Bmw bavarian technic & scan tools obd questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-07-2017, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: Red Honda Fit
Bmw bavarian technic & scan tools obd questions

ok im sure that these topic or similar have surfaced on this forum once or more but i just want to get to the bottom of this since i cant or dont know where to find answers or advise pertaining to it. so ive never really actually have thought about purchasing a scan tool for my bmw before until now. its plain and simple , i have a little extra money and id like to spend it on something that can give me more than whats it worth. i came across few youtube channels and other topics on the forum about the best and least expensive scan tools.
now, i would like to spend my money on a tool because i think a scan tool is necessary to own if you have a bmw or not because the things that you can get out of it is priceless. as we all know everytime a shop diagnose or scan your ride it cost some money but it all adds up if you do more than once or twice. thus, ive decided to go to the bavarian technic scan tool. its like $180 usd and very reliable. nevr use or own a scan tool in my life. i want to get opinion and advice on it. i know and heard that its very advantageous and very popular item to own out of the other things for the vehicle. i want to know that if the bavarian technic scan tool will work with ios devices and macbook's ? and if so, what other things that i could benefit from the tools and the disadvantages if there are any. i want to get it so bad and plus it will make me look much smarter finding out more about my vehicle. lol
pls share your experience with the scan tools that you been using and the effectiveness, etc
cheers !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
I have and recommend this scan tool: Schwaben Professional BMW/MINI Scan Tool
Available from www.ecstuning.com
It read all BMW codes, activate components, calibrate injectors, calibrate steering angle, etc, ...
Old 12-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
I've got a BavarianTechnic tools (just used it yesterday - ) and it seems very complete and full-featured. You have to pay a bit more to have it read multiple cars (I have the 3-vehicle version). Lot of people have gone for the Android-based apps (Torque seems popular).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I've got a BavarianTechnic tools (just used it yesterday - ) and it seems very complete and full-featured. You have to pay a bit more to have it read multiple cars (I have the 3-vehicle version). Lot of people have gone for the Android-based apps (Torque seems popular).

yeah thats what i figured. for some reason the bavarian technic is a android based tool. im in the iOS business so everything is apple. sucks that i cant use the bavarian technic due to software compatibility. so can anyone confirm that bavarian technic is an android-based tool ? if so, then what is the best scan tool for the money for an apple-based (iOS) computers ?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
I have and recommend this scan tool: Schwaben Professional BMW/MINI Scan Tool
Available from www.ecstuning.com
It read all BMW codes, activate components, calibrate injectors, calibrate steering angle, etc, ...
sounds like its also another option.
is it an android-based scan tool or does it work with iOS also ?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Android -- NOT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_dot_com View Post
yeah thats what i figured. for some reason the bavarian technic is a android based tool. im in the iOS business so everything is apple. sucks that i cant use the bavarian technic due to software compatibility. so can anyone confirm that bavarian technic is an android-based tool ? if so, then what is the best scan tool for the money for an apple-based (iOS) computers ?
See this link for Bavarian Technic system compatibility:
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/systemrequirements.aspx

George
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
Quote:
sounds like its also another option.
is it an android-based scan tool or does it work with iOS also ?
It is a self contained scanner. It is not running under iOS or Android.

For the function list, take a look at the documents at:
http://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale...e-and-obd.html
http://www.foxwelltool.com/upload/pr...nctionlist.pdf

There are no limits on number of vehicules

Last edited by montr; 12-07-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix
Order the cable from bimmer geeks.net and then download ISTA. More useful than just a scan toool.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
BT is *NOT* android-based. It's a USB cable and software that runs on my laptop (Win8 or Win10).
Old 12-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
See this link for Bavarian Technic system compatibility:

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/systemrequirements.aspx

George

Thanks George, but the Bavarian technics won’t work for me because it is an android based software. I appreciate for the link tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
BT is *NOT* android-based. It's a USB cable and software that runs on my laptop (Win8 or Win10).

If you click on the links that George just put out then you will see that the Bavarian technics is an android-based software and they will not work for iOS devices or computers.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 12-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you click on the links that George just put out then you will see that the Bavarian technics is an android-based software and they will not work for iOS devices or computers.
The link leads to a web page containing:
"The computer that runs Bavarian Technic must meet or exceed the following specifications:
Windows XP, Vista, Win7, 8, 8.1, and 10 (32- or 64-bit versions). MacOS not currently supported.
1.8 GHz Pentium-class, dual-core processor or faster (ARM processor such as on Windows Surface using WinRT not supported)
1 GB Memory (RAM)
1 GB available disk space
Available USB port
Internet connection and browser (for installation and updates)
Screen resolution of 800x600 or greater
Microsoft® .NET Framework 3.5 sp1. Not required on Win7. Must be enabled on Win8 and 8.1. .NET Framework version 4.x not supported.
Recommend Adobe® Acrobat Reader (for viewing and printing documentation)"

I obtained that by clicking the link in the quoted text in your post #10. Perhaps you clicked somewhere else? Proof:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bt.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	728617

Last edited by floydarogers; 12-08-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: add where to click

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search