2011 335d HARMONIC PULLEY OR AC COMPRESSOR ? HELP ADVICE - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: Red Honda Fit
2011 335d HARMONIC PULLEY OR AC COMPRESSOR ? HELP ADVICE

[SIZE="2"]hi guys, so i have a 2011 335d sedan. yes, its a diesel. she is loud & obnoxious at the same time. but i fell in love with her the first second i saw her at the lot. its love at first sight. anyhow, i got that out of the way. lol last week i was getting ready to leave my driveway, turn on the ac, and suddenly her power steering went out just like that. so i decided to turn off the ac immediately. i sit there in my driveway, puzzled, trying to figure out and comprehend whats just happened. so i immediately went to an indy shop literally a block away and ask the tech there. he opened the hood, stood in front of the grills, and said its your ac compressor. seized. $1400 parts and labor. i told him my extended warranty will most likely cover that, problem was that it wont kick in until dec 29th. so we sat and figure out the numbers and he said he will help to get my money back from the warranty company later. so that was cool. but of course i have to come out of pocket first then get compensated when that indy get compensated by the warranty company. but theres a little voice in my head said, get a second opinion. so i did. i took my ride to the bmw dealer just because there was a new recall on the ac blower motor wiring on the ac system needs to be replaced but even those parts wont be available until dec 18th the earliest. so i mentioned those problems with power steering goes out when the ac is on. the tech look over his shoulder and notice that my ride is a diesel and point out with a big smile, "thats a diesel huh, nice !" and follow with, 'im almost positively sure know what causing that problem, its your harmonic pulley. and he added we still have to diagnose it to make sure that it is. i said ok.
couple days later, he called and confirmed that it is the harmonic pulley and added and recommend that both belts and a seal or gasket near that pulley needs to be replaced as well since its in the area. $1599 covers all of it. and he also added that they checked the ac system and compressor for leaks and they found none but he also mentioned that they wont able to find out exactly if my ac compressor is or if its damaged or seized unless the harmonic pulley be replaced so then the ac will turn on then and finally they will able to find out for sure if my ac compressor is faulty (seized) or not. and the bmw dealer will not able to post date the work so i can get reimbursed by the warranty company. my SA gave me 2 option, fix it with out of pocket now or tow it to my house and let it sit until the warranty kicks in. i need my ride. its the only ride i got right now. $1599 covers the pulley, 2 belts, and the seal gasket. idk what to do. pls help on any advice or opinion. i know these type of thread have surfaced on here before and i apologize for bringing this up again. and if anyone out there have gone through this problem before your input and experience or even opinion is greatly appreciated. cheers !

Last edited by eric_dot_com; 12-06-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
If the belt is turning and only slips when the ac is on then itís bad. Does your still have the belts on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
I have never replaced a harmonic pulley the only thing on those motors is when belts break the crank will pull it into the front main seal and clog the oil pump pickup. I have seen that about a dozen times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 10:19 PM

rbmwiv,

tbh I dont even know if the belt turns or only slips when AC is on because Im afraid to turn on the ac because the first tech at the Indy shop told me to not turn it on anymore because ill never able to drive it because there will be no power steering and I will cause more damage.
Also noted that when I drive my car with ac is off I smell rubber type of scent. My gut feeling says that my ac compressor is ok and because my SA said that they check for leaks in the ac system and found none. But to answer your questions yes I believe that my belt is still on it. Is it possible that its just the ac belt that is bad ? You think if the bmw dealer replace the harmonic pulley and both of the belts solve the problem ?

Last edited by eric_dot_com; 12-06-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM

rbmwiv,

Yea I think that is the seal that my SA mentioned to me to replace also same time when replacing the harmonic pulley along with the 2 belts. I also think my belt is worn out or needs to be replaced and not necessarily my ac compressor. It triggers me because I smell rubber when driving the car with ac is off. The Indy tech told me that if I turned on the ac while driving my belt will be shattered to pieces and some of those pieces will end up in the receiving drier which means replacement of ac compressor and the drier and the belts.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
The AC is fine. On the 335d, the Harmonic Balancer pulley are likely to fail after just 60 K miles.
Here is a link on how to replace http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380230
Old 12-07-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
The AC is fine. On the 335d, the Harmonic Balancer pulley are likely to fail after just 60 K miles.
Here is a link on how to replace http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380230

yea thats exactly what my SA told me. my baby is getting her harmonic pulley replaced as we speak as well as her both belts and the seal by the pulley. i think the rubber smell comes from the rubber part of the pulley (part of the pulley) that went bad. i've had several opinion from other indy shop that i came across and they told me the same thing you told me. i appreciate you.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search