New to me F30 320i owner - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: 97' BMW 740il, 06' 330i
New to me F30 320i owner

Hey folks. I just purchased a 2014 320i, my first 3 series. Its not my first bmw though. I've had two E38s, a 97 740il, and 2001 750il sport package ( killed me financially so I dumped it) and a 87 635csi. ( I really miss her still). Anywho. I'm excited to share thoughts, opinions, and experiences with one another on here.

I do have some questions regarding the 320i, one is... And I haven't seen too many issues with it. But the timing chain guide failure/oil pump chain. Apparently bmw went ahead and extended the warranty on that to 70k miles. Anything I should keep an eye for or do proactively? ( hoping I didn't make a financial mistake buying this) curious what thoughts you have with the maintenance on these? I'm at 62k miles. I have basically all service history on the car. Oil changed every 7 to 10k miles. And nothing out of the ordinary popped up. It has just had a battery replaced, the rest just maintenance.

Also the cooling system on these? Are they pretty reliable or pretty much the Achilles heel like all other bmws? I'm pretty OCD and I noticed it takes awhile to get to operating temp, but then once it does it seems to fluctuate and the needle reaches the 2 on the temp gauge, ( this happened tonight) but once I came to a stop it went back down to the 2nd notch.

I'm also OCD when it comes to maintenace. Since I'm at 62k miles and no history of transmission fluid change, id like to service it because I don't believe in the bs lifetime fluid bmw trys to sell people, do I need ISTA+ to reset adaptations and where can I find it? Or can it be reset with INPA or is that too old of software technology to connect to F30 chassis? I also am going to service the rear differential ( new fluids go a long way imo)

Well other than that guys. I'm really happy with the car, I love how it handles, and the power. Its a fun driver for a DD in my case, I paid just under 17k for it. It does have the lighting package but no sport package, though not a deal breaker for me. I haven't seen any with sport package for sale in my area.

Sorry in advance for the lengthy post, ill drop some photos and you guys can have at it in the comments! Thanks for allowing me to be part of the group.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Welcome! You can find some maintenance, etc., info at these links:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=422
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search