cost to change an ignition coil and plugs - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:56 AM
tom3holer tom3holer is offline
Registered User
Location: Cape Cod
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: BMW 528
cost to change an ignition coil and plugs

Hi,
Our 2012 328I 38,000mi convertible needed to be taken to a shop away from home by my wife due to hesitation on acceleration. I do much of the light work on all our cars but her car was 1500 miles away so she took it to a recommended indy in Naples Fl.
They diagnosed it and found one bad ignition coil. They will replace it and all plugs. The breakdown was 2.5 hrs labor and the Ignition coil was $145. That seemed high so checked with my normal supplier EEuroparts and an OEM coil is like $25. The bill is like $475.
Just wondering if that seems reasonable?

Thanks,
Tom
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9,341
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
.

From a shop's point o'view, very reasonable. Makes for a Merry Christmas too.

From yours, is it too much to pay for fast service far from home? Plugs $8.50 ea btw. I'd of just found the bad coil with an OBDII reader & replaced the one. Then again, neither of us was there at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:39 AM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
now driving number eight!
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,312
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
It's a normal Indy charge for what would have cost you about $84 in parts to DIY.

BMWs are expensive for even normal service items ....... wives are expensive ....... wife's BMW service is exponentially expensive!
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:48 AM
tom3holer tom3holer is offline
Registered User
Location: Cape Cod
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: BMW 528
Ya, thats right. Actually she has two a 2011 525XI and this 2012 328 Convertable while I drive a 2006 Saab 9-5 Aero.
I put a call into the local BMW dealer for my cost on a Ignition coil but they need to have the last 7 digits of the VIN number so am waiting for a call back from the BMW fanatic in the family.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:37 AM
07335's Avatar
07335 07335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 753
Mein Auto: 2011 335is CAB w/DCT
FCP Euro has coils for $25? Plugs are under $10. Tons of YouTube videos out there. Easy DIY.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Steve111 Steve111 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Usa
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: 07 328xi
Parts from a dealership then the price is dead on. Remember you are paying a shop to do it. They need to make their money to run their business. Is it super easy to do on your own and can it be done with much cheaper? Absolutely. If you pay someone to do it then you need to expect it to be expensive unfortunately
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 PM
328i_ 328i_ is offline
Registered User
Location: New Haven, CT.
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
Hi,
Our 2012 328I 38,000mi convertible needed to be taken to a shop away from home by my wife due to hesitation on acceleration. I do much of the light work on all our cars but her car was 1500 miles away so she took it to a recommended indy in Naples Fl.
They diagnosed it and found one bad ignition coil. They will replace it and all plugs. The breakdown was 2.5 hrs labor and the Ignition coil was $145. That seemed high so checked with my normal supplier EEuroparts and an OEM coil is like $25. The bill is like $475.
Just wondering if that seems reasonable?

Thanks,
Tom
Do it yourself- DO NOT TAKE IT IN!!!! REPEAT- DO IT YOUR SELF.

Six coils & plugs is ~$200
Torque wrench is ~$50
Misc tools is ~$30
Six Pack is ~10

Thus, for less than $300, you can fix the SES light and have a much better throttle response.
I don't know **** about my car but was able to fix my SES light. I took me less than an hour to do.
__________________
Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it.

Malcolm X

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 PM
ctuna ctuna is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,403
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Last time I asked for a quote on plugs alone it was 300 bucks
to change them at my Indy.
That was a high priced coil.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-07-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Nachfolger Nachfolger is offline
beemlyfe
Location: MD, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 480
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
How in the world is the oem coil $25? I don't believe it even remotely.
__________________
Spreading the audacity of equality since 1999

Genesis 3:25: "And next he proceeded to form the naturally aspirated inline six engine and place it in a 50/50 weight distribution rear wheel drive chassis. It was given the spark of life, and the exhaust note was good."

(-) 2009 335I, M-Sport W/ Prem, Manual, Dinan Stage 2 Performance Package
(-) 1997 CBR600
(-) 2003 330I, ZHP, Manual (my pride and joy)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Steve111 Steve111 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Usa
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: 07 328xi
After market coil is 25 from ecs tuning. I didn't believe it either untill I saw it. Even the local auto parts stores want 75 a coil by me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2017, 03:47 AM
tom3holer tom3holer is offline
Registered User
Location: Cape Cod
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: BMW 528
Thank you all. I understand the shop has to make a living. I do much of the work on all our cars but this one is 1500 miles away in Fl. with my wife so I could not do it.$
The issue I kinda have is the cost they charged her for one coil. I called the BMW dealer in Naples and asked what my, a walkin off the street, cost would be and they said something like $87. The shop charged $140. I don't mind paying for qualified labor but to mark parts up that much is not good business practice. Just my 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:11 AM
BeamerBro BeamerBro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Pole
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 672
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
Thank you all. I understand the shop has to make a living. I do much of the work on all our cars but this one is 1500 miles away in Fl. with my wife so I could not do it.$
The issue I kinda have is the cost they charged her for one coil. I called the BMW dealer in Naples and asked what my, a walkin off the street, cost would be and they said something like $87. The shop charged $140. I don't mind paying for qualified labor but to mark parts up that much is not good business practice. Just my 2 cents worth.
I think this garbage where mechanics double or triple the price of a part is shady and not ethical.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 PM
gbalthrop gbalthrop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fairfax County, Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachfolger View Post
How in the world is the oem coil $25? I don't believe it even remotely.
Coil for N52KP (328xi or 328i), Bosch OEM: 0221504470

Price @ Autohaus AZ: $24.39
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ber=0221504470

Price @ ECS Tuning: $23.50
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E91-32...ch/0221504470/

Note that you CAN pay 2.36 times as much for a "GENUINE BMW" coil -- wonder who makes that?

Price @ Turner Motorsport: $23.50, same as ECS Tuning including GOP Genuine BMW
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Sea...sedClearance=1

There IS a difference between OEM & "GENUINE BMW" and it's basically PRICE

George
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:37 PM
07335's Avatar
07335 07335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 753
Mein Auto: 2011 335is CAB w/DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Coil for N52KP (328xi or 328i), Bosch OEM: 0221504470

Price @ Autohaus AZ: $24.39
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ber=0221504470

Price @ ECS Tuning: $23.50
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E91-32...ch/0221504470/

Note that you CAN pay 2.36 times as much for a "GENUINE BMW" coil -- wonder who makes that?

Price @ Turner Motorsport: $23.50, same as ECS Tuning including GOP Genuine BMW
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Sea...sedClearance=1

There IS a difference between OEM & "GENUINE BMW" and it's basically PRICE

George
Thanks. saved me time for typing this! BTW the $25 part came in a Bosch box, and looked exactly like the part it replaced. BMW wanted $75 for this part. Car runs like a champ.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2017, 06:25 AM
Davein Davein is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 207
Mein Auto: 328ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i_ View Post
Do it yourself- DO NOT TAKE IT IN!!!! REPEAT- DO IT YOUR SELF.

Six coils & plugs is ~$200
Torque wrench is ~$50
Misc tools is ~$30
Six Pack is ~10

Thus, for less than $300, you can fix the SES light and have a much better throttle response.
I don't know **** about my car but was able to fix my SES light. I took me less than an hour to do.
Car is in Naples, FL - he is in Cape Cod. His arms are not that long.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-09-2017, 10:44 AM
STR8-6IX STR8-6IX is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: 2011 535i, 2009 328i
spark plugs: $8 a piece

ignition coils are usually very overpriced like $80 each, but the actual price for them is about $20-25 each I believe.

you don't even need any tools to change the coils, and changing the spark plugs is very easy.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Jimfocus Jimfocus is offline
Registered User
Location: Wrentham,MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 328ix/335ix
I replaced all 6 coils and plugs for a little over $200 with parts ordered on line. I did it in about 2 hours. The most annoying part of the job is taking off the plastic cover over the cowel, the cabin air filter and moving the wiring harness aside. You do need a special spark plug socket.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 471
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
BOSCH 00044 Info One of our most popular parts
Actual OE Part
CAD$34.42

From RockAuto, if you want the OEM Bosch. That's ~$27.00 USD.
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-09-2017, 03:00 PM
STR8-6IX STR8-6IX is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: 2011 535i, 2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfocus View Post
I replaced all 6 coils and plugs for a little over $200 with parts ordered on line. I did it in about 2 hours. The most annoying part of the job is taking off the plastic cover over the cowel, the cabin air filter and moving the wiring harness aside. You do need a special spark plug socket.
what? what year is you 328i? all I had to remove was the plastic engine cover to get to the spark plugs/ coils. it was a really easy job.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Jimfocus Jimfocus is offline
Registered User
Location: Wrentham,MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 328ix/335ix
2011 328xi. I checked several You Tube videos before doing it that indicated you had to remove the cabin air filter etc. to get to the last 1 or 2 plugs. When I did it it appeared to be correct. In addition I had to loosen the strut brace rear bolt. Particularly the last/rear plug was hard to get to. Maybe I have big hands.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-10-2017, 08:07 AM
bmwbob51 bmwbob51 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hpllister, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 112
Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 540i 6 speed
6 Bosch coils $128 plugs $10. A little DIY, priceless!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Steve111 Steve111 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Usa
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: 07 328xi
Special spark plug socket? Absolutely not. Just don't buy a my first tool set socket kit and a regular spark plug socket will work just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Jimfocus Jimfocus is offline
Registered User
Location: Wrentham,MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 328ix/335ix
So I'm assuming you've done it Steve. I have a pretty extensive tool set but again the videos and online sources suggested the long spark plug socket (the right length without an extension) and thin walled because of tight clearance in the plug holes (especially important on turbo engines). I prepared for the job and was not going to get stuck half disassembled and not having the right tools. Maybe that's how you roll, I didn't want to take any chances.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Steve111 Steve111 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Usa
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: 07 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfocus View Post
So I'm assuming you've done it Steve. I have a pretty extensive tool set but again the videos and online sources suggested the long spark plug socket (the right length without an extension) and thin walled because of tight clearance in the plug holes (especially important on turbo engines). I prepared for the job and was not going to get stuck half disassembled and not having the right tools. Maybe that's how you roll, I didn't want to take any chances.
I totally understand wanting to be prepared with the tools that BMW suggests for the job. The more you work on vehicles though the more you will realize that most of these "special" tools are unnecessary or can be easily made in minutes. The more your tool collection grows the less you need to worry about having to stop a job because you need the correct tool. If I ended up needing a thin wall spark plug socket I would take one of the many spark plug sockets laying around and throw it on a grinder.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-10-2017, 11:09 AM
ctuna ctuna is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,403
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
The Euro Cars use Torx stuff where American and Japanese Cars don't
Also you use to be able to get away without a Torque wrench
for most American Car or Even Japanese Cars but there pretty
much necessary now for almost everything.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.