/02/2014: 9 great years on Bimmerfest!!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
katheikia's Avatar
katheikia katheikia is offline
Bimerizing Everyone
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 230
Send a message via AIM to katheikia
Mein Auto: 550 SMG
LEXUS= No free Maint.
__________________
KATHEIKIA
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,930
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Well, here is a thread on a Lexus board...the guy rips our E60 pretty good!

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthre...7&page=1&pp=15
__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-25-2005, 03:15 PM
reb03's Avatar
reb03 reb03 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Well, here is a thread on a Lexus board...the guy rips our E60 pretty good!

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthre...7&page=1&pp=15
Yes he does. At least he states the 530i was not a Sports Package car and was on 17s. I've driven and pushed both the non-sports package 530i and the sports package 530i I own and the difference is dramatic. The sports package car is much flatter in the turns, more poised and confidence inspiring when pushed. As for iDrive and the looks - I think the car looks great (personal taste) and I can live with iDrive since I think the car drives that much better than the competition.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
bmw325 bmw325 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,323
Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03
Yes he does. At least he states the 530i was not a Sports Package car and was on 17s. I've driven and pushed both the non-sports package 530i and the sports package 530i I own and the difference is dramatic. The sports package car is much flatter in the turns, more poised and confidence inspiring when pushed. As for iDrive and the looks - I think the car looks great (personal taste) and I can live with iDrive since I think the car drives that much better than the competition.

Plus, you can't get a manual on the Lexus GS. Regardless, I thought that guy did a good job on his reviews- and was pretty much spot-on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Krochelli Krochelli is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
In tersm of styling? IMO, the original Lexus GS and LS still look good. And, most older Audis are good looking classic designs too.
The old SC was fantastic looking, and I think Lexus' best car built.

There sure is a lot of BMW snobbiness on this board, from what I'm reading. Most people I would guess test there superb "handling" on doing a U in the grocery store parking lot

And for those who think BMWs handle the best, go drive a Porsche. It isn't even close. I love my 5er, but miss my Porsche at times
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Krochelli Krochelli is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by katheikia
LEXUS= No free Maint.
Who cares? You are paying BMW for it and its not "free." Welcome to marketing, my friend.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-29-2005, 08:07 AM
reb03's Avatar
reb03 reb03 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochelli
And for those who think BMWs handle the best, go drive a Porsche. It isn't even close. I love my 5er, but miss my Porsche at times
This statement doesn't make much sense . Are you comparing the 5-series to a Porsche Boxster/996/997 or are you comparing it to the Cayenne? Comparing the 5-series to a sports car is ridiculous. Of course a 3,600lb car capable of caring five in comfort isn't going to handle like a Porsche sports car or one of my former M3s. I also miss my M3 at times but the 5-series is a wonderful blend of sport, comfort and refinement.

Before I decided on the 530i with sports package I test drove the M35/45 and the GS300/430. I once owned the original GS300 and I'll never forget the dealer experience or the feeling of quality. But, I also will never forget what a complete snoozer it was to drive - BORING. I know today's GS is far superior to my 1993 GS300 but when I test drove the new GS it brought back memories of boredom. It just didn't have that feel - the x-factor I guess. It's all highly subjective.

In my eyes the Lexus badge is a premium badge just like BMW and there's no denying that Lexus likely sets the bar with respect to quality. As for price, the M35 I priced was only $2,000 less than my 530i (negotiated price) and the GS300 I priced was $4,000 cheaper though carsdirect is now offering the GS for $5,000 off sticker! Guess demand is somewhat soft.... It's tough to get more than a couple thousand off the M35 which is a more sport oriented car.

Last edited by reb03; 10-29-2005 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Krochelli Krochelli is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03
This statement doesn't make much sense . Are you comparing the 5-series to a Porsche Boxster/996/997 or are you comparing it to the Cayenne? Comparing the 5-series to a sports car is ridiculous. Of course a 3,600lb car capable of caring five in comfort isn't going to handle like a Porsche sports car or one of my former M3s. I also miss my M3 at times but the 5-series is a wonderful blend of sport, comfort and refinement.
Just everyone on this site seems to think BMW handling is super amazing, and I don't think its that close to Porsche handling, 911 or Boxster. I had a Boxster that handled much better than an M3 or my 5er (of course). btw, i love bmws--and an M3 was on order to replace my Boxster as i needed more room. Different cars though.

The Cayenne Turbo i drove was spectacular considering the weight...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Name some songs that are ideal for 100+ mph driving..... London Talking Off-Topic 96 09-24-2008 07:12 AM
Bimmer Ownership Phases... (Very very long) FSelekler General BMW 31 02-08-2006 02:36 PM
just got back from a late lunch ... PMR55 Off-Topic 18 03-26-2003 06:58 PM
Back at the Repair Shop!! Ack 3 Series / 4 Series 13 05-12-2002 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms