Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-02-2005, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Slight hesitation after cold start

Has anyone noticed in their car a slight hesitation when starting the car in the morning for the first time? I've been noticing it more and more the past couple of weeks. At first it was ever so slight, now its very noticeable.

What I usually do.
Start the car - wait till everything stops beeping, etc
Push on the brake, move the car into drive and pull out.
In my garage there is no need to use the gas to pull out so the car pulls out off of idle. While moving out it will hesitate, until the engine recovers, then lunge forward. Sometimes it does this twice.

To avoid it, all I have to do is tap the accelerator for a few seconds before dropping the car into drive.

Got my car into the dealer today to check it out. They where able to experience the same phenomon. They just called me saying a SW upgrade may fix it. Who knows, will find out tomorrow.

Anyone else see this?

It's a 330i Sport, Cold Weather, Premium. 8,000 miles on the car this week. I've ran Chevron premium for every fill up.
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2005, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
Software upgrade can fix this, software update can fix that....BS...they say it always when they have no idea how to fix the problem. Tell them that you have pain in you knee and I am sure the will say "...software update can may fix that".
What I'd recommend you to do is not to try to pull out of the garage as soon as everything stops beeping. Give a car five minutes to worm up. This is what I usually do. Lately it started to shake a little bit when I first start it in the morning. So I give it about 5 minutes or so of a worm up time. I am not a mechanic, it just my opinion. Let me ask you this question: when you already driving the car during the day, and you stopped somewhere for 30 minutes for instance. And them get back to you car and start it after it was worm for most of the day - do you experience the same behavior? If so then you may indeed have a problem. If not - I doubt very much that software update has anything to do with it. Again I am not a mechanic.
mike
Old 11-02-2005, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishenka
Software upgrade can fix this, software update can fix that....BS...they say it always when they have no idea how to fix the problem. Tell them that you have pain in you knee and I am sure the will say "...software update can may fix that".
What I'd recommend you to do is not to try to pull out of the garage as soon as everything stops beeping. Give a car five minutes to worm up. This is what I usually do. Lately it started to shake a little bit when I first start it in the morning. So I give it about 5 minutes or so of a worm up time. I am not a mechanic, it just my opinion. Let me ask you this question: when you already driving the car during the day, and you stopped somewhere for 30 minutes for instance. And them get back to you car and start it after it was worm for most of the day - do you experience the same behavior? If so then you may indeed have a problem. If not - I doubt very much that software update has anything to do with it. Again I am not a mechanic.
mike
While I'm also shady about the SW upgrade comment. I'll take the upgrade and they will test it again in the morning. I've had cars that I always let warm up for 5 minutes and cars I didn't. Never really saw much of a difference. With my E-90 I've been always starting off like this and its definitely more pronounced now, but for probably the first 6000 miles it never even did this. Maybe its crap in the injectors or something like that. We will see. Thanks for the input though.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
FWIW, I had a similar problem last winter with my 2003 X5 - hesitation on first start, much worse when cold.

I'd back out of the garage (no gas needed, like the first poster), down the driveway and then shift into D. I'd step on the gas, and nothing would happen, for about as long as it would take for me to look down to make sure I was definitely in D and not N. Then everything would be fine and I'd drive off, no problems the rest of the day.

Warming up the car didn't help. Shifting c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y from R to D didn't matter. A software fix is what fixed it. Something about a valve staying open, letting part of the system depressurize, which was exaggerated when the temperature dropped.

That was last year, right around Christmas. No trouble during the entire Jan-April cold weather, and no reoccurence during the first cold here in October-November either.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 11-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzer
FWIW, I had a similar problem last winter with my 2003 X5 - hesitation on first start, much worse when cold.

I'd back out of the garage (no gas needed, like the first poster), down the driveway and then shift into D. I'd step on the gas, and nothing would happen, for about as long as it would take for me to look down to make sure I was definitely in D and not N. Then everything would be fine and I'd drive off, no problems the rest of the day.

Warming up the car didn't help. Shifting c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y from R to D didn't matter. A software fix is what fixed it. Something about a valve staying open, letting part of the system depressurize, which was exaggerated when the temperature dropped.

That was last year, right around Christmas. No trouble during the entire Jan-April cold weather, and no reoccurence during the first cold here in October-November either.
My 2002 325xi had a similar glitch - they replaced the transmission under warranty. Fixed everything.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to quackman
Mein Auto: 2006 electric red 330i
When my car is on a cold start, I wait until the RPMs drop to normal idle before I start driving.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Any idea why E90 doesn't have engine temp guage like most cars GOD makes ?

2006 325i (current)
2002 Toyota Camry (2001-2005)
1980 Peugeot 505 (1995-2001)
Old 11-03-2005, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Jeep Liberty
I have the same issue with my pre-September 330i with auto transmission. I took the car into the dealership two days ago for the same problem you described. The service dept updated the software on the car and said the problem should be fixed. I picked up the car last night.

This morning I was interested to see if the problem was fixed and started to back out of the garage... The car stumbled and caught and stumbled again, then ran fine once I put the car in drive and pulled away. Needless to say the software update did not fix the problem.

I'm interested in the comment that Commander Crash made about a transmission replacement fixing the problem. I've noticed that every now and then my transmission makes a kind of metallic slapping noise when shifting the car between park, reverse, and drive. Do you think this could be related to the cold start hesitation?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 06 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarradah
Any idea why E90 doesn't have engine temp guage like most cars GOD makes ?
I have read that the engine doesn’t run at a set temperature. The temperature fluctuates more then most engines. Supposedly there are 4 different operating temperatures depending on the driving condition. This could confuse people if it was shown on a gauge.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:02 PM

Hmmm That's interesting

2006 325i (current)
Old 11-04-2005, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 06 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarradah
Hmmm That's interesting
Here is an explanation that I saw on another site:
“The E90 is kind of special in that the magnesium engine with the new thermal management (heated thermostat and electric waterpump - electronically controlled) has a far wider range of operating temperature. To increase fuel efficiency and power output, the operating water temperature is intentionally regulated by the ECU to temperatures between 75deg C and 125 deg C depending on driving conditions. Slow driving in traffic with little demand for power will make the ECU run the water hot to improve fuel efficiency, high power demand will have the ECU regulate the water temp to low values to improve power output.

Classic thermal management (belt driven pump and simple thermostat) would regulate to remps between 90 deg C and 120 deg C).”

I also frequent e90post.com. There is a guy over there, e90fleet, that really knows the e90. There are several threads over there about the lack of the gauge. His response is always similar to my original post. I have never seen this explanation disputed. Do you have other information?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:13 PM

Thanks rkwjr. I read e90post every know and then too, I like bimmerfest more though but that was very informative

2006 325i (current)